Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bill Russell Vertical Leap

Toldeo Blade - Nov 28, 1956

'It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop.

Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic.

"Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed."

Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."
    '

Mar 24, 1956

'The proposed new rule hits at such towering performers as San Francisco's Bill Russell and Wilt (The Stilt) Chamberlain of Kansas.'

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Toldeo Blade - Nov 28, 1956

'It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop.

Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic.

"Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed."

Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."
    '

Mar 24, 1956

'The proposed new rule hits at such towering performers as San Francisco's Bill Russell and Wilt (The Stilt) Chamberlain of Kansas.'

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    NONE of those guys mentioned were high jump champs in college were they (or world ranked)? And PLEASE...Nate Robinson and Spud Webb outjumping Russell??? LOL!
    I never said anything about reach for them, I said how high they could jump. You want me to believe Russell can get higher off the ground than Spud and Nate.

You don't even know what you're arguing for.

EDIT: Once again, it has nothing to do with what they were in high school, or college. Who cares if they did high jump or not, the high jump average has increased drastically.
    It's like comparing the amount of money the richest people in the 1800's had compared to now.
    Last edited by plowking; 07-27-2010 at 09:58 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I never said anything about reach for them, I said how high they could jump. You want me to believe Russell can get higher off the ground than Spud and Nate.

You don't even know what you're arguing for.

EDIT: Once again, it has nothing to do with what they were in high school, or college. Who cares if they did high jump or not, the high jump average has increased drastically.
    It's like comparing the amount of money the richest people in the 1800's had compared to now.
    Fosbury pioneered the TECHNIQUE which is used now, BTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Flop

"The Fosbury Flop is a style used in the athletics event of high jump. It was popularized and perfected by American athlete Dick Fosbury, whose gold medal in the 1968 Summer Olympics brought it to the world's attention. Over the next few years the flop became the dominant style of the event and remains so today. Before Fosbury, most elite jumpers used the Straddle technique, Western Roll, Eastern cut-off or even Scissors-Jump to clear the bar. Given that landing surfaces had previously been sandpits or low piles of matting, high jumpers of earlier years had to land on their feet or at least land carefully to prevent injury. With the advent of deep foam matting high jumpers were able to be more adventurous in their landing styles and hence experiment with styles of jumping and giving jumpers about 25% higher jumps."

3-time NBA All-Star

The fastest NFL player EVER? Bob Hayes, an HOFer, who ran a 10.0 100meters. And I would take Deion, Bo, or Darrell Green, in theri primes, in a 40 yard sprint over Chris Johnson, as well.

Longest HR hitter? Not Barry Bonds, whose longest (and PED aided) was 490 feet. Mickey Mantle...all 5-11, 180 lbs. And he hit MANY verifiable 500+ ft HRs. In fact, he coined the term "tape measure."

3-time NBA All-Star

We have EYE-WITNESS accounts of Wilt touching the top of the backboard. We have rules that were put in place to prevent the dunking of FTs...because of Wilt (and Russell.) We have a 12 ft rim set up during the Chamberlain era, and reports of him dunking on it.

We also KNOW that Wilt and Russell were high jump CHAMPS (and in Russell's case...ranked 7th in the WORLD.) BOTH were involved in MULTIPLE track events, as well.

Hell, Wilt was DOMINATING the NBA in BLOCKED SHOTS at age 36, with a surgically repaired knee, and at over 300 lbs. What was the man doing at age 25, at 275 lbs., and on two healthy legs?

A magnificent putback slam on Chamberlain in the Finals

(1:06 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkRxVFT5tQ

A tremendous leap on a block attempt from Russell. And an even more incredible shot from Big O.

(5:34 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe3zWQqV554

Bill Russell comments on this psychological game with the Big O entering his zone in a pick/roll situation.

(5:50 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-f_gVh9h9Q

I rule the local playground

Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain never touched the top of the backboard.

Good High School Starter

Red Auerbach was so angrey about Wilt's "goal tending", hence, the rule changes...
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5584,1235523

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DC Zephyrs
    This reminds me the logic that "if the husband washes dishes but the wife doesn't see it, it never happens"

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DC Zephyrs
    Sonny Hill would argue with you on that.

Incidently, Wilt never scored 100 pts in a game, or grabbed 55 rebounds in a game, or averaged 50 ppg over a season, or 40 ppg over seven seasons...combined, or had 55 of the 61 40-30 games in NBA history, or averaged 27 rpg over the course of a season, or 32 of the 62 60+ pt games in NBA history, or shot .727 from the field (or .683), or made 35 straight FGAs, or had a recorded game with 23 blocks, or had a game in which the scorekeeper lost track of his blocks at 25, or led the league in assists, or had a 20-20-20 game, or a 24-32-13-12 playoff game, or ....

When someone here posts an actual attempt by Wilt, to touch the top of the backboard, and he didn't make it...I'll go with what was widely regarded as gospel by the NBA back in the 70's...

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

That's cool and all, but no, he couldn't.
    I dont think you have one bit of evidence saying he cant...other than you not thinking he could. Is it an impossibly high jump? No. Travis Outlaw is shorter than Russell and ive seen him riiiiiiight there just short of the top of the backboard in the one attempt ive seen him make to get there.

