Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Olajuwom, Ewing, Robinson, Yao, Bynum??

Quote Originally Posted by dyna
    Olajuwom, Ewing, Robinson, Yao, Bynum??

David Robinson measured 7-0 and 226lbs for the 1989 Olympics, despite at the time being listed as 7-1 235

Yao Ming according to the rockets was measured to have a 7-5 wingspan and a 9-7 standing reach (probably in shoes). Fiba lists him at 226cm, they do not measure in shoes which makes his height 7-4.97 (well... basically, 7-5)

[I]"Bynum was quite possibly the biggest snub for the physicals at the Chicago Pre-Draft Camp, but has really put up some impressive numbers for a player of his size in his private workouts. “I measured out at 7’0
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-03-2012 at 08:28 PM.

"about 10" from wrist to fingertip" for Yao Mings hand length, NY times so that's another great detailed measurement for Yao.

Also, for anyone curious, found MJ's hand length from the knoxville news sentinal "9 3/4" from palm to middle finger". His hands are like Wilt's though, they are built very broad, and based on the measurements so far I'm almost positive that broad hands >>> long hands in terms of palming strength

Wayne Embry, oddly enough, had his hand width measurement published in a 1989 NYT article. "12 inches thumb to pinky"

Embry is a 60's player who was an all-star a few times but otherwise wouldn't be well known today. I've always noticed in pictures that he had a monstrous set of mits and that measurement seems absolutely plausible. He was ~6-8 barefoot, and 255lbs, no other data on him though
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Great work, much appreciated!

Banned

Could you do Charles Barkley? Btw, great work. Thanks.

Interesting that Wilt's hand length wasn't that big for his height.

Default Re: Russell, Chamberlain, Kareem - How did they measure up?:

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Wilt Chamberlain:
    Billed Information:
    [COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Black"][COLOR="Blue"]NCAA:[/COLOR] 7-0[/COLOR]
    Philadelphia Warriors: [COLOR="Black"]7-1 1/16, 250[/COLOR]
    Basketball Reference: [COLOR="Black"]7-1, 275 [/COLOR]
    NBA [COLOR="Black"](All teams after the Warriors)[/COLOR]: [COLOR="Black"]7-1, 275[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
    Actual Measurements:
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Height:[/COLOR] 7-1.06 (6-11.5 age 17, 7-1.06 age 23)
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Wingspan:[/COLOR] 7-8
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Standing Reach:[/COLOR] 9-6
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Hand Length:[/COLOR] 9.5"
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Hand Spread:[/COLOR] 11.5"
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Playing Weight:[/COLOR]
    258 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]rookie[/COLOR]
    265 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]3rd season[/COLOR]
    292 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]5th season[/COLOR]
    275 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]mid career[/COLOR]
    285 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]mid-late career[/COLOR]
    300 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]late career[/COLOR]
    320 - [COLOR="DarkRed"]maximum[/COLOR] (training camp of 5th season)
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Shoes:[/COLOR] U.S. size 15

Damn. 7'1 Wilt has the same shoe size as 6'3.75 Dwyane Wade?

Default Re: Russell, Chamberlain, Kareem - How did they measure up?:

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    [/B]
    Damn. 7'1 Wilt has the same shoe size as 6'3.75 Dwyane Wade?
    If that's Wade's shoe size, than yes, he does

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Interesting that Wilt's hand length wasn't that big for his height.
    Wilt's hands just seem short in comparison to guys with quite freakishly long hands like Russell or Shaq. His hands are actually a good length, it's his hand width+length that sets him apart from the pack. In footage he waves the ball around with a very firm grip like it's nothing but a grapefruit in a manner that neither Russell nor Shaq displayed. 9.5 x 11.5 is a larger surface area than Shaq's 11 x 9 hands

I might add Lebron James to the front page list, I'm getting some measurements of him that you can't find on draft express

9" hand length
    9.25" hand width

nba.com says shoe size 14
    official cavsgroup facebook says size 15
    the internet is slathered with size 16

and I have some of his weigh ins at various points of his career
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

I might add Lebron James to the front page list, I'm getting some measurements of him that you can't find on draft express

9" hand length
    9.25" hand width

nba.com says shoe size 14
    official cavsgroup facebook says size 15
    the internet is slathered with size 16

and I have some of his weigh ins at various points of his career
    Never thought much of his wing span. Probably like the average person's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Never thought much of his wing span. Probably like the average person's.
    His 7'0.25 wingspan and the rest of his measurements are on draftexpress.com/measurements

College superstar

"about 10" from wrist to fingertip" for Yao Mings hand length, NY times so that's another great detailed measurement for Yao.

Also, for anyone curious, found MJ's hand length from the knoxville news sentinal "9 3/4" from palm to middle finger". His hands are like Wilt's though, they are built very broad, and based on the measurements so far I'm almost positive that broad hands >>> long hands in terms of palming strength

Wayne Embry, oddly enough, had his hand width measurement published in a 1989 NYT article. "12 inches thumb to pinky"

Embry is a 60's player who was an all-star a few times but otherwise wouldn't be well known today. I've always noticed in pictures that he had a monstrous set of mits and that measurement seems absolutely plausible. He was ~6-8 barefoot, and 255lbs, no other data on him though
    Wayne Embry palming the ball in game.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

It'd be fun to see Jordan's hand size, or Dr. J or Connie Hawkins... those guys had enormous hands and that was part of the reason why they were able to make such amazing drives!!

Wilt Chamberlain always argued that standing reach should be the true NBA measurement, and sometimes gave the example of Nate Thurmond having about a 4 or 5 inch higher reach than Wilt did. I remember him talking about it on TV and there might be a youtube clip of him talking about it

Edit ~ that picture of Embry reminds me of one time after he went to the Celtics and he played really pretty much limited but powerful minutes as center. He had guarded Chamberlain for years and knew as much as anybody what you had to endure.... so anyhow Bill Russell had a genius for figuring out what was happening, he put Wayne at Center and put himself at forward guarding Chet Walker.

Anyhow on this particular play the ball clanged off the rim and Embry got the rebound by reaching OVER Luke Jackson's shoulder and palmed the top of the ball as it was flying away from him.

Luke (who was destined imo to be one of the greatest ever before his injury sadly wrecked his career) lost complete vision of the ball and did a full 360 trying to find it lol

Bill Russell's arms were astounding they just seemed to get longer and longers as the game went on until it looked like he was looming from sideline to sideline!! Guy had such a presence it was incredible!!

Bill going after the ball:

Last edited by La Frescobaldi; 04-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

#15 there is Hall of Famer Tommy Heinsohn I don't really remember him playing, just an image of him running out onto the court - but he was by all accounts one of the greatest players of his era, Rookie of the Year, and really the Celtic's main scoring force in the front court. My older friends were always talking about how lucky those Celtics teams were because Hondo Havlicek turned out to be even better than Tommy was.
    They really were a dream team, each position had one of the top 5 NBA players of their day, and in those days before free agency there was no possibility of another team beating them.

Some of the guys I knew that were a few years older have said that the NBA would never have survived the early 60s if Chamberlain had not showed up, simply because the outcome was never in doubt except when he was playing.

The only way another team could have beat the 8-peat Celtics was if they took every other All-Star and made a single team out of them.