Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Gaming

Default PC Gaming

I really want to PC game. After seeing those graphics. I'm on a HP G60, sure thing I can always update my Laptop with money. However, does anyone here game on a laptop? So far my laptop doesn't meet the requirements for MW3 or BF3, I was wondering what should I do to make it meet those requirements?

I tried updating my driver for Nvidia but it didn't work I guess. I'm on AMD Athlon X2.

Here is a report from canyourunit.com

Is this bad? How do I meet those requirements? PC gamers, help!

Default Re: PC Gaming

your videocard & processor aint that fast enough.... but you could try run BF3 in low/med settings.... BF3 on PC looks great on any settings imo

but what i would do if i was you is to slap myself a couple of times first for buying a laptop... and then sell the laptop and buy a real PC... that would give more than enough money to build a gaming PC...

Laptop = expensive and very slow (and not really upgradeable) compared to a real PC...

for that same money you bought the HP G60 you could have bought a powerful PC to play any game today decently... you could had a rig of something like Athlon X4 processor with Nvidia 560 and 8 gb ram and 1000 gb harddrive, joystick, mouse, keyboard and a 20 inch monitor... thats about 400-500$.......... Its THAT cheap if you build your own PC that is, you buy the parts sepparately and install everything yourself
    Last edited by pauk; 01-10-2012 at 06:02 PM.

I just purchased a gaming laptop after like 4-5 years of just playing on PS3. Oh man, is it worth it. PC > PS3. But it also depends on the kind of games you enjoy. I never had a console before a PS3 and only played on PC so I have always had an affinity to PC games (RPG, FPS, Strategy etc.)

I purchased a beast laptop during black friday for $900 from newegg. Great deal imo.

Price went up now unfortunately.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152266

kings fan

Laptops aren't user friendly when it comes up upgrading, so you're stuck with what you have. Your best option, next to doing something better with your time, is to put together a separate computer. If that interests you, tell us what your budget would be.

pauk is lying, by the way. It's not that inexpensive.
    Last edited by cuad; 01-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuad
    Laptops aren't user friendly when it comes up upgrading, so you're stuck with what you have. Your best option, next to doing something better with your time, is to put together a separate computer. If that interests you, tell us what your budget would be.

pauk is lying, by the way. It's not that inexpensive.
    dunno how the prices are where you are from... but i bought my parts like this:

Athlon X4
    Nvidia gtx 560
    2 x 4GB ram
    1000 gb sata harddrive
    Asus Motherboard
    Computer case
    cd-dvd-rw

= 550$

and i play BF3/Skyrim and so on now on Maximum settings... anything else is an overkill imo...

so i mean you can get in the 400-500 range if you pick some "slower" parts and still play BF3 on high settings.. then again if you need Monitor, computer case and some other extra goodies to go along with it you will get in the 650-800$ range....

however you twist and turn it............. a PC in the same price range as a Laptop the PC will ALWAYS be more powerful..... you get much more bang for your money.... plus you can upgrade, anytime in the future if your PC is a bit to slow for a game......... and that means only replacing the CPU/Videocard.... until 5-10 years have passed when you have to change the motherboard and so on aswell for the new brand cpu/ram/whatever....
    Last edited by pauk; 01-10-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Great responses. I don't know how to make my own computer, I used to be really good with computers but fell off. I know a thing or two, but building and creating one with specific parts isn't my thing, (yet). Can you guys tell me how I could improve on this? I know you can make and buy your own computer online, my friend did it a few months ago in my house but I was just unaware. I guess he was building a beast computer from $500-600. I didn't buy this laptop, I got it as a gift from my grandfather a while ago.

I can't sell it because the screen is giving some problems. Whenever I touch the screen it glitches, I wouldn't get any money for it so I'll keep it. I have the money, but I don't know what to do. Gaming on the computer seems strange, I'm used to a big ass HDTV. Other then that the mouse and keys. There is a controller right? For all of this?

