Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
    consider the money you drop into that account gone.
    It would have been smoked up anyway right?
    Just try to forget about it...you will be surprised how fast it stacks up.
    Everybodys situation is different..I don't know if you have a good job or what
    but try and save and it will feel good ..
    [COLOR="White"]
    (DON'T SMOKE!)[/COLOR]

yea but the money I'm going to be spending on food the next few weeks is going to be outrageous.

not to mention the $60 I just spent on the patch and gum.

But eventually... I will be saving money... hopefully I don't replace this habit with food and become a fat @ss.... even for a guy as skinny as me, it's possible.

just smoked my last cigarette... My quit time just started.

Good luck.

I smoked, very casually, while in college. Never did get a hook in me, which I'm thankful for.

BUT...and this is for all the smokers out there...I ended up with a rare genetic deficiency that resulted in a rapidly progressing form of emphysema.
    Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. Usually not detected until mid-life (I was in my 30's). http://alpha1.org/

I went from running hoops with guys half my age to on oxygen, 24/7, in the space of about 5 years.

You have no idea what it's like when your lungs are shutting down. Imagine the most out of breath you've ever been...the scary out of breath...and think about having that desperate need for air all the time. Slowly walking across a room. Bending over. Sitting.

I ended up having a double lung transplant after nearly dying, and am in great health now. My chest hurts ever day from where they sawed through my sternum and wired it back together. I have to take 30 pills a day to guard against rejection, which can h=appen at any time.

Oh, smokers? If you get that sick, they usually won't give you a transplant. Odds of you slipping back into smoking are too high. At best you'll get one lung, which isn't much of an improvement.

I spent my first 25-30 years of life basically ignoring advice given to me. Was pretty sure I knew everything anyway. But if you listen to only one thing in your life, listen to this.

Don't smoke. If you do, quit TODAY.

Good luck! Don't let anyone convince you it's too hard or not worth it. And whatever works for you is the right way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler
    yea but the money I'm going to be spending on food the next few weeks is going to be outrageous.

But eventually... I will be saving money... hopefully I don't replace this habit with food and become a fat @ss.... even for a guy as skinny as me, it's possible.
    Healthy snacks at hand all the time. Carrots, celery, apples...whatever you can stomach...always around. It'll help guard against the really bad food choices.

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

I have gained some weight.. also I quit just before turning 30 so. .. the last year and a half I have changed a bit...
    now in my 30's and I love food even more now. Things taste..
    I have more taste going on... I like food. My taste buds are in full effect now that I quit smoking...

I should go for a jog

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
    consider the money you drop into that account gone.
    It would have been smoked up anyway right?
    Just try to forget about it...you will be surprised how fast it stacks up.
    Everybodys situation is different..I don't know if you have a good job or what
    but try and save and it will feel good ..
    [COLOR="White"]
    (DON'T SMOKE!)[/COLOR]
    oh yea... And most importantly... I'll be having better sex.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Good luck.

I smoked, very casually, while in college. Never did get a hook in me, which I'm thankful for.

BUT...and this is for all the smokers out there...I ended up with a rare genetic deficiency that resulted in a rapidly progressing form of emphysema.
    Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. Usually not detected until mid-life (I was in my 30's). http://alpha1.org/

I went from running hoops with guys half my age to on oxygen, 24/7, in the space of about 5 years.

You have no idea what it's like when your lungs are shutting down. Imagine the most out of breath you've ever been...the scary out of breath...and think about having that desperate need for air all the time. Slowly walking across a room. Bending over. Sitting.

I ended up having a double lung transplant after nearly dying, and am in great health now. My chest hurts ever day from where they sawed through my sternum and wired it back together. I have to take 30 pills a day to guard against rejection, which can h=appen at any time.

Oh, smokers? If you get that sick, they usually won't give you a transplant. Odds of you slipping back into smoking are too high. At best you'll get one lung, which isn't much of an improvement.

I spent my first 25-30 years of life basically ignoring advice given to me. Was pretty sure I knew everything anyway. But if you listen to only one thing in your life, listen to this.

Don't smoke. If you do, quit TODAY.

Good luck! Don't let anyone convince you it's too hard or not worth it. And whatever works for you is the right way to do it.
    Damn bro... I am so sorry to hear about your lungs and everything that you have been through..
    I don't know what to say man... that is rough.

Any of you teenagers (or adults) that come into this thread better learn something from all of this conversation going on. Just quit fellas..
    Hard days ahead...best quit today...... please think about it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim
    Before I actually stopped, I first cut down on the ritual smoking. No cig when first waking up, no cig after a meal, no cig before bed, etc. This got me down to probably 4-5 per day.

Around that point I told everybody I knew that I had quit, and was forced to smoke when nobody else was around. And I couldn't reek of smoke either. Anyway, eventually I was down to just one or two per day whenever I could sneak them at which point stopping was easy.

One other thing I did was always keep cigarettes in the house, for months after I quit. The strongest ingrained behavior for me was buying cigarettes when I didn't have any. If the thought occurred to me that I had no cigarettes, muscle memory kicked in and 20 minutes later I was 3 into a new pack. Crazy stuff.
    I think it's when people like you realize that smoking pretty much controls your life, you decide it's time to quit.

Schedules have to be planned around when you can take a break for a smoke. Plus smokers use cigarettes as an excuse not to work. Smokers=less efficient.

wish me luck.

going cold turkey.

$hit aint gonna be comfortable for the next few weeks.
    And in 5 years you are going to get hit by a car and die....

**** that shit....just smoke, if your times comes it comes

ya i failed quitting for the 3rd attempt

but ill try again in summer, got some nicotine gum but that doesnt work at all

Next up, quit posting.

Banned

^^Anybody more besides me feels mad and fustrated about a fukin ugly nerd like that talking trash to everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Next up, quit posting.
    good luck Deuce.. I know you can do it..

Quote Originally Posted by Javat_90
    ^^Anybody more besides me feels mad and fustrated about a fukin ugly nerd like that talking trash to everybody?
    Hey tough guy, why don't you get off your troll account.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Hey tough guy, why don't you get off your troll account.
    Hey cutie, u want to hang out or something on saturday?