Default Which one commands more respect: the armed US police or the unarmed UK police?

This is not UK vs US thread, both forces have had disappointing moments-the mass looting and rioting a few years back in the UK and the same case in the US recently. Also I don't believe either has to imitate the other regarding the arms issue, although I fall on the police should be armed side of the argument.
    I want to know if you think being armed/or not has had any difference on people's perception of the police?

Default Re: Which one commands more respect: the armed US police or the unarmed UK police?

Being armed garner more fear but it doesn't have anything to do with commanding respect.

Default Re: Which one commands more respect: the armed US police or the unarmed UK police?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Being armed garner more fear but it doesn't have anything to do with commanding respect.
    One could argue, an armed cop would give ordinary people more confidence in them to keep them safe, in other words, people would respect the police force's ability to fight criminals no matter if it's true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    One could argue, an armed cop would give ordinary people more confidence in them to keep them safe, in other words, people would respect the police force's ability to fight criminals no matter if it's true or not.
    In some situations having armed policemen do make you feel safer. I guess if by respect you mean that then it does help.

The UK has a weird mentality on this stuff. They're ok with people not having the ability to protect themselves, but they're ok with cameras being literally everywhere and recording everything you do.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    The UK has a weird mentality on this stuff. They're ok with people not having the ability to protect themselves, but they're ok with cameras being literally everywhere and recording everything you do.
    False

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    The cameras prevent crime. I've seen it myself-kids went to rob a store, they were fighting with the store owners for awhile. Then one of the kids noticed the camera was moving and pointing towards them and they all ran away without stealing anything.

Also many of the cameras are fakes/not working but they still prevent crime.

Also they have a TV show kind of like the one in Fahrenheit 451 that shows people who committed crimes on camera being tracked down and brought to justice due to the cameras filming their crime and tracking them afterwards. Kind of like the UK's version of Cops IMO. Don't think many people watch it though.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 05-28-2015 at 11:39 AM.

There is a difference between carrying a gun and this:

In terms of respect, I respect a police officer who can do his job without a gun way more than a police officer who looks like he stole his outfit from the delta force.

But in general I do think a police officer should carry a gun to be able to handle and confront violent crime appropriately. There are very, very few countries who don't give their police a basic pistol. The UK is one of a handful

NBA Superstar

it obviously does

when armed police are killing people, sometimes perceived as innocent, then the people will hate them more.

when armed police instill much more fear then obviously the people will hate them more.

the UK police are like keystone cops. they're like the 3 stooges days video clips, where its in black and white in fast forward mode, with bike helmets and drive over in a paddy wagon, club them a few times and throw them in the back. more a comedy than serious threat.

US has so much violent crime due to guns being everywhere, police being the ones who have to keep the people in line, etc. all contribute a lot more to why they're so despised. those are reasons why comparisons to other countries or to other government overseers like military or fire dept where they're so loved/praised, isn't fair.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    The cameras prevent crime. I've seen it myself-kids went to rob a store, they were fighting with the store owners for awhile. Then one of the kids noticed the camera was moving and pointing towards them and they all ran away without stealing anything.

Also many of the cameras are fakes/not working but they still prevent crime.

Also they have a TV show kind of like the one in Fahrenheit 451 that shows people who committed crimes on camera being tracked down and brought to justice due to the cameras filming their crime and tracking them afterwards. Kind of like the UK's version of Cops IMO. Don't think many people watch it though.
    yup, video cameras everywhere are probably the best deterrent of crime there is. azn countries have KTV i think its called, and its everywhere. it catches so much shit, from drunk drivers to fights, etc. and everyone knows there are cameras so they don't do shit.

America has so many paranoid crazies into their privacy being protected, like so much shit they're worried about hiding, we won't ever have that. i mean you shouldn't have right to privacy in public/government areas IMO, sure if its your own home. but still privacy advocates go nuts over surveillance cameras being put in

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    yup, video cameras everywhere are probably the best deterrent of crime there is. azn countries have KTV i think its called, and its everywhere. it catches so much shit, from drunk drivers to fights, etc. and everyone knows there are cameras so they don't do shit.

America has so many paranoid crazies into their privacy being protected, like so much shit they're worried about hiding, we won't ever have that. i mean you shouldn't have right to privacy in public/government areas IMO, sure if its your own home. but still privacy advocates go nuts over surveillance cameras being put in
    I dunno about that, but the KTVs I visited in Singapore were Karaoke clubs.