Is it possible you can hook up the computer to the HDTV through HDMI and play it on the big screen?

kings fan

I said "putting together" in my last because "creating" or "building" makes the process sounds more complicated than it actually is. The first step is to get to know the basic components that go into the computer case. They are:

the computer case image
    the power supply unit (PSU) image
    the hard drive (HDD / HD) image
    the motherboard image
    -- the processor (CPU) image
    -- the processor's heatsink intel's stock POS heatsink & after market heatsink (better)
    -- the memory (RAM) ugly sticks that look like this
    -- the video card (GPU) image & GPUs come in many fancy designs and are sometimes called graphics cards

that's the hardware in a basic complete computer. each component is easily recognizable, so you won't confuse a PSU with the processor's heatsink.

Test You Understanding: have a look at this picture and see if you can identify the eight components listed above. (You won't be able to see the processor (CPU) because the heatsink is sitting on top of it.)
    Last edited by cuad; 01-10-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Alright cool. How much have all of you guys spent on your gaming PC's. How often do you upgrade things in it, what do you upgrade in it to be specific, graphics card? Over a period of years after building it, how many more years after did it take for you to update it once again?

kings fan

I'm pretty sure you can put together a computer that will last through 2015 or whenever the new xbox comes out for less than $1000. The only thing you might want to upgrade then would be your graphics card.

The parts in your laptop look like 2007/2008 parts, so 3-5 years.
    Last edited by cuad; 01-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuad
    I'm pretty sure you can put together a computer that will last through 2015 or whenever the new xbox comes out for less than $1000. The only thing you might want to upgrade then would be your graphics card.

The parts in your laptop look like 2007/2008 parts, so 3-5 years.
    Thanks so much. You guys are great, repped everyone.

kings fan

Here's a thread/forum where you can get more ideas/info/help

http://www.overclock.net/t/1195657/8...ng-build-ideas

My one serious recommendation if you do go through with this is to choose the i5-2500k as your processor, specifically from Micro Center. Here's the link. They have a store in Long Island/Westbury.

Components comes with detailed instructions for installation. There are countless youtube videos and other guides across the internet.
    Last edited by cuad; 01-10-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Alright cool. How much have all of you guys spent on your gaming PC's. How often do you upgrade things in it, what do you upgrade in it to be specific, graphics card? Over a period of years after building it, how many more years after did it take for you to update it once again?
    I built my PC over 3.5 years ago for about $1200 and so far all I've added to it was a 1GB graphics card (bought it practically brand new from a friend for $250, retail was $400), a 2TB hard drive ($80) and recently a blu-ray drive ($79) as its hooked up to my 50-inch Plasma TV.

Due to the old motherboard I can't upgrade to a brand new CPU or get DDR3 RAM, but I'm still able to play recent stuff like Deus Ex and Saints Row 3 without any problems.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I bought my PC about 2.5 years ago? I can't remember exactly. Paid a total of around $1400 (including tax and everything) and I still play all games maxed out in quality. I haven't upgraded anything yet. The Witcher 2 ran incredibly well for me.

I was out of the PC components loop for a while too but there's great forums around that will help with your choices. I bought from NCIX here in Canada and they charge an extra $50 to build your PC after you pick all your parts which I was happy to pay.

I'm curious, is it easy to upgrade the things inside the PC? Like opening it up, removing the lets say graphics card, and buying a new one and replacing it? How many computers can do that? Don't the new boards or whatever get smaller or come in different sizes?

kings fan

Yes it's easy. Today's graphics cards go in the PCIe x16 slots on your motherboard. (The long white/red slots in this picture are PCIe x16 slots.) There are three PCIe x16 slots on this motherboard. One is white and the other two are dark blue.

Have a look at this video card. There are gold colored teeth at the bottom of it. That's what plugs into the PCIe x16 slot.

Motherboards come in different size classes (not just sizes). All motherboards within a size class will have the screw holes in the same place, so you don't have to worry. As long as the motherboard has a PCIe x!6 slot and there is enough room in your computer case, you can put any PCIe x16 graphics card in it.
    Last edited by cuad; 01-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.