Default Becoming a catch and shoot player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQn4TlHEnw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKSxMu8iSBs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSF8otJH8Y

watching them play is just a thing of beauty. something that i want to model my game after.

any tips and advices on how to become one? I imagine you need great stamina for this kind of play style, and a quick release.

and you need guys willing to set screens for you its gonna be hard
    Last edited by keep-itreal; 06-14-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Becoming a catch and shoot player

Basically you have to have a fast release, great confidence in your shot, and yea like you said stamina. Have yourself an array of moves to get away from the defender if there isn't a screen set for you

1. Getting elevation on your jump shot
    2. Squaring your shoulders so you can jump quickly and still make your shot slightly off-center.

Get your feet set with knees bent and once you catch the ball, all you have to do is rise up and follow through. It helps if you have a quick release and if your jump shot is "one motion".

Getting your feet set is 80% of the shot imo, you can square off whatever is comfortable. Myself, I have my feet set that allows my shooting shoulder to be aligned towards the basker. Kinda like steph curry open stance.

Serious playground baller

How bad did Ben Gorden walk on the first shot of the first Youtube link

Not airballing my layups anymore

I just started to become a catch and shoot player. I got tired of catching the ball and then trying to make a play for teammates or dribbling around until I could get closer to the rim.

I'm a fairly decent shooter so I figured why not just try for the first opportunity to get a decent shot up. So if a guy inbounds the ball to me, I'm just squaring up and shooting.

I started doing this this week and hit 4 3 pointers in a row but then my teammates wanted to shoot too so they froze me out the rest of the game and we lost lol. They care more about getting their own shots than winning lol.

The next day I went 0-4 in a game and we lost the run.

Love watching ben Gordon and Ray Allen in those videos.

I am a good catch and shoot player. You need to be very fast, and your teammates know how to set some screen/pick. I still attack the basketball when I know that I can beat my opponent 1 on 1.

hello, thx for the tips and advices guys.

One thing I noticed while practicing, I have small hands which makes it really hard for me to control how I want to release the ball. Am I screwed?

Spot-up shooting I'm okay because at least I have some time to get a good grip on the ball before releasing it.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal
    hello, thx for the tips and advices guys.

One thing I noticed while practicing, I have small hands which makes it really hard for me to control how I want to release the ball. Am I screwed?

Spot-up shooting I'm okay because at least I have some time to get a good grip on the ball before releasing it.
    Heck no you're not screwed. I'm 6'3'' but I'm built like a T-Rex, meaning I have arms and hands disproportionately short in comparison to the rest of my body. I cannot come very close to palming a basketball. I'm not even sure I can palm a women's ball. Still, shooting is not an issue.

Stabilizing the ball on a jump shot is not about hand size. In fact, stabilization is the whole point of your left hand being on the ball to begin with. A jump shot is a one-handed motion. Our strong hand is beneath the ball and we push it forward and upward as we jump. The only reason our left hand is there is to prevent the ball from falling off our pedestal. As such, hand size should not really matter, as the left hand should be in charge of keeping things balanced, and it doesn't take much hand size to do so.

I'd say just concentrate on spreading your fingers wide, placing the ball on the pads of your hand (not the palm), and find a shooting pocket that correctly allows you to control the ball with your guide hand (left) and shooting hand (right), assuming you're right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Heck no you're not screwed. I'm 6'3'' but I'm built like a T-Rex, meaning I have arms and hands disproportionately short in comparison to the rest of my body. I cannot come very close to palming a basketball. I'm not even sure I can palm a women's ball. Still, shooting is not an issue.

Stabilizing the ball on a jump shot is not about hand size. In fact, stabilization is the whole point of your left hand being on the ball to begin with. A jump shot is a one-handed motion. Our strong hand is beneath the ball and we push it forward and upward as we jump. The only reason our left hand is there is to prevent the ball from falling off our pedestal. As such, hand size should not really matter, as the left hand should be in charge of keeping things balanced, and it doesn't take much hand size to do so.

I'd say just concentrate on spreading your fingers wide, placing the ball on the pads of your hand (not the palm), and find a shooting pocket that correctly allows you to control the ball with your guide hand (left) and shooting hand (right), assuming you're right handed.

wow good stuff. Thanks alot man. I'll keep practicing

Saw a basketball once

Physically I'd say what was already mentioned, elevation, but I'd add a strong core/back. When you're trying to stay square a lot of the time you can make up for poor balance if you have a strong core.

Skill wise,
    quick release - I used to practice by throwing a ball off a wall and having to beat an imaginary .05 shot clock. You get used to it.
    foot work - if you're feet are square you get increased elevation and balance
    high release - if you can't add vert you can learn to adjust your shot to release at a higher point (think kobe/kg being the extreme on top of their head) but that takes even more strength/stamina (esp in the triceps/back) but if perfected would make for a very difficult shooter to match up with

being a catch and shoot player is almost entirely how you prepare before you catch the ball

1) if you're taking a three, take a step back from the line so you can step into your shot

2) hands up, knees bent, this applies to anytime you don't have the ball so this should be a given.

3) elevation. it creates distance vertically from a player who may be trailing you. so instead of trailing you half a step, if you elevate you now gain that half step PLUS that vertical distance to shoot. again, most of that depends on how you prepare yourself before the shot

4) if you have the proper mechanics, just let if fly. when taking catch and shoot jumpers i try to remember BEEF, Balance, Elbow, Eye (elbow of your shooting arm should be above eye level when you release the ball to get a nice high release) Follow through. its important to be comfortable, but without the right mechanics and a lot of repetition itll be hard to know what went wrong if you missed.

5) practice. repetition. get a buddy or teammate and challenge them to a shooting contest from as many spots on the floor as you like. competition always seems to speed up the learning process.