Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Serge Ibaka has reached agreement on a four-year, 48 million contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Meh, 3rd best in the west and 5th in the league overall IMO.

They have alot of structural shit to figure out, i'd say 2014 is their best chance for a chip.
    Now you're just trying to troll the Kobe stans. 5th best in the League, so you have two teams in the West and two in the East that are clear cut better teams than the Lakers.

Come now. Lakers are surely not the best team in the league before even playing a game, but 5th best?

Default Re: Serge Ibaka has reached agreement on a four-year, 48 million contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Who knows.

This Laker team will only be serious contenders for 2 years. After that, no one knows, as Kobe and Pau will be old and free agents. Who do the Lakers get to build around Dwight? That is a great unknown, and for any Laker fan to even muster up the ignorance to make a statement like "they'll be contending 3-5 years," knowing that...well. That just tells me he is just talking out his ass.

Lakers have a similar window that the 08 Celtics had.
    I'd say it's even shorter window than the Celtics who, technically, are still kind of contending. But Pierce, Allen, and Garnett were still in their earlier 30s and didn't have as many miles on their legs as Kobe. But I guess they were only true contenders for three seasons. No one expected anything from them in 2010-2011 and this past season was a pretty big surprise, so I guess their window was only about three years. Given that Nash is almost 40, and both he and Kobe will be knocking on the door of 20 seasons in 2-3 years, then I don't see how anyone can think they'll contend for 3-4 years.

Now, if they go out and prove me wrong, then more power to them.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Now you're just trying to troll the Kobe stans. 5th best in the League, so you have two teams in the West and two in the East that are clear cut better teams than the Lakers.

Come now. Lakers are surely not the best team in the league before even playing a game, but 5th best?
    Not trying to troll but here's why I say this.

On individual talent I'd be forced to say they're 2nd best.But that's not how I like to Judge teams, I like to see how their offense works, how their defense works etc.

I see structural problems that can arise on this Lakers team and I think It'll take time for them to figure out, which they eventually will , but I have my reservations about immediately devastating them to that level.

So I got it as

1.Miami
    2.OKC/Spurs/Celtics
    3. Lakers.

I rep Lakers!

Yes the Lakers will still be contending for championships 5 yrs from now, 10 yrs from now, 20 yrs from, etc.... WE ARE THE LAKERS! Im not arguing that....They are the Lakers and finding great players to play for this great organization will be easy. And finding someone to contend alongside the best C in the league will be easy. And we will have only two players under contract in 2014/2015 so we will have the money & cap room to sign a big name free agent. If you guys feel that you have to see a couple of months of the Laker basketball to understand how great this current team is then thats on you

BUT THE LAKERS ARE COMPLETELY BESIDES THE POINT.

Im just saying that I don't think a core of Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Harden will be enough to win a title anytime soon. And that core alone will put them over the cap. The Thunder do not have the same appeal that the Celtics/Lakers/Heat have & vet's will not take the min to come play with those young guys. And you are completely right they will be much better in 5 yrs than they are today. But by then all four of them will be due MUCH more money. Durant & Westbrook alone will demand the max 5yrs/100 million dollar contract. And with the way things are going it's not that far fetched to say that Ibaka & Harden will get the same. Durant's payday will be in 4yrs & Ibaka/Harden/Westbrook will be in 5yrs. And there is no way that the Thunder can afford 3-4 max contracts. So thats their window...no arguing that.

So for the most part what the Thunder have is what they will be working with in the next 4-5yrs unless they can pull off some trades to bring slightly better players in. And all this time they will be taking a huge hit for the new luxury tax & again a team in the small town like OKC doesn't take the hit like the bigger name teams in more popular cities like the Lakers.

And then in around 3-4yrs after they have came up short you have to start thinking about guys like Lebron/Anthony/Bosh/Williams/CP3/Howard... you know the guys who bailed on their small market teams for bigger markets when they couldn't get it done.
    Last edited by WeGetRing2012; 08-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.

I rep Lakers!

And I've said this many times on here I don't know where the notion that young teams win rings & the old guys can't.

Over the years that has NEVER been the case. It's always the older teams standing in the end.
    Last edited by WeGetRing2012; 08-19-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Good move okc. The core is proven to work together.

