Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Is Rotten Tomatoes overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    The critics are not supposed to be fans. It doesn't always work that way but that's the idea. So they hated Underworld because from a movie making standpoint it was pretty shit.

Same for Twilight. They were bad MOVIES. Now they can still be enjoyable if you dig whatever the movie presents but the movies themselves are not good.

See what I'm saying? In no way is it a bad thing, and you can view whichever side of it you'd like, but it makes more sense to me to view the critics. You can look at what they say like: "Oh shit Men in Black wasn't my favorite but I see what they mean by the sets and the chemistry."

You're less likely to be led astray.

I LOVE Mortal Kombat. But I know it's a terrible movie. But as a fan I'd rate it far higher. So it'd be wiser to view my critic review if you really want to get a sense of what you're getting into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    No you're assuming that all critics are movie art house snobs. They are not. They don't look at every movie thinking: "where will this fall on my Oscar list?" I would bet hard money that any real critic was not walking into Scott Pilgrim wondering if this would be Oscar worthy.

But they recognize a shit movie when they see one. It's a tired argument as I said before because there are plenty of "stupid movies" that both fans and critics alike agreed upon as good.

In fact what does that say about the fan base you speak of if they feel like a little effort project is what it's base wants.

Lemme put it this way. Do you think Underworld could be improved? Maybe greatly so? How could that happen? Where did it go wrong?

That is what the critics look at.

pheeww, its nice to see someone has a grip on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    The critics didn't give it a 90%. That just means that 90% of the critics reviewing it gave it a positive review. There where 72 overall reviews. 65 gave it a positive review while only 7 gave it a negative review, and what is 65 divided by 72?
    exactly, this is why often even really great films that are controversial or off beat can get a much lower rating then solid films that didn't offend/too abstract for many tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    just about every movie ever made could be improved upon...

look, all I was trying to point out is that the audience score more reflects the people looking forward to whatever the subject matter of the movie is, where as the critic score reflects someone's opinion that doesn't necessarily give a rat's ass about the subject of the movie, that's all...

it makes PERFECT sense that the audience would rate Twilight high and the critics would rank it low...the audience is teen girls (their target demographic) and the critics are not...THUS a teen girl going to see Twilight should ignore the critic score, their opinion doesn't represent hers very well.

no it isn't the job of a critic to assign different criticism for each audience, just simply to state if the film was any good or not. critics are far more intune with what comprises a quality piece of film making or not. they understand film language and how it communicates and they are suppose to write without bias, i.e not from a perspective of a certain fan base or audience expectation. just because a film is badly made doesn't mean people won't like it, a lot of people enjoy films because of content and subject matter but these say nothing of wether the film is well made or not. no one can imagine the thoughts and preferences of every human being on earth. the best that can be done is to critique each film based on the quality of its technical execution and communication of ideas/narratives.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    rotten tomatoes suck, ive watched 3 movies that were highly rated on there site and was very shit and boring, i even thought perhaps that if the tomatoe meter was high the shittier the movie would be which would explain why the movies were shit.
    tell us which films, maybe we can then discuss the problem

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy
    It's kinda ridiculous how it's the end all be all for if a movie is good or not, when it's really just kids who spent 7 hours a day on the web. Of course everyone is a movie expert now. Do I really need to read 20 reviews before I see if I should watch Nick of Time ?
    I'll say below 60% is a fail....

There are some movies that I enjoy at some level that fail according to the meter. It's sort of a use it for entertainment purposes sort of thing. Just don't take it extremely seriously.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I like RT...I have found that the audience ratings are more in line with how I feel...but those are generally in the same area as the critics.

there are exceptions though...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/underworld_awakening/

Underworld Awakening
    Critics: 27%
    Audience: 62%

this is a type of movie that is suppose to be just raw action and stupid fun and would be impossible to get a monster score from critics, it isn't an Oscar type movie, but it doesn't try to be...

but the audience went into the movie understanding that it isn't trying to be a masterpiece, and it hit their expectations...so it scored high with them, and they are the only ones that really matter.
    The audience seems to lack respect for gritty genre pieces.

Example:

Look at the audience meter for 48 Hrs.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/48_hrs/

And look at the meter for tired and repetitive Rush Hour 3:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rush_hour_3/

That's why I say the audience can go **** themselves.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Is Batman v Superman getting a 30% enough for you RT snubs to stop taking it seriously?

Was Mad Max Fury Road really a near perfect film to warrant a 97% ?

Doc Savage holds a 61% while Danger Diabolik has a 67%, is 6% the difference between something unwatchable and another thats a masterpiece?

Is Batman v Superman getting a 30% enough for you RT snubs to stop taking it seriously?

Doc Savage holds a 61% while Danger Diabolik has a 67%, is 6% the difference between something unwatchable and another thats a masterpiece?
    Yeah it is a bit ridiculous

I think among a lot of the critics, there is a mainstream consensus more or less that creates a bias. I try to look at the best of the best critics that I can trust, not the no namers that make up the faceless numbers on RT, that follow a trend.

Roger Ebert was my guy. Shame he died.

Yea... I went to see Mad Max based on the reviews... and left the theater
    with the feeling "It was good... but not as good as the reviews made it out to be"

Batman vs Superman >>>>>> Mad Max.... Easily.

I just randomly looked up one of my favorite movies: Body of Lies

54%

Body of Lies is an absolute masterpiece. But usually RT is more right than
    they are wrong.

It has gotten me curious about the new Fantastic 4 movie... maybe it's
    not a bad film?

Pointing out subjective examples does nothing.

Mad Max was the best film of 2015 after Chi-Raq for me. And I thought Batman vs Superman was overlong and spent far too much time showing us stuff we've already seen (falling in the well, the parents' death - really?).

I guess Rotten Tomatoes must be the GOAT site, right?

It's an aggregate site that tells you the general consensus for a film. It does its job.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P

Mad Max was the best film of 2015 after Chi-Raq for me. And I thought Batman vs Superman was overlong and spent far too much time showing us stuff we've already seen (falling in the well, the parents' death - really?).

It's an aggregate site that tells you the general consensus for a film. It does its job.
    B v S could have been better, but are you going to tell me it's not as good as Mad max or MI rogue nation ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P

It's an aggregate site that tells you the general consensus for a film. It does its job. :confusedshrug:
    Not really it shitted on BVS yet it almost has half a billion already.

People should also look for the average rating in rotten tomatoes, Batman VS Superman currently has a 5.0/10 average rating.
    The rotten score just means that the movie has a consistent rating of less than 6/10 among most critics.

I personally would give it a 6/10.

B v S could have been better, but are you going to tell me it's not as good as Mad max or MI rogue nation ?
    It's literally not close to Mad Max. Like I said, I thought it was the best or second best film of last year - B v S was a mediocre at best film.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook B
    Not really it shitted on BVS yet it almost has half a billion already.
    Which is why I think people put too much stock into RT to begin with.

The casual moviegoer isn't checking out the website before they go see a film. They see it. And as soon as they see it they've handed money over to the studios, regardless of whether they walk out of the theatre liking it or not.

But if someone does want to see what the general critical consensus for a film is, RT is the place to go - because it collects critical reviews of films.

To that point though: Transformers gets shitted on yet it still made over a billion. The average moviegoer likes shitty, repetitive movies that have no soul or originality - it is what it is.

Decent playground baller

It was accurate about BVS.

Translation: "I have shit taste in movies and need to justify my love of garbage by saying that paid professionals are wrong and I'm right."

They're not really rating a movie, all the %'s say is how many 'liked' it..