Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

Hey, I was almost right about one of those big 3 falling to us. Damn Kings!

Still, I"m pumped about the Pope pick. We needed some length,athleticism and shooting from the 2 and the 3. Pope takes care of one of those spots. He's a great fit to grow with Drummond and Monroe. PG will be easier to find in FA or via trade. I'm all about Teague or Jennings, but I'd be ok with Calderon too.

My ideal offseason is one of those guys plus Webster and a backup C like Pachulia.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Hey, I was almost right about one of those big 3 falling to us. Damn Kings!

Still, I"m pumped about the Pope pick. We needed some length,athleticism and shooting from the 2 and the 3. Pope takes care of one of those spots. He's a great fit to grow with Drummond and Monroe. PG will be easier to find in FA or via trade. I'm all about Teague or Jennings, but I'd be ok with Calderon too.

My ideal offseason is one of those guys plus Webster and a backup C like Pachulia.
    I really don't want Calderon back. If we signed Jennings that would be awesome. I'm not sure that he would come to Detroit though. He seems like he wants to go to a bigger market. The tough part with that is those teams don't have as much cap room. I could see him teaming up with Dwight Howard in Dallas though.

I'll pass on Webster. There's no sense in getting mediocre guys. I'm so scared we're building a team that could end up with the #7 or #8 seed in the playoffs. That's about the worst possible place a NBA team can be at. We'd be stuck with no money to go after a FA to get better, and we wouldn't even have a first round pick next year...... the Pistons would be stuck in mediocrity.

I feel like Joe D has a trade he's trying to make. I would think the teams in our division wouldn't want to give us Deng or Granger. I really like Granger but the guy hasn't played a full season for as long as I can remember. He's getting to the age that you can't pay him big money with his injury history either. Pierce was already traded so that's not happening. Chicago really isn't shopping Deng like the media tries to lead us on to believe as well. I think Chicago really wants to make a run at the title next year so there's a good chance they hold onto him. I think Indiana has the same hopes too, so they might keep Granger and limit his minutes. SF is going to be an extremely difficult position to figure out. I'm out of ideas now. It doesn't help that next year we could be in the toughest division. Chicago and Indiana are going to be very good. Cleveland has a nice young core and they look like they'll end up with a few decent FA's too. I'd almost rather not sign anybody and just let our rookies develop.

Decent college freshman

If we can sign a star or two, so be it. You have to remember though, we have to spend 90% of the cap and we're like 20 million, minimum, under the cap. We have to spend on someone. Might as well sign up a starting caliber SF like Webster(as we arguably have no SF on the roster right now) for the short term if we have to spend the money anyways. Guys like him will come off the cap as we are looking to extend Monroe,Drummond and co.(maybe Knight/KCP etc.)

I understand preferring a younger guy like Jennings I guess, but at the same time Calderon is such a far superior player. One of the most efficient players of all time actually. Lead the league in 3 point shooting last year and is always good for a 110 O rating at the least. Plus assist man, low turnovers and he won't demand a huge contract in terms of dollars or years. No idea why you'd have zero interest in him. Pairs well with Knight and Pope too, as Knight can come in at the point and give us a little better D and scoring when we want a different look.

Decent college freshman

Random fact I thought was interesting.

ESPN's pre-draft projected WARP article had KCP 3rd and Mitchell 14th.

NBA lottery pick

If we can sign a star or two, so be it. You have to remember though, we have to spend 90% of the cap and we're like 20 million, minimum, under the cap. We have to spend on someone. Might as well sign up a starting caliber SF like Webster(as we arguably have no SF on the roster right now) for the short term if we have to spend the money anyways. Guys like him will come off the cap as we are looking to extend Monroe,Drummond and co.(maybe Knight/KCP etc.)

I understand preferring a younger guy like Jennings I guess, but at the same time Calderon is such a far superior player. One of the most efficient players of all time actually. Lead the league in 3 point shooting last year and is always good for a 110 O rating at the least. Plus assist man, low turnovers and he won't demand a huge contract in terms of dollars or years. No idea why you'd have zero interest in him. Pairs well with Knight and Pope too, as Knight can come in at the point and give us a little better D and scoring when we want a different look.
    The Wizards really struggled at SF. That's why they took Otto Porter. Pretty much every mock draft even said how weak that position was for them. Webster is hardly a star. He shouldn't even be a starter in the NBA. He's really more of a tweener too (SG/SF). I don't want to overpay him. He's not even a top 50 free agent.

