Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Knicks brass may try to force Mike D'Antoni to bring on a defensive-minded assistant

As Donnie Walsh seeks to regain full autonomy within the Knicks organization, Mike D'Antoni could be losing some of his power on the Knicks' bench.

According to several sources, the front office will encourage D'Antoni to revamp his coaching staff to hire a defensive coach. In the past, D'Antoni has been reluctant to seek outside help, most famously refusing Steve Kerr's request four years ago to hire Tom Thibodeau in Phoenix. Thibodeau landed in Boston in 2007, and helped the Celtics win the title three seasons ago. He now is head coach of the top-seeded Bulls.

D'Antoni is under contract through next season and is expected to be retained after leading the Knicks to their first postseason appearance in seven years. However, under D'Antoni the Knicks have been among the league's weaker defensive teams, which is something Walsh would like to change.

Memphis assistant Dave Joerger, Orlando's Steve Clifford, Portland's Bill Bayno and Chicago's Ron Adams are all regarded as top defensive coaches. Another possibility for the Knicks is Thibodeau's replacement in Boston, Lawrence Frank, the former Nets' coach. Frank's contract expires this summer.

A move to hire another assistant does not necessarily mean one of D'Antoni's current assistants will be removed. Phil Weber, Dan D'Antoni, Herb Williams and the highly regarded Ken Atkinson are all expected to be retained. D'Antoni, who is expected to acquiesce to management, has made it clear that he wants to remain in New York. However, there will be several job openings this summer that D'Antoni might find attractive, including one with Golden State, whose roster has players better suited to play D'Antoni's up-tempo system than the Knicks currently do.
    Whole article:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1Kuh6SIpz

Default Re: Knicks brass may try to force Mike D'Antoni to bring on a defensive-minded assistant

damn just fire Mike

why do they want Lawrence Frank as their assistant when he can just be their head coach?

Default Re: Knicks brass may try to force Mike D'Antoni to bring on a defensive-minded assistant

mike brown + mike dantoni

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    damn just fire Mike
    I agree with that.
    But if they want to keep him then it's better for the team to have a defensive assistant.

Local High School Star The Ownage's Avatar

Suns had the chance to get thibs? Come on knicks please just fire him

I hope they do something because i enjoy watching the knicks play, but its just pathetic in the 4th quarter when the other team just scores at will

Not sure they could still run there run n gun offence and focus on D though. If anything they need some bigs and just replace Dantoni IMO...
    Not sure why anyone is really even that high on him, he hasnt won shit, and his game plan has been proven to lose against all the elite teams

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    I hope they do something because i enjoy watching the knicks play, but its just pathetic in the 4th quarter when the other team just scores at will

Not sure they could still run there run n gun offence and focus on D though. If anything they need some bigs and just replace Dantoni IMO...
    Not sure why anyone is really even that high on him, he hasnt won shit, and his game plan has been proven to lose against all the elite teams
    We don't play run and gun anymore.
    Now it's more of a halfcourt offense.
    I agree it's very frustrating to see teams like Cavaliers,Bucks,Pacers dropping 110-120 points on you

The End Is Near

I doubt Lawrence Frank goes anywhere unless it is for a head coaching spot. He was hired as the de facto next-in-line in Boston. Why give that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalyptic0n3
    I doubt Lawrence Frank goes anywhere unless it is for a head coaching spot. He was hired as the de facto next-in-line in Boston. Why give that up?
    He is from New York

And I wouldn't mind to see him as a coach instead of D'Antoni.

Don't see Lawrence Frank leaving Boston unless it is for a head coaching job.

bring back larry brown

I'm fine with bringing in a defensive coach more than just firing D'Antoni and hiring a new coach. Firing D'Antoni and hiring some other coach would just mean a new system for the team to get acquainted to and it would probably take time if there is no training camp this year. If we could get a good defensive coach, mixed with D'Antoni's offense the Knicks could bring a mix of great offense and good defense and really be dangerous next year.

Anyways, I nominate Mike Brown.

If he stays for another year, NYK should say goodbye to dreams of contending...

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    He is from New York

And I wouldn't mind to see him as a coach instead of D'Antoni.
    No, the nets players had no respect for him. Great X's and O's guys but the Nets played at times like there were zero repercussions for losing.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    No, the nets players had no respect for him. Great X's and O's guys but the Nets played at times like there were zero repercussions for losing.
    I think you have just described D'Antoni