Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Default Re: List of Countries that Finished on Top of Canada in the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    There like the champions at losing.
    Actually they'd be the champions of 3rd place. Champions of losing would probably be the people who weren't even good enough to place, no?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Actually they'd be the champions of 3rd place. Champions of losing would probably be the people who weren't even good enough to place, no?

And what does that sound like?

And what does that sound like?
    Not the champions of losing like you suggested? Not that hard to grasp really. I'm not even saying 3rd place is good or something to be proud of. Nobody aims to finish 3rd. Just that finishing 2nd-3rd in events with a ton of people wouldn't be champions of losing. Maybe champions of being medicore? I'd probably say the people who failed to qualify would be the champions of losing.

Common sense really. Wouldn't call OKC the champions of losing, just not the clear best. That'd be reserved for the Bobcats. Do you follow?

It's actually incredibly embarrassing that Canada got 12 bronzes to their one gold. Thats got to be the worst bronze/gold ratio in the entire world. There like the champions at losing.
    Would you rather have no bronzes at all?

china 2nd huh ?.......well the video "Girl eats dog shit straight from a dog's ass" which i saw today, suggest china is not that great and canada is better

[COLOR="Gray"](could be from Thailand though)........but still......[/COLOR]

Not the champions of losing like you suggested? Not that hard to grasp really. I'm not even saying 3rd place is good or something to be proud of. Nobody aims to finish 3rd. Just that finishing 2nd-3rd in events with a ton of people wouldn't be champions of losing. Maybe champions of being medicore? I'd probably say the people who failed to qualify would be the champions of losing.

Common sense really. Wouldn't call OKC the champions of losing, just not the clear best. That'd be reserved for the Bobcats. Do you follow?
    Uh.. youre looking into it way too much dude. This isnt something you can prove one way or another so you're never going to be right like you want to be.

I can say.. technically 12 bronze medals means they lost in a bunch of events that they were compeititive in but just couldnt break the barrier. Like how everyone calls TMac a 'loser' despite being a great player because he was good enough to make the playoffs(qualify for an event) but could never take a series(win gold).. although Canada did get one gold.

It all depends on how you define losing so you're never going to 'win' this internet debate. No one is.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    It's just that Mr Know It All is way too defensive and keeps using lameass excuses. "If we multiply Canada's population and medals by 10, then we'd be more impressive." OK, so if we multiply Grenada's population and medals similarly, then Grenada would get 3,000 gold medals?

I wouldn't shit on silver and bronze medals, but wouldn't you like to see a bunch of golds to go along with them?
    I only started in response to those boasting about US superiority, that's how this all started (and it has spanned about 4 threads now, amazingly enough ).

I wasn't using population in ratio to medals as the gold standard of comparing the Olympic performance of competing countries, but I did so to demonstrate that the United States has advantages when compared to Canada. Originally, I only posted in defense of my own country coming under attack because another Canadian poster posted a jab at Americans in the 1st or 2nd post in the original thread.

As someone already stated, Canadian athletes are dumped on by our government and not given near the funding or opportunities of American athletes. This doesn't reflect poorly on Canada however, because we instead use that money to put into social programs and not towards a meaningless dick measuring contest between nations (which is what the Olympics is). Now, do not take this as bitterness, because it is not, I am only stating a fact, that is that Canadian athletes are robbed of the funding they sorely deserve.

This debate has raged on for over a week now, I can't say I am getting tired of it because it is consistently entertaining (although obviously pointless).

I think placing in 3rd place in the Olympics in any event is at least slightly gratifying. At least you know that you're third best among the best athletes in the world in that specific sport.

I can imagine, though, training hard for 4 years and placing 3rd not being very appealing, but it is much better than placing any lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    I only started in response to those boasting about US superiority, that's how this all started (and it has spanned about 4 threads now, amazingly enough ).