As for the Calderon thing, he just doesn't play defense. He is an efficient offensive player. There's a reason a team like Toronto traded him though. I actually think he fits better in Dallas anyhow. I don't see them winning a championship with him, and I don't see us winning a championship with him.

If we look at the top FA players CP3 and Howard aren't coming to Detroit. Then you have Josh Smith. I don't see us signing him because we have Monroe and Drummond. There's no need for a PF like him on our team. Very good player but not the position of need. Everybody talks about Iguodala. We don't need a SG anymore. We just drafted one. He's not a SF. He's not going to be able to guard Lebron, Melo, George, Deng, etc. Going out there with a lineup of him, Stuckey/KCP, & Knight wouldn't be enough to compete. Tyreke Evans doesn't make that much sense either. He's more of a tweener PG/SG. Again we just drafted KCP and we have Knight. We could move Knight to the bench or trade him. I'm not sure he's really the PG of the future anyway. If they sign a big time PG like Jennings that will speak volumes of how the front office really feels about him. Anyway, if you look at the top FA's I just don't see anyone who's a great fit. This is a horrible year for us to have extra money based on the needs we have. I don't see a half way decent SF until you look way down the lists to Marvin Williams or Shawn Marion (who Dallas would love to trade). Those aren't the types of players I really want to invest in. Who are the stars that you want to sign? I think we're better off with a couple of one year contracts. Or if there's a blockbuster trade that could be made, but I just don't see anyone who's really available that helps us get back to where we were.

Decent college freshman

Webster was a 6 win player last year(ahead of Iguodala, who would cost twice as much) and is 6'7 210-220. He's most definitely a SF and a starting caliber player. He's far from a star, but he's a good 3 and D type and wont' require a huge or long term contract. I think he's exactly what we need at the 3 and there aren't better options out there if you ask me, not at the SF position. No thanks on Marvin Williams.

Again, we have to spend money this year and I think we either need to go long term, big money on potential stars or short term, mid level money on guys like Webster,Pachulia, Calderon etc.

Calderon doesn't D, but his O most certainly outweighs that. He is a career 119 O rating player and a career 111 D rating player. A plus 8 per 100 possessions is pretty phenomenal, no matter how you do it.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Singler / Middleton both have some good role playing traits at the 3, but will be suited best as players off the bench. I see one of these two being a good back up SF for us moving forward, Singler is leading the race so far..

Can Tony Mitchell play some SF? I don't see why not... Reminds me of a guy who plays like a more passive Josh Smith, in terms that he can either be a big 3 or an athletic 4...

I would like to sign granger - only if it is not going to break the bank.

Rudy Gay will be a free agent next summer - seems like he would be a good fit with our current lineup,

Also wouldn't mind signing Aminu at a reasonable price at SF,

He was high on our radar in the 2010 draft in which we were lucky enough to grab Monroe. If Monroe had been chosen, I think we would of drafted Aminu.

3 years into his career, he has shown potential as a strong bodied athletic wing who could be a nightmare on defense and a good slasher. He rebounds very well and has active hands. He has struggled a bit so far, but in the right team and with the right guidence I think he can develop into a very handy starting SF. The big setback for him is that he doesn't have a jumpshot - If he could work on being atleast an average shooter, not great, but good enough to hit an open shot, this would be a great low risk signing..

NBA lottery pick

I want no part of any of them. It's so tough that we have money this year.... Joe D is prolly shaking his head (shd). His job is the main one on the line.

Decent college freshman

Sounds like we are heavily interested in Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala. Joe's main focus seems to be adding a defensive SF with plus length and athleticism. I can get behind that personally. I'd imagine we sign one of them and Calderon.