And I think we often forget something on these things. We are talking about 1955 or so. All NBA rims/boackboards were not the same until well into the 60s. They were pretty close but there are stories of coaches having them tested all the time because they looked off. They didnt have the same accuracy they do now. And thats in the NBA. You think every middle school, high school, college, and playground backboard met current NBA regulation height? I dont.

If at some point in their lives they ran into a goal that would have them only need to go up...46 inches or so? I have no problems accepting that legit world class high jumpers could do it. I dont think so many people are just fabricating it.

Besides its a 48 inch jump for most bigmen and its not like there arent guys known to get that high. NBA.com listen Mcdyess one step vertical at 47 inches for years due to a test a lot of people are supposed to have watched. And even with every moment of his career on high quality tape ive never seen him get nearly that high. I doubt ive seen him get 40 inches in a game.

Doesnt mean he never did. Legit proven world class high jumpers getting into the upper 40s is not one bit shocking to me even if its 1955. The foot difference in the high jump isnt due to evolution asm uch as how they teach them to jump. Ive seen Russell jump forward and clear like 6'8''. You will never see anyone jumping like that these days because you just dont jump as high. Guys Bill jumped with and against beating at times reached 7 feet and up as time went.

Touching the top of the backboard is no doubt often a myth but there are some easier to believe than others. A 215-220(entering the NBA he was skinny) 6'10.5'' in shoes world class high jumper with long arms?

Ive only seen like 3 people attempt it on film. And 2 of them(Outlaw and James white) were almost there and both were shorter than Bill. Am I to believe that they got the highest in world history in the 4 total attempts I saw them make?

Of course not. And if I assume someone got higher...why wouldnt I assume someone bigger than them who was the #2 ranked high jumper in America wasnt one of them 1-2 times? Or that he never ran into a backboard 2 inches off in a gym in Alabama working out?

I dont think ill just assume hes lying because I didnt see it. World class 6-10 and 7-1 high jumpers should be on the short list of people given the benefit of the doubt if there are a gang of people saying they could reach heights that are well within the human potential to reach.

7-time NBA All-Star

OK, so athletes have regressed since the 60's. Yeah....the centers have that era could jump higher than the 5'6"-5'8" dunk champs like Spud Webb and Nate Robinson.

Serious playground baller

why is this story so unbelievable? f'in joe alexander can kiss the rim and then some. Give him longer arms and the extra 6 inches for wilt, and really it's not that much of a fantasy

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I dont think you have one bit of evidence saying he cant...other than you not thinking he could. Is it an impossibly high jump? No. Travis Outlaw is shorter than Russell and ive seen him riiiiiiight there just short of the top of the backboard in the one attempt ive seen him make to get there.

And I think we often forget something on these things. We are talking about 1955 or so. All NBA rims/boackboards were not the same until well into the 60s. They were pretty close but there are stories of coaches having them tested all the time because they looked off. They didnt have the same accuracy they do now. And thats in the NBA. You think every middle school, high school, college, and playground backboard met current NBA regulation height? I dont.

If at some point in their lives they ran into a goal that would have them only need to go up...46 inches or so? I have no problems accepting that legit world class high jumpers could do it. I dont think so many people are just fabricating it.

Besides its a 48 inch jump for most bigmen and its not like there arent guys known to get that high. NBA.com listen Mcdyess one step vertical at 47 inches for years due to a test a lot of people are supposed to have watched. And even with every moment of his career on high quality tape ive never seen him get nearly that high. I doubt ive seen him get 40 inches in a game.

Doesnt mean he never did. Legit proven world class high jumpers getting into the upper 40s is not one bit shocking to me even if its 1955. The foot difference in the high jump isnt due to evolution asm uch as how they teach them to jump. Ive seen Russell jump forward and clear like 6'8''. You will never see anyone jumping like that these days because you just dont jump as high. Guys Bill jumped with and against beating at times reached 7 feet and up as time went.

Touching the top of the backboard is no doubt often a myth but there are some easier to believe than others. A 215-220(entering the NBA he was skinny) 6'10.5'' in shoes world class high jumper with long arms?

Ive only seen like 3 people attempt it on film. And 2 of them(Outlaw and James white) were almost there and both were shorter than Bill. Am I to believe that they got the highest in world history in the 4 total attempts I saw them make?

Of course not. And if I assume someone got higher...why wouldnt I assume someone bigger than them who was the #2 ranked high jumper in America wasnt one of them 1-2 times? Or that he never ran into a backboard 2 inches off in a gym in Alabama working out?

I dont think ill just assume hes lying because I didnt see it. World class 6-10 and 7-1 high jumpers should be on the short list of people given the benefit of the doubt if there are a gang of people saying they could reach heights that are well within the human potential to reach.
    Jesus christ, the guy types one sentence and you come back with a fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king novel. Get over yourself. You're going to take RUSSELL's word for it when he's speaking about himself? His ego is as big as anybodies, of course he's going to embellish to get his point across.