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    Yes the Lakers will still be contending for championships 5 yrs from now, 10 yrs from now, 20 yrs from, etc.... WE ARE THE LAKERS! Im not arguing that....They are the Lakers and finding great players to play for this great organization will be easy. And finding someone to contend alongside the best C in the league will be easy. And we will have only two players under contract in 2014/2015 so we will have the money & cap room to sign a big name free agent. If you guys feel that you have to see a couple of months of the Laker basketball to understand how great this current team is then thats on you
    Ok, then make that more clear next time. You were making it sound like this current Laker roster could compete for another 4-5 years. And it's going to take some time to fill out the roster around Howard after Nash and Kobe get older and retire.

Im just saying that I don't think a core of Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Harden will be enough to win a title anytime soon. And that core alone will put them over the cap. The Thunder do not have the same appeal that the
    And I'll ask you AGAIN, why do you think that? Was them getting to the Finals at such a young age not enough? I mean if all four players continue progressing, and they lock all four up for another 3-5 years, then how is that not enough to win a championship or two when these guys are 25-28 years old?

So for the most part what the Thunder have is what they will be working with in the next 4-5yrs unless they can pull off some trades to bring slightly better players in. And all this time they will be taking a huge hit for the new luxury tax & again a team in the small town like OKC doesn't take the hit like the bigger name teams in more popular cities like the Lakers.
    Then we'll just have toa gree to disagree. I'm not saying OKC will have the same appeal to vets as some of the larger markets, but if they continue to win and build on their winning environment, then they'll be able to pull some vets for the minimum.

And I've said this many times on here I don't know where the notion that young teams win rings & the old guys can't.

Over the years that has NEVER been the case. It's always the older teams standing in the end.
    No one's saying older teams don't and can't win championships; it's the notion that a team as old as the Lakers in 2-3 years will be better suited to win a championship than a team like the Thunder whose their four best players in the prime of their careers. And it hasn't ALWAYS been the older teams over the years. There's been teams like the Thunder (2-5 years down the line) whose main core was young and in their mid to late 20s, with a few 30 something vets thrown into the mix.

You're acting like all these guys need to be in their 30s in order for the Thunder to win a championship. The 60s Celtics dynasty began when their core was 27ish on average. Same with the 80s Celtics and Showtime Lakers. Average age from their first to last championships was about 26-29 years old. The first year Jordan won his ring, the average age of the team was 27.

Here, read this; you might learn something. It's an article on the weighted/average age of all championship teams. The weighted part comes in with some formula he came up with to factor in the number of minutes and how much each player contributed so, if there's a 35 year old on the team playing 2 minutes per game, his age isn't going to factor into the team's weighted age.

http://idrisr.wordpress.com/2011/01/...amps-team-age/

You're seeing that most teams core was in that 26-29 year old range. Guess what? That's where the Thunder will be in a 2-3 years. The second 3-peat Bulls are the oldest team (by that formula with weighted age and not average age) to win a championship with a weighted age between 31 and 32 years old. In fact, that shows a team's chances of winning a championship decreases once their main core players get into their 30s.

Not airballing my layups anymore Sleu27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Not trying to troll but here's why I say this.

On individual talent I'd be forced to say they're 2nd best.But that's not how I like to Judge teams, I like to see how their offense works, how their defense works etc.

I see structural problems that can arise on this Lakers team and I think It'll take time for them to figure out, which they eventually will , but I have my reservations about immediately devastating them to that level.

So I got it as

1.Miami
    2.OKC/Spurs/Celtics
    3. Lakers

haven't read all 9 pages, but doesn't this paint Harden as the odd man out?

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    haven't read all 9 pages, but doesn't this paint Harden as the odd man out?
    No. OKC will pay the tax, plus they have revenue sharing $$ coming in starting this year. Harden isn't going anywhere.

Very reasonable contract for Ibaka at only 23. OKC is gonna be great for a looooooong time.

National High School Star KDthunderup's Avatar

Once Kobe, Nash and Pau have died of old age in 2 years, OKC will be the Western powerhouse again.

Quote Originally Posted by KDthunderup
    Once Kobe, Nash and Pau have died of old age in 2 years, OKC will be the Western powerhouse again.
    Maybe but least we will likely have loads of cap space to re-tool

Serious playground baller LBJDW305's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liquidrage
    Ignorance. They basically played Miami even in 4 out of 5 games and got some tough breaks in them.

LA's core will be retired in 2 years minus Dwight.

At worst OKC is 3rd in "favorites" this year, and at worst will be 2nd in "favorites" after this year. Year after that the core finally enters their primes.

Lol at someone saying a year after that a core of players will enter their prime....