Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: David West opts out of Hornets contract, becomes free agent

i like West, but he's a shit rebounder for his position, and he's coming off a bad injury. He could turn out to be fine,but he also could turn out to be an injured player not the same, for 4 years at big money.

I rep Lakers!

Default Re: David West to opt-out

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    I think this is the first sign

Are we setting ourselves up for a CP3-headed-to-the-lakers?
    CP3 is going to the knicks. We are looking at Howard and Dwill.

Local High School Star dallaslonghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Also, I think the Pacers should sign West, and let him completely heal before playing him, they have two capable power forwards already for the short term. I also think they should trade Hibbert in a S&T for Greg Oden, and let him heal completely. They should try re-sign Dunleavy Jr and Foster for peanuts, while waiving (or buying-out) D. Jones and Ford.
    PG: Collison/ Hill/ Price
    SG: George/ Rush/ Stephenson
    SF: Granger/ Dunleavy Jr./ Posey
    PF: West/ Hansborough/ McRoberts
    CT: Oden/ Foster/ S. Jones

That's a 4 seed right there (assuming they keep good health)
    Agree with you that a front-court of West and Hibbert isn't going to work defensively.

I'm all for taking risks, but giving $60 million plus guaranteed to TWO big men coming off serious knee surgery ... whoa. That's a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
    Guaranteed $8, or opt-out and face an uncertain market, with an uncertain cap and uncertain rules -- all following surgery.

West is very good, borderline all-star, he'd be beautiful on SA/Phx/Bos/Cle/Orl and he has balls...

...but its not the choice I would make.
    Thats how I see it too. The $8 Million he would've made makes more sense than trying to hope a team gambles longterm for more money than he was previously due while coming off a major injury.

He may get a rude awakening just like Ron Artest did a few years ago. In Ron's case he saved face by signing for a full MLE deal at 5/$33 Million on a Championship team. Maybe West could follow the same route, but this time to a team like San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Thats how I see it too. The $8 Million he would've made makes more sense than trying to hope a team gambles longterm for more money than he was previously due while coming off a major injury.

He may get a rude awakening just like Ron Artest did a few years ago. In Ron's case he saved face by signing for a full MLE deal at 5/$33 Million on a Championship team. Maybe West could follow the same route, but this time to a team like San Antonio.
    We got McDyess, having West is redundant. Let the Celtics have him.

Put yr guns up

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Trolling? McDyess is not half the player West is and is most likely retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Huh?

David West is a much better player than McDyess is right now, not to mention McDyess has already said he was planning on retiring.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Who the hell is his agent? this is a bad move, especially with a looming lockout. He could be 32 by the time he gets playing again. Who is going to be willing to pay more than 8 mil?

So does anyone realistically think he would opt out if he didnt have a guarantee of more money from someone?

Please.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I guarantee you he gets a raise and at least a 4 year deal. Probably from Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I guarantee you he gets a raise and at least a 4 year deal. Probably from Jersey.
    Something like this.

This thread was a good opportunity to exercise your NBA mind and the reality of the NBA, not just what ESPN says or your emotional reaction.

Typical ISH reaction: "What a moron!"

Sit back and understand the NBA reaction: "Why would he do this? Why would I do this?"

Why would I do this? Because someone who can guarantee more money (a team with cap or my own organisation) has guaranteed more money/years.

ISH: "But wait thats against the rules!!!"

Sit back and understand the NBA reaction: Get real. In business rules are broken when its proven in court that they were broken.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Even if it is Billy King....I really really doubt that. The torn ACL won't effect his game much if at all, but I can't seem him getting a raise being on the wrong side of 30 and 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Wow.

This is really a questionable decision considering that West is coming off of major knee surgery to repair his ACL/MCL, is already 30, and has basically suggested hes worth more than the $8 Million hes been paid.

Honestly, I think the best case scenario for him is to hope he can work out a longterm deal with the Hornets. The only problem is that with the NBA owning them, David West having a longterm deal along with Okafor will actually make the franchise look less attractive to a buyer.

This is without a doubt a sign of the end if New Orleans cant bring him back, I know they like Carl Landry but West is a better & more consistent player.
    The NBA is headed for a lockout. This is going to give him a lot more time to heal and not miss any time. By the time the NBA season is going to begin, he will likely be healed. If there was no CBA negotiations looming, I think he would not opt out.

This current free agent class is not very strong. There will be teams who are interested in him.

Plus, he probably wants out bc he knows Paul is about to bolt. I dont think he would want to sign long term there. The Hornets future is looking bleak.

Him opting out makes sense to me for the above reasons.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

should fetch somethin like either

2 yr 18 mil or 3 yr 24 mil

Phoenix.

And then they can move Warrick to reserves besides Frye.