Page 92 of 166 FirstFirst ... 428289909192939495102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2487
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Lakers/NBA Trade/FA Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    I believe Lakers have about 22 Million left to spend, after Kobe and Nash's (plus scrub contracts like Sacre) and chose not to go after "pieces". After "inquiries" about Lebron and Carmelo's camp, we didn't hear them offer any contracts to the midtier free agents. If I recall, you even said, Dallas was in the worst situation than the Lakers bec they were on the hook with those contracts while the Lakers will have all the cap room next summer.
    Im not saying that Dallas is now the heavy favorites, but I have stated before that those pieces they collected can also be flipped or traded for better players bec those contracts were not expensive ones....
    I think I've said for a long time that this FA class is a weak one. Who do you plan on getting with that 22 million? The Lakers needed to have a chance at one of the good FA's last off season to be in a good situation. Now the build is going to be much longer. They're better off just sucking the next few years and hoping to be in the top 5 in the draft. I don't see Aldridge going anywhere. Gasol probably isn't either. Rondo is no longer an option. Tell me who it is that changes this franchise around all the sudden and where this cap space gets you?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think I've said for a long time that this FA class is a weak one. Who do you plan on getting with that 22 million? The Lakers needed to have a chance at one of the good FA's last off season to be in a good situation. Now the build is going to be much longer. They're better off just sucking the next few years and hoping to be in the top 5 in the draft. I don't see Aldridge going anywhere. Gasol probably isn't either. Rondo is no longer an option. Tell me who it is that changes this franchise around all the sudden and where this cap space gets you?
    The fact is that superstars rarely change teams outright through FA. The last guys to do it were LeBron and Dwight. And before them...Shaq.

People always talk about how "Players love to play in L.A." and that "L.A. always attracts free agents" but look at the recent history. What big name FAs did the Lakers sign in the last...8 years? A close to 40 year old Steve Nash? Nick Young? The fact is that the Lakers had a cornerstone to build around (One of the 10 greatest players ever) and some decent trade assets. Now, they have neither. They leveraged their future to try and win now and big with the Nash signing and Dwight trade and it failed. Now they're going to be up shit creek for years to come. I'm talking mid 90s pre-Shaq when Magic was coaching. Actually even worse than that tbh

NBA lottery pick

Yeah, With the current rules people don't realize it takes about 5 years of actual rebuilding to be good. Even though the Lakers haven't been good they put off the rebuilding. Of course it wasn't their fault. I still believe David Stern killed the Lakers. LA offered New Orleans a better package for Chris Paul. He shot it down and took a crappy offer from the Clippers. Look at where the Pelicans are at with Gordon now (who the trade was centered around). Pau Gasol on the other hand still has a lot of game left. I always said I never wanted Gordon on my team with that big of a contract. Now everyone knows why. Had the Lakers landed Paul they still would have landed Howard. Then he would have stayed too. Instead the Lakers had to settle for Nash. It seemed like a good consolation prize at the time but little did anybody know he was completely done. So injuries and Howard leaving set back the rebuilding process a few years. The Lakers aren't going to be good for at least another 3 years now. And that's hoping they land a top 5 pick (that isn't a bust) this season.

Banned

Yeah the nixed CP3 trade killed them. Then, refusing to at least shop Dwight when it was clear he wasn't happy in L.A. was a mistake as well.

Pau has game left, but he's not at bonafide 2nd option level anymore. He's on a team now where the spotlight really isn't on him and he isn't expected to practically carry the team alongside someone else like he was in L.A. If he were still in a Lakers uniform I don't think he'd be playing at the level he's been playing at recently.

Honestly, it's hard for me to see the Lakers recovering anytime soon. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but even after Kobe is gone and they have a lot of money..what else do they have? No picks, no tradeable assets, just money. Money means nothing if you don't have players to spend it on. There are like 3-4 guys in the league who can completely change the direction of a franchise themselves, and they're all on winning teams right now. Add in the questionable management and the uncertain future there and you realize (great) players have zero incentive to come play for the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Dallas tried to sign Deron Williams but couldn't.
    Tried to get a really good defensive center in Dwight but didn't.
    Instead of going in tank mode, they acquired assets that are good and tradeable.
    Didn't get Dwight?, fine, they get Jose Calderon and Brandan Wright. The next year, they traded Calderon for a pretty good defensive minded center in Tyson Chandler.
    They moved to get OJ Mayo, then let him go to get Ellis for a pretty cheap 7 mil/year. The next year they get Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris.
    Looking back, they still feel they need a really good PG so what do they do?
    They asked Boston, hey, we want Rondo, what do you guys want from our team?
    Oh we like Wright and Nelson,
    ok, you can have them.
    So from Not getting Dwight and Deron (which was fortunate in retrospect), they managed to procure Chandler, Parsons, Ellis and now Rondo.

Home of the 16

Instead of going in tank mode, they acquired assets that are good and tradeable.
    Didn't get Dwight?, fine, they get Jose Calderon and Brandan Wright. The next year, they traded Calderon for a pretty good defensive minded center in Tyson Chandler.
    They moved to get OJ Mayo, then let him go to get Ellis for a pretty cheap 7 mil/year. The next year they get Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris.
    ok, you can have them.
    So from Not getting Dwight and Deron (which was fortunate in retrospect), they managed to procure Chandler, Parsons, Ellis and now Rondo.
    I like what you didthere. lol. But yeah, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    I like what you didthere. lol. But yeah, this is true.
    lol, you caught it ha.
    There were some misses for Dallas, Odom heads the list but the concept of collecting assets is good IMO.
    OKC path of tanking...errr losing worked but is not a guarantee of success.
    btw, I really think Byron Scott should start playing and developing Jordan Clarkson. This guy has potential but looked lost out there.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Start Tarik Black

This kid will show up for practice today, and be the best center on our roster from day one. I think we should start him alongside Davis. Hill was playing his best alongside Boozer anyways, so we should move HIll to the bench with Boozer.