I wasn't using population in ratio to medals as the gold standard of comparing the Olympic performance of competing countries, but I did so to demonstrate that the United States has advantages when compared to Canada. Originally, I only posted in defense of my own country coming under attack because another Canadian poster posted a jab at Americans in the 1st or 2nd post in the original thread.

As someone already stated, Canadian athletes are dumped on by our government and not given near the funding or opportunities of American athletes. This doesn't reflect poorly on Canada however, because we instead use that money to put into social programs and not towards a meaningless dick measuring contest between nations (which is what the Olympics is). Now, do not take this as bitterness, because it is not, I am only stating a fact, that is that Canadian athletes are robbed of the funding they sorely deserve.

This debate has raged on for over a week now, I can't say I am getting tired of it because it is consistently entertaining (although obviously pointless).
    Why couldn't you post like this all along? I don't think you would have gotten as much shit if you posted like this.

Uh.. youre looking into it way too much dude. This isnt something you can prove one way or another so you're never going to be right like you want to be.

I can say.. technically 12 bronze medals means they lost in a bunch of events that they were compeititive in but just couldnt break the barrier. Like how everyone calls TMac a 'loser' despite being a great player because he was good enough to make the playoffs(qualify for an event) but could never take a series(win gold).. although Canada did get one gold.

It all depends on how you define losing so you're never going to 'win' this internet debate. No one is.
    I'm not trying to win any debate. I don't care about the Olympics one bit. I just don't understand how finishing 3rd place would make somebody the champions of losing. You can define losing any way you want too but once you use the word "champion" your implying their the best at it. 3rd place wouldn't be the best at losing. How could they be the champion of losing when they consistently finish ahead of other teams?

I get it was probably just a quick insult or whatever, it just makes zero sense. No way arguing around that. Saying they lost alot, calling them losers would make sense(like the T-Mac reference) but champions of losers? No go.

3rd place can be called alot of things but one thing that's unarguable is that it's better than 4th\5th\6th etc. Your implying Bronze is the champion of losing, what the f*ck does that make 4th place? World champion of losing?

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    Why couldn't you post like this all along? I don't think you would have gotten as much shit if you posted like this.
    As I said, I responded initially to several posts demeaning Canada in several uncalled for ways. No doubt I was also out of hand in many ways in my responses to those posts, but that is to be expected when a debate gets heated.

I was never offended over the duration of the conversation, and I hope I never truly offended anyone else, to me the debate was simply in good fun (heated and drawn out as it got).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    As I said, I responded initially to several posts demeaning Canada in several uncalled for ways. No doubt I was also out of hand in many ways in my responses to those posts, but that is to be expected when a debate gets heated.

I was never offended over the duration of the conversation, and I hope I never truly offended anyone else, to me the debate was simply in good fun (heated and drawn out as it got).

lets be honest... everyone like a good debate.

i love to argue, sometimes that means taking it to far.
    that the fun in argueing though.

a good debate is healthy

3rd place can be called alot of things but one thing that's unarguable is that it's better than 4th\5th\6th etc. Your implying Bronze is the champion of losing, what the f*ck does that make 4th place? World champion of losing?

No it would make them the grand lord's of losing. Non-qualifiers are the imperial kings of losing, and the people who didnt even make the olympics like me and you are the immortal sun gods of losing.. sitting here arguing semantics on a internet forum.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Canada is a winter driven country, it's economy, tourism etc etc are all winter based. It's of little surprise they don't do well in the summer games. the US doesn't do as well in the winter games because winter sports are not taught in our schools. I grew up in Calif. My High school had a track around the football field, basketball courts inside and out and a couple baseball diamonds a swimming pool and SCUBA diving was a PE Course.

My friend from Alberta, his school had a hockey rink tennis courts, huge indoor gym and speed skating was a PE course.

Comparing the two countries based on medal count is whack, trying to bring down a country on it's sports accomplishments is even more whack.

Now since I've avoided making a moose joke at Canada's expense i'm going to have a beer, a Moosehead because Canada do beer just fine

I'm just happy GB absolutely creamed Australia.