Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Measuring Michael Jordan's and Vince Carter's Vertical Leap

While looking for a new avatar, I found this pretty interesting website that measured Jordan's and Vince's vertical through video analysis. So far I only found Vince and Jordan, but they also do video analysis for other sports.

http://videosportsanalysis.blogspot....1987-slam.html

Apparently Jordan had a 41.3" vertical for the dunk they measured, and Vince had a 37.6.

Vince's vertical is listed at I believe 43" and Jordan was listed at 48", and in a way the video analysis makes it seem more legit to me, considering they weren't jumping comfortably way up under the proper conditions, but doing complicated dunks.

Here's the Vince Carter analisis. Hopefully they'll do more NBA players in the future.

http://videosportsanalysis.blogspot....Vince%20Carter

College superstar

Default Re: Measuring Michael Jordan's and Vince Carter's Vertical Leap

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    While looking for a new avatar, I found this pretty interesting website that measured Jordan's and Vince's vertical through video analysis. So far I only found Vince and Jordan, but they also do video analysis for other sports.

http://videosportsanalysis.blogspot....1987-slam.html

Apparently Jordan had a 41.3" vertical for the dunk they measured, and Vince had a 37.6.

Vince's vertical is listed at I believe 43" and Jordan was listed at 48", and in a way the video analysis makes it seem more legit to me, considering they weren't jumping comfortably way up under the proper conditions, but doing complicated dunks.

Here's the Vince Carter analisis. Hopefully they'll do more NBA players in the future.

http://videosportsanalysis.blogspot....Vince%20Carter
    MJ is the G.O.A.T but a 48inch vert is HUGE I think it was at very most 43inches. 48 is just flat out insane!

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    MJ is the G.O.A.T but a 48inch vert is HUGE I think it was at very most 43inches. 48 is just flat out insane!
    48 is insane, but I don't think 43" is enough to dunk from the free throw line at Jordan's height. I mean, I believe Vince has longer arms than Jordan and he's listed at 43" and he's never managed to jump from the behind the free throw line.

College superstar

48 is insane, but I don't think 43" is enough to dunk from the free throw line at Jordan's height. I mean, I believe Vince has longer arms than Jordan and he's listed at 43" and he's never managed to jump from the behind the free throw line.
    Free throw line dunks don't neccessarily need as much height as it does distance (same princepal as long jumpers). Players like Scottie Pippen and Brent Barry dunked from the free throw line as well.

The max running vert for Jordan I would say is 44.5inches.

Vince did it a step inside the line, two handed with ease. I think he could do it, no sweat.

I'm sure a Prime Vince could probably jump from behind the free throw line. He was just a freak of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Vince did it a step inside the line, two handed with ease. I think he could do it, no sweat.
    Vince Carter is the greatest dunker of all time, but it’s obvious from his free throw line attempts that he just needed a little bit more, also when you take into consideration that his arms are longer than Jordan’s. (I think but I’m not sure) And I just saw that 2 handed dunked, that was waaay inside, nowhere near behind the free throw line, or around the free throw line, which Jordan did routinely with ease and without straining, cause Jordan also looked like could have dunk from further if he went all out and reaching. Bottom line, whatever their verticals were, Jordan could jump a little higher based video footage, but in my opinion in terms of dunks Jordan is number 2 behind Carter.
    Last edited by jstern; 10-02-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Free throw line dunks don't neccessarily need as much height as it does distance (same princepal as long jumpers). Players like Scottie Pippen and Brent Barry dunked from the free throw line as well.

The max running vert for Jordan I would say is 44.5inches.
    Perhaps, but also consider that Pippen and Barry were taller than Jordan and extended their arms more. Taller, and longer arms, and reaching means Jordan had to jump significantly higher than them.

College superstar

Perhaps, but also consider that Pippen and Barry were taller than Jordan and extended their arms more. Taller, and longer arms, and reaching means Jordan had to jump significantly higher than them.
    your right about Pip, he is a legit 6'8 with a huge wing span. Brent barry is only listed as an inch taller. I'd say a max running vert of 44.5 inches is definately more accurate than 48.

Either way Jordan was/is a rare specimen of how athletic humans can be.

your right about Pip, he is a legit 6'8 with a huge wing span. Brent barry is only listed as an inch taller. I'd say a max running vert of 44.5 inches is definately more accurate than 48.

Either way Jordan was/is a rare specimen of how athletic humans can be.
    I mean yeah, 44.5 sounds more realistic to me, but there

Banned

very cool site, man, great find

Banned

I think Jordan even was higher then this on his foul line dunk in 1988.
    Anyway, i think a max vert of 44.5 seems realistic for Jordan.

To do a foul line dunk at 6 6, i think a vert 30 is sufficient.
    Look at the foul line dunk Jordan did in the tell me commercial in 1997. I don't think that he's jumping a lot higher then 30 inches in this one. However, it is enough to dunk it from the free throw line if you have the speed and the distance. It's just not as flashy as having the head on rim level. But to do the foul line dunk, a 6 6 guy does not need a lot more then 30. ( If he has the speed of course)

Do you guys think MJ could have done a legit free throw dunk with two hands a la James White?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Do you guys think MJ could have done a legit free throw dunk with two hands a la James White?
    Yes. Easily. And so could have Carter.
    However, in terms of foul line dunking both were not on the level of White. But to do a simple two handed dunk from the foul line wouldn't have been too much ofa problem for both of them.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Jordan was a freak of nature it really is that simple. 41 inches with a basketball is simply mindboggling. Keep in mind he probably jumps about 3-4 inches higher without the ball. A 44 inch vertical is very true for MJ.

Vince was a better dunker, but it is clear he just doesn't get up as high as MJ did. MJ probably has the 2rd or 3rd biggest Vertical in NBA history, you mix that with being the most skilled player ever, while having a 6'6 body and freakish speed. Is the recipe for the GOAT.