View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #3405
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Only top tier universities (top 50 or so) are respectable enough that you can brag imo. The difference between the exams, course load of a top university compared to an average one is huge (especially since curves work relative to your competition). I don't think it's fair to base the grading system of NA on a random community college, higher than 85% is unheard of at my university too (or any respectable one). My TA kept one of my papers for future examples and I still only got an 85% on it, when there were literally no negative comments on the entire thing. People I know who've come to my school from England usually have a really easy time in English/History classes which are writing oriented (history program usually very euro-centric so they have an advantage there) but that's about it.
I agree to a point. I had a similar experience to your 85-percent. My professor asked if he could use my senior project as an example for future students but I still got an A-minus on it (something like a 92).

That said, there are good smaller private colleges out there that don't fit into the Top 50 or so. For instance, my brother graduated from Columbia, but he was shocked at the amount of work required for me to graduate from a small private school that is not well known nationally. He said that it was every bit as intensive as anything that he had to go through at Columbia (not that I would ever compare it to an Ivy League school).

The school where I finished is one of the few remaining in the country that still requires senior comprehensive exams, written and oral, before a student is approved for graduation.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 04-11-2010 at 03:59 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote