Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kevin Durant admits he doesn't like chucking heaves

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Old news, but I think this proves that those who think Kevin Durant could simply shoot more and score as much as Kobe ever did don't factor in mindset and in general, different ways their skill sets are best used and approach the game naturally. Durant will give you 28 ppg and do it more efficiently than Kobe can, but Kobe is much more likely to average 35, string together a stretch of 40-50 point games ect.

This is more interesting than the halfcourt thing, though.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/kevin-...brook-thunder/

Also, Kevin Martin's response is pretty funny. I'm surprised at the honesty of some of these players, but disappointed at their approach.
    Kobe has taken 68 shots over 40 feet since 2001. Take all those out and his efficiency barely changes. He's a more inefficient player then players like Lebron and Durant and this has almost nothing to do with it.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Obv Westbrook doesn't care.

Old but love westbrook's comment.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Kobe has taken 68 shots over 40 feet since 2001. Take all those out and his efficiency barely changes. He's a more inefficient player then players like Lebron and Durant and this has almost nothing to do with it.
    I'm not referring to those shots in particular. I'm referring to caring about % in general, and how they approach the game. Pretty obvious Durant is going to average 28 or so ppg while being considerably more efficient with his % while Kobe is far more likely to put up the bigger volume scoring numbers, at least prime vs prime.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend

I remember a game a while ago where Westbrook was taking the ball up, not at the end of the quarter or anything, and he thought he got fouled so he literally threw up a 40 footer or something with probably 17-19 seconds on the clock.

Old news, but I think this proves that those who think Kevin Durant could simply shoot more and score as much as Kobe ever did don't factor in mindset and in general, different ways their skill sets are best used and approach the game naturally. Durant will give you 28 ppg and do it more efficiently than Kobe can, but Kobe is much more likely to average 35, string together a stretch of 40-50 point games ect.

This is more interesting than the halfcourt thing, though.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/kevin-...brook-thunder/

Also, Kevin Martin's response is pretty funny. I'm surprised at the honesty of some of these players, but disappointed at their approach.
    Wow if Durant actually said that. I do see Durant looking at the scoreboard / his stats at the top a lot during games too.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend

You're trying way too hard.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tazb
    Wow if Durant actually said that. I do see Durant looking at the scoreboard / his stats at the top a lot during games too.
    Yeah, I have no idea how legitimate that is, but it wouldn't be such a shock considering Wilt used to look at his stats during game, set statistical goals for himself and was friends with stat keeper Harvey Pollack, and they'd discuss whether the official statistics were incorrect. And Michael Jordan had this triple double thing going during the 1989 season when he'd check how many rebounds and assists he had during the game, and did admit in an interview from around 1994 that he cared about stats in his early years.

Plus there have been other instances like David Thompson and George Gervin going for the scoring title on the last day of the '79 season, or David Robinson doing the same thing in '94.

I remember a game a while ago where Westbrook was taking the ball up, not at the end of the quarter or anything, and he thought he got fouled so he literally threw up a 40 footer or something with probably 17-19 seconds on the clock.
    He was going to get fouled. He just mistimed the shot attempt. Chris Paul has done the same thing from 40ish feet out at least two times this year that I've seen, and I know he's done it in past seasons, too. He just timed it better and didn't shoot until he heard the whistle. But when Westbrook did it (at San Antonio a few weeks ago) Gary Neal was running up to him to foul Westbrook. The FS Oklahoma TV guys even said they heard Popovich tell Neal to go foul Westbrook, so I'm assuming Russ probably heard the same thing. It just looks dumb in retrospect because he shot the ball too soon and the whistle never blew.

Yeah, I have no idea how legitimate that is, but it wouldn't be such a shock considering Wilt used to look at his stats during game, set statistical goals for himself and was friends with stat keeper Harvey Pollack, and they'd discuss whether the official statistics were incorrect. And Michael Jordan had this triple double thing going during the 1989 season when he'd check how many rebounds and assists he had during the game, and did admit in an interview from around 1994 that he cared about stats in his early years.

Plus there have been other instances like David Thompson and George Gervin going for the scoring title on the last day of the '79 season, or David Robinson doing the same thing in '94.
    Wade said basically the same thing as Durant. This is why I feel fans need to stop putting so much emphasis on statistics.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Wade said basically the same thing as Durant. This is why I feel fans need to stop putting so much emphasis on statistics.
    No he didn't.

I absolutely loved westbrook's comments.
    I mean that's a shot that must be taken, why the hell would a player care about his statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    No he didn't.
    He did too. I remember someone making a thread in which hes quoted as saying he doesnt take long shots during the first 3 quarters in order to protect his FG%

3-time NBA All-Star

I'm not referring to those shots in particular. I'm referring to caring about % in general, and how they approach the game. Pretty obvious Durant is going to average 28 or so ppg while being considerably more efficient with his % while Kobe is far more likely to put up the bigger volume scoring numbers, at least prime vs prime.
    There's no indication from those comments or his play in general that he cares about his stats to that degree though. I'm just pointing out, sure he cares about his stats, but just cause he saves himself from shooting 40 footers doesn't mean its to a significant degree. His superior efficiency could just be the result of being a more efficient player in general. Its one thing if he's passing up lower % attempts to teammates with even lower % attempts, cause thats not efficient overall to the team and that would mean he's putting his stats ahead of the team. Thats not the case though.

I think that if he didn't have Russell Westbrook on his team, and had someone that was more of a pass-first PG, he could average close to 35 ppg on better efficiency then Kobe did. Not as efficient as he is averaging 28 ppg, but more efficient then Kobe in 06.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    He did too. I remember someone making a thread in which hes quoted as saying he doesnt take long shots during the first 3 quarters in order to protect his FG%
    Again, no he didn't.

This was the quote you're referring too.

“We’re both so conscious of wanting to shoot 50 percent, that sometimes you wish you had that Kobe (Bryant) thought, where you just don’t care,” Wade said. “We talk about it all the time. It sucks at times, but it’s who we are.”
    Last edited by PJR; 04-06-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Banned

still hate him but I respect Westbrook's comment