Then all of a sudden we have a pretty huge frontline with plus defensive abilities and a sweet shooting backcourt. It might not be the perfect team, but it has an identity and a lot more talent than last year's squad. You have a solid bench of guys like Knight,Jerebko,Stuckey,Middleton/Singler,Kratsov and Charlie V. YOu probably need a cheap defensive C. Jason Collins? Zaza Pachulia?

NBA lottery pick

Sounds like we are heavily interested in Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala. Joe's main focus seems to be adding a defensive SF with plus length and athleticism. I can get behind that personally. I'd imagine we sign one of them and Calderon.

Then all of a sudden we have a pretty huge frontline with plus defensive abilities and a sweet shooting backcourt. It might not be the perfect team, but it has an identity and a lot more talent than last year's squad. You have a solid bench of guys like Knight,Jerebko,Stuckey,Middleton/Singler,Kratsov and Charlie V. YOu probably need a cheap defensive C. Jason Collins? Zaza Pachulia?
    I just read that we're interested in Josh Smith too. He's a very good player, but he's also a PF and not a SF. Atlanta tried to play him at the 3 before and he wasn't good there. In Detroit he would need to play that position. It worries me a bit, but at least if we spend all of our money on him if it didn't work out he would be a tradeable asset. I'd prefer him over Igoudala too.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Also wouldn't mind signing Aminu at a reasonable price at SF,

He was high on our radar in the 2010 draft in which we were lucky enough to grab Monroe. If Monroe had been chosen, I think we would of drafted Aminu.

3 years into his career, he has shown potential as a strong bodied athletic wing who could be a nightmare on defense and a good slasher. He rebounds very well and has active hands. He has struggled a bit so far, but in the right team and with the right guidence I think he can develop into a very handy starting SF. The big setback for him is that he doesn't have a jumpshot - If he could work on being atleast an average shooter, not great, but good enough to hit an open shot, this would be a great low risk signing..
    If Aminu was cheap I'd think about it. He's young, and I like keeping our team young. He had flashes of being very good last season. He also had some really bad stretches. He's probably best suited coming off the bench, but on a deep team he could be a very good option for that.

NBA lottery pick

The other thing I was just thinking about with Josh Smith is that he's not a good outside shooter. How does that mesh with a front line of Drummond and Monroe? Does everybody remember how Smith was rumored to go to the Lakers last year in a trade? Then everybody realized that he wouldn't fit well there because of his lack of an outside shot. I really like Smith as a player. Defensively he's a top 20 guy in the NBA (maybe even top 10). It just feels like at SF we need a guy who can space the floor more for our young bigs. If Smith can somehow all of the sudden do that, we'd have an extremely good team.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    The other thing I was just thinking about with Josh Smith is that he's not a good outside shooter. How does that mesh with a front line of Drummond and Monroe? Does everybody remember how Smith was rumored to go to the Lakers last year in a trade? Then everybody realized that he wouldn't fit well there because of his lack of an outside shot. I really like Smith as a player. Defensively he's a top 20 guy in the NBA (maybe even top 10). It just feels like at SF we need a guy who can space the floor more for our young bigs. If Smith can somehow all of the sudden do that, we'd have an extremely good team.
    I agree...

Even though Iggy isn't the biggest SF and doesn't have the best outside shot on him (although it has drastically improved and is now demands respect from beyond the arc) I feel like he would be a far better option there than Josh Smith for us. He is a great defender, very smart, very athletic, very good creator and very team orientated. His skill set and tendencies would work well with Knight's skill set and tendencies as Iggy likes the ball in his hand and Knight is a great shooter. The biggest reason why I wouldn't mind this move is because I feel Iggy is a great locker room presence and a great role model for our younger players. He is very professional and could help set the standard that is to be expected moving forward for the young core we have.

Drummond
    Monroe
    Iggy
    Pope
    Knight

6th - Stuckey

I could easily get around that moving forward...

Decent college freshman

Seems like we are trying quite hard for Smith. I'm uncomfortable with his shooting as well, but at the same time, he is an all star caliber player and will only be turning 31 when his contract expires. Though he isn't a perfect fit as a 3 offensively, he could be incredibly useful defensively as a 3, when we go against guys like Lebron,Durant,Melo,George etc.