Best rotation:

Price/Bryant/Johnson/Davis/Black (D-Unit)
    Lin/Ellington/Young/Boozer/Hill (Instant Offense)
    Clarkson/Kelly/Randle/Sacre (Spare Parts)

Very good NBA starter

ok, you can have them.
    This guy gets it. Too many posters on here whine that signing so and so players won't make us contenders. Well how the fcuk else do you build a team? It irritates me to no end when posters dismiss guys like Bledsoe, Monroe, Thomas and Stephenson. Any of these guys would have made a difference. It's not always about just signing superstars. Make smart signings, build assets and then make the big move for a superstar. Sadly it seems the front office has the mindset of the opposite. And if that's true it will probably take 3-5 years before we're even a playoff team.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    This guy gets it. Too many posters on here whine that signing so and so players won't make us contenders. Well how the fcuk else do you build a team? It irritates me to no end when posters dismiss guys like Bledsoe, Monroe, Thomas and Stephenson. Any of these guys would have made a difference. It's not always about just signing superstars. Make smart signings, build assets and then make the big move for a superstar. Sadly it seems the front office has the mindset of the opposite. And if that's true it will probably take 3-5 years before we're even a playoff team.
    I think the front office only cares about selling tickets. People will always pay to see a superstar. The Lakers have a history of it. Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Karl Malone, and the list goes on.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by mr sax
    I think the front office only cares about selling tickets. People will always pay to see a superstar. The Lakers have a history of it. Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Karl Malone, and the list goes on.
    People will pay to see a winning team, not trash. You still don't see the point you're not getting that superstar unless you make the intermediate moves and signings along the way.

Home of the 16

Even if the Lakers would have gotten Melo, it still wouldn't make any difference. Probably no Jordan Hill & we're stuck with Ed Davis , Sacre & possibly Boozer. Looking back to the Shaq trade, another journey began into being a contending team right after they traded Shaq that included Lamar Odom which who later became an important piece to the team.

I don't keep up much with the rumors, but if Al Jefferson declines his player option next year, damn, I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but this will be way even bigger than Melo. With how they're constructing the roster right now even though they have a lot of expirers--I think big Al will fit right in . Way better than Dwight. Imagine Kobe teaching him moves that he might not know yet as of now, learning from the Mamba & also having Randle learn from the both of them. OH MY GOODNESS. What a team that will be.

Imagine: ?/Kobe/?/Randle/Al Jefferson

Next year, I hope & I'm pretty sure the Lakers will decline Hill's team option & hopefully they can get a discount. lol

This a pipedream right now. haha
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 12-30-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Home of the 16

I don't know if Wesley Johnson will ever evolve as a player, but if the Lakers can keep him as a prospect & sign a vet 3 next year & use him to guide Wesley Johnson, that would be really interesting. Probably a Ron Artest? Matt Barnes? ... Only if their contracts' expiring next year.

The way he's built ... I'm just really a fan of his athleticism. & if you can turn him into a super athletic Trevor Ariza, jeez.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    Even if the Lakers would have gotten Melo, it still wouldn't make any difference. Probably no Jordan Hill & we're stuck with Ed Davis , Sacre & possibly Boozer. Looking back to the Shaq trade, another journey began into being a contending team right after they traded Shaq that included Lamar Odom which who later became an important piece to the team.

I don't keep up much with the rumors, but if Al Jefferson declines his player option next year, damn, I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but this will be way even bigger than Melo. With how they're constructing the roster right now even though they have a lot of expirers--I think big Al will fit right in . Way better than Dwight. Imagine Kobe teaching him moves that he might not know yet as of now, learning from the Mamba & also having Randle learn from the both of them. OH MY GOODNESS. What a team that will be.

Imagine: ?/Kobe/?/Randle/Al Jefferson

Next year, I hope & I'm pretty sure the Lakers will decline Hill's team option & hopefully they can get a discount. lol

This a pipedream right now. haha
    I really like Al Jefferson. I feel like he's really under rated in the NBA. Mostly because of where he's played. When he was in Boston for a minute people knew he had a ton of potential. Since then he's been hid away. Even in Utah he just didn't get the credit he deserved. They drafted Kanter. Looks like that is working out. Although I will say Rudy Gobert has played decent for them lately.

ok, you can have them.
    I feel like dallas has done a excellent job rebuilding their team. But they got lucky on a lot of instances. Probably the biggest reason is Dirk signing a tiny deal. How lucky is that? Also, they happened to get pretty lucky with Parsons as he was being pushed aside as the Rockets were trying to land a big time free agent. They got Ellis on a great deal and were able to wheel and deal some players to get guys who fit better.

My point is, the way the Mavs rebuilt is not very common or very easy. A lot of things have to go right. History says teams that try this method of rebuild usually end up with a treadmill team or prolong the rebuild. I think Dallas made the most with what they had and executed a smart plan but a lot of things fell into place or fell into their laps.