Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Best and worst NBA commentator teams

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    The Celtics announcers are terrible as well when it comes to being homers.
    Yeah, they certainly are. But watching Celtics games is always fun with them. And I'm a Lakers fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
    Is Mike Smith the guy that goes "SLAAAAAM DUNK" when BG throws one down? If yes, then yea, that guy's a homer.
    no thats Lawler. hes the best one of the two. Mike Smith is the other one. constantly overrates the Clippers to levels beyond comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Dorris Burke - if you're gonna have a female commentator or sideline reporter, at least have her be somewhat attractive and...not annoying (like the great Erin Andrews for instance).

and Michelle Tafoya was def a MILF...

The Hawks broadcasters are pretty good. Bob Rathburn has a great voice for television, and it's always great hearing from Dominique Wilkins when he calls the games.

Also the Hawks PA Announcer is awesome. Ryan Cameron brings so much energy into the building. Came up with the famous JJJJJOOOEEEE JOHNSON FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

best= kevin Harlan
    Worst= Jon Berry if he still active.

Certified ISHiot.

Certainly didn't expect to find Reggie Miller in the "best" column.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA4EVER
    The Hawks broadcasters are pretty good. Bob Rathburn has a great voice for television, and it's always great hearing from Dominique Wilkins when he calls the games.

Also the Hawks PA Announcer is awesome. Ryan Cameron brings so much energy into the building. Came up with the famous JJJJJOOOEEEE JOHNSON FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Bob and Nique are a great duo
    Quote Originally Posted by albas89

and Michelle Tafoya was def a MILF...
    Truuu!

Learning to shoot layups

Not really a fan of most announcing teams these days. I grew up when the announcer teams actually talked about the game at hand 95% of the time. Now, it's like, "Kobe hits a jumper. Lakers by 2 over the Rockets. Now, back to how well the Thunder are playing." Maybe I was spoiled by the rapid fire play by play of Chick Hearn, but most of the time, you barely get any info about the play at hand.
    I would hope that someone would introduce technology to remove the announcers completely and allow me to listen to the game as if I were in attendance.
    I can dream, right?

When Mark Jackson was the color guy for us he was great. I know a lot of people hated him on ESPN with his "mama there goes that man" but he had great chemistry with Marv Albert and I thought he was hilarious.

My favorite commentator teams are the Nets, Knicks, Lakers, Clippers and maybe the Mavericks.
    Nets are obvious because I'm a fan.
    Knicks are unbiased and I love Clyde. I learned words from him when I was younger It was like studying for the SAT and watching basketball at the same time.
    Lakers are also unbiased and they bring energy to the game, making the game more fun to watch.
    Same with the Clippers, I love when Ralph says OH ME OH MY or SLAAAAM DUNK.
    Oh and I think Stacy King for the Bulls is hilarious also. He called Kwame Brown a T-Rex because of his small hands .

The ones I absolutely hate are the Blazers and Celtics.
    They're so biased. When the opposing team has a really nice dunk they show no energy and completely ruin the play. I feel like calling a play with energy makes the play a lot better.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MTing
    When Mark Jackson was the color guy for us he was great. I know a lot of people hated him on ESPN with his "mama there goes that man" but he had great chemistry with Marv Albert and I thought he was hilarious.
    When did Mark Jackson call games with Marv Albert?

EDIT: They were together on the YES network, weren't they? Forgot about those days.
    Last edited by StroShow4; 11-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by VegasLakerFan
    Not really a fan of most announcing teams these days. I grew up when the announcer teams actually talked about the game at hand 95% of the time. Now, it's like, "Kobe hits a jumper. Lakers by 2 over the Rockets. Now, back to how well the Thunder are playing." Maybe I was spoiled by the rapid fire play by play of Chick Hearn, but most of the time, you barely get any info about the play at hand.
    I would hope that someone would introduce technology to remove the announcers completely and allow me to listen to the game as if I were in attendance.
    I can dream, right?
    I think the move away from the Hearn style of play-by-play likely has to do with the appealing more toward the viewing masses as opposed to the listening masses. I'd suppose people now accept that TV is not radio and play-by-play can thus complement a game as opposed to describing it so completely in depth. Perhaps they found the moment-to-moment commentary redundant, while extra analysis was viewed as contributing something worthwhile.

Also, I feel like an NBA game (maybe in Orlando) once experimented with a silent broadcast. It'd be a nice option, but I feel as though I might end up going back to the commentary choice.

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    When did Mark Jackson call games with Marv Albert?

EDIT: They were together on the YES network, weren't they? Forgot about those days.
    Yeah they were great. We had the best overall commentating team in my opinion at that time. When Marv did stints with TNT and Mark was with ESPN, we had Ian Eagle and Jim Spanarkle who are also very good.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Blazers have the to be in discussion for worst.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think the move away from the Hearn style of play-by-play likely has to do with the appealing more toward the viewing masses as opposed to the listening masses. I'd suppose people now accept that TV is not radio and play-by-play can thus complement a game as opposed to describing it so completely in depth. Perhaps they found the moment-to-moment commentary redundant, while extra analysis was viewed as contributing something worthwhile.

Also, I feel like an NBA game (maybe in Orlando) once experimented with a silent broadcast. It'd be a nice option, but I feel as though I might end up going back to the commentary choice.
    I just want the option. The Lakers have done the no commentary thing before, and I really enjoyed it. It is kind of sad when you can get more info about a play from the arena announcer than from the guys calling the game.
    I understand why they are going away from that as simulcasts are a thing of the past, but it was a good way to learn the game and really get a sense of what was going on- even while watching. It also seemed to bring a sense of urgency to the game as well. Now, the game seems to be an afterthought while the announcers just babble about whatever they want to. Also, I really don't need to be told how unselfish so-and-so is or whatever.
    As for the network announcement teams, anyone on TNT is better than anything on ESPN by a mile.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by VegasLakerFan
    I just want the option. The Lakers have done the no commentary thing before, and I really enjoyed it. It is kind of sad when you can get more info about a play from the arena announcer than from the guys calling the game.
    I understand why they are going away from that as simulcasts are a thing of the past, but it was a good way to learn the game and really get a sense of what was going on- even while watching. It also seemed to bring a sense of urgency to the game as well. Now, the game seems to be an afterthought while the announcers just babble about whatever they want to. Also, I really don't need to be told how unselfish so-and-so is or whatever.
    As for the network announcement teams, anyone on TNT is better than anything on ESPN by a mile.
    Well said. I agree through and through.