Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dominating a game without scoring

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    Dominating...

Top 1 Bball Mind.

College superstar

1998 NBA Finals, Game 3. Scottie Pippen.

How did this thread get into the second page without one mention of Dikembe Mutombo

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    How did this thread get into the second page without one mention of Dikembe Mutombo
    And Elmore Smith's 17 blocks in a game. Can't find the boxscore so I don't know what his point total was

College superstar

While I don't consider all star games to be "real" games, the 2001 All Star game did show Mutombo's impact. Everyone talks about Iverson and Marbury leading the East's comback, but Mutombo was easily IMO the most important player for the East.

The East's starting frontcourt was the barely 6'9" Antonio Davis, 6'7" Anthony Mason, and 6'6" Vince Carter. The West starting frontcourt was Webber, KG, and Duncan. The West was just too big for the East and were dominating the paint on both sides of the ball until Deke came into the game. That was the turning point, and Larry Brown started him in the 2nd half. He ended with 6pts 22rbs 3blks.

Same goes with Ben Wallace. I remember a game of him he was near at triple-double but couldn't make it even double-double. I guess it was against the Sixers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...303200DET.html

I found the box score.
    Last edited by Odinn; 02-18-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    And Elmore Smith's 17 blocks in a game. Can't find the boxscore so I don't know what his point total was
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...310280LAL.html

College superstar

Scottie Pippen was buzzing John Stockton like an annoying gnat in the backcourt, filling the passing lanes the way Coach Jerry Sloan wishes his players would and taking a charge from Karl Malone under the basket. On the next Utah Jazz possession, Pippen caused more havoc.

''He is probably the only guy in basketball who draws offensive fouls anymore,'' Sloan said today. ''He had a ton of them last night, I think eight or nine. That was about as good a display of being able to step up and take a charge as you'll see.''

Antoine Carr, the veteran Jazz forward, added, ''Scottie is everywhere.''

Pippen, a roving linebacker in high-tops, is using the finals to reaffirm his position as the game's most complete and chaos-inspiring defensive player. On Sunday night, he was largely responsible for the lowest scoring total in National Basketball Association history since the advent of the shot clock, when the Chicago Bulls pulverized the Jazz, 96-54, to take a two-games-to-one lead in the four-of-seven-game series.

Pippen roamed the floor, spreading his 6-foot-7-inch angular body from player to player on the Jazz roster. Twenty-six Utah turnovers and an unprecedented finals rout later, everyone wanted to know how one player could cause such disruption.

Link

His stat line of 10/4/4 would never tell the story.

Complete Player

Before that definitely Game 1 and 2 of the 1998 ECF. Only 4 points in Game 1 but he dominated the game.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...jordan-jackson

CHICAGO -- As Indiana Pacers guard Mark Jackson dissected the New York Knicks in the Eastern Conference semifinals, Scottie Pippen was an interested spectator. And in the days leading up the Eastern Conference finals, the Chicago Bulls forward had one request as he talked about the matchups with his teammates.

"I wanted to play Jackson," Pippen said. "He's the guy who makes the team click. I wanted him to have to work."

Pippen got his wish. And for a guy who was so off-target on offense that he simply stopped shooting, Pippen was the most dominant player on the court during an 85-79 win over the Pacers that gave the Bulls a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

Pippen shot 1-for-9 from the field and scored four points. But for most of his 40 minutes, he pressured Jackson from the moment he received the ball.

Initially, that helped delay the Pacers in setting up their offense. And, ultimately, the post-ups the 6-foot-3 Jackson used to destroy New York's smaller guards in the second round were not available against the 6-7 Pippen.

Jackson was so frustrated that he finished with seven turnovers. And while his overall line was impressive -- 12 points, seven rebounds, six assists -- he didn't record one assist over the final 28 minutes, 10 seconds.

"Obviously, that hurt us offensively," Indiana coach Larry Bird said. "This is the first time this year I have seen a player get on a point guard and not really foul him, but get his hands in there and dig out the ball. Next game we need to do a better job of getting Mark open going down the court."

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    A bit boring to list 400 Bill Russell games, so, I'll list a completely dominant game by Wilt in 1972:

3 points, 31 rebounds, 10 assists, 12 blocked shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    did he not wanna score? how many shots taken?
    He took just 2 shots

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...111140LAL.html

Banned

joel anthony

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

For the modern era: Ben Wallace needs a mention.

I dont know about dominating, facilitating maybe.

I'm sure JKidd has a ton of games where he only had 10-15 points, but had near 20 assists, and was dominant on the glass. That man was a monster, and controlled the game like few others could dream of.

A man that never gets any real mention for dominating a game is Tony Allen. He never puts up flashy numbers so he's not a household name, but there has been times that he has completely changed games with his fantastic defense.