Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon dynamic combo in AAU days

For all the Bulls fans I thought you'd enjoy this and for regular NBA fans you may be interested as well.

Written by

Jeff Rabjohns

Before Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon were emerging stars in the NBA, they were teammates.

Very talented teammates.

They were so good together during the summer of 2006, some still refer to it as "The Eric and Derrick Show."

Two of the nation's elite guards, Indianapolis' Gordon and Chicago's Rose, formed a stellar backcourt and were one of the nation's top summer AAU teams, almost by themselves.

"It was stupid good," ESPN recruiting analyst Dave Telep said. "While it was going on, you knew those guys were that good. You knew how special it was to have them together.

"It was a foregone conclusion that these were two professional players hanging out together for a summer. It was as high level as a summer backcourt could possibly be."

Both are now in their third year in the NBA. Rose, who averaged 25 points this season in powering the Bulls to the best record in the Eastern Conference, has Chicago up 3-0 on the Indiana Pacers in a first-round playoff matchup that resumes today at Conseco Fieldhouse. Gordon averaged 22.3 points for the Los Angeles Clippers.

The two played together on a team called Meanstreets, coached by Derrick's brother, Reggie Rose. The team won the prestigious Peach Jam in South Carolina and finished runner-up in the summer-ending tournament in Las Vegas in late July.

The team usually had only six or seven players. Gordon, who became the Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball in 2007, and Rose, Mr. Basketball in Illinois the same year, typically played every minute.

"We just played well together," said Gordon, who attended Thursday's Game 3 of the Pacers-Bulls series. "At that time, we just wanted to show people that we're trying to be the best out there. We jelled together. We both played up-tempo games and loved to attack the basket.'

The two regularly scored 30 points or more, sometimes in the same game.

In the championship game of the Peach Jam, they beat an SYF team that included most of the players who led Purdue's recent run -- Robbie Hummel, JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore, in addition to Notre Dame's Scott Martin.

"We both had close to 40 points that game," Gordon said. "And we both had a lot of dunks."

The two played their natural positions, Rose at point guard, Gordon at shooting guard.

"That was fun," Rose said Friday as the Bulls readied for practice at IUPUI. "We were two guys that just wanted to play basketball all out, that don't show much emotion on the court.

"It was great standing back and watching him score the ball. I always loved his game, even when our high schools played, but it was great playing with him in AAU."

The two played against each only once in high school. Gordon had 32 points, five assists and three steals as North Central beat Chicago Simeon 68-66 in the Challenge of Champions at Southport High School. Rose was held to six points on 2-for-11 shooting.

Together, they were nearly unstoppable.

"Our games fit each other," Rose said.

"He's a scorer and shooter. I was just feeding him. He made my job easy. We really had a great time. I'm still friends with him and his dad."

Former Bulls Fan.

Default Re: Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon dynamic combo in AAU days

I predict they will be reunited on the same team later on towards the end of their careers. Book it.

Good High School Starter hammer2010's Avatar

Possibly best back court in AAU history. Also you had Dwight, Al Jefferson and Josh Smith on the same AAU team.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2010
    Possibly best back court in AAU history. Also you had Dwight, Al Jefferson and Josh Smith on the same AAU team.
    No way??? I didn't know that. It's crazy how all the NBA players have so many connections. Like Lamar Odom and Artest growing up in the same projects or some shit. What are the odds of that??

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    No way??? I didn't know that. It's crazy how all the NBA players have so many connections. Like Lamar Odom and Artest growing up in the same projects or some shit. What are the odds of that??
    Odom and Artest were on the same AAU team also. Along with Elton Brand. There have been some crazy AAU teams for real.

Yeah I've read that, and Illini fans are still pissed they didn't team up together.

Odom and Artest were on the same AAU team also. Along with Elton Brand. There have been some crazy AAU teams for real.
    Oh yea.. forgot Brand. Yea those AAU teams are murder.

Would love to see Eric Gordon on the Bulls.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Yeah I've read that, and Illini fans are still pissed they didn't team up together.
    Eh, I'm ok with it now. Is what it is. I enjoy watching both players in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    If you guys get Eric Gordon I become a Bulls fan too. Your team would be murder for the rest of the league even more than now. Good thing you guys can't afford him!

Must of been a nightmare for Rose when they versed each other in that high school game. Still ended up being a better player, unless Eric shows us something insane in the future years.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    How about Boozer, Bogans and Brewer for Gordon and Griffin. Good trade for both teams>

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee

Must of been a nightmare for Rose when they versed each other in that high school game. Still ended up being a better player, unless Eric shows us something insane in the future years.
    Talent wise and skill wise they are pretty equal. You have to realize Rose was drafted to be a franchise player and was the 1st pick in the draft while Eric Gordon was a 7th pick in the draft. Rose was mentally more ready for the NBA and was given the reigns, while Eric Gordon wasn't.

Derrick Rose will be the better player for sure and has a higher potential for sure.. but don't sleep on Eric Gordon. He had a bigger role on team USA than Derrick Rose did and was often the 2nd best player on the team. Meaning he competed with the best and still shined. Eric had a drop the last 10 games of the season but at one point he was at around 25 ppg, 4.5 apg and 4 rpg. VERY good numbers for a 3rd year player who just turned 22.

How about Boozer, Bogans and Brewer for Gordon and Griffin. Good trade for both teams>
    Lol. Rose, Gordon, Deng and Griffin is just as scary as Thunder would have been with Griffin, Durant and Westbrook. Either of these teams would be an instant dynasty probably.