Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Best Season of The Sopranos

Made a best season of the wire thread last week now I want opinion on the sopranos.

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

Season 5

Season 6

My rankings...
    1. Season 2 (Richie Aprile made this season the best)
    2. Season 1 (Tony vs Uncle Junior)
    3. Season 3 (Pine Barrens, nuff said)
    4. Season 5 (I liked how they added new characters to the show)
    5. Season 4 (Disappointing season, Seemed like I was watching a soap opera at times)
    6. Season 6 (By far the worst season, especially part 1. They focused way too much on Vito & him being gay.)

Default Re: Best Season of The Sopranos

I agree entirely with your rankings.

I would also like to say that Ralphie was by far the funniest & most sociopathic character in the entire series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Z1yQnZMdg

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

I still need to check out this show. Never really watched it but I've had season 1&2 on DVD for years now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    I still need to check out this show. Never really watched it but I've had season 1&2 on DVD for years now.

it's arguably the best show of all time with a ending that didn't let down.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist

it's arguably the best show of all time with a ending that didn't let down.
    I don't follow very many TV shows at all. Outside of animated shows (South Park, Boondocks, ATHF) I've never watch an entire season of a television series.

Local High School Star Ol Dirty Bastard's Avatar

The Sopranos was/is my favorite show of all time. I have seen every season except the last more than once/twice.

I was obsessed with this series and got hooked right from the first time I got season 1 on DVD.

Season 2 is the best, however critics have claimed seasons 1 & 2 to having the best story line in any show ever.

Season 4 was slow but had some great episodes. Season 6 was pretty lame except for the last 3-4 episodes which had viewers on edge.

LilBTheBasedGod
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I thought this was the Simpsons...

*walks out of thread*

Actually you can't walk out of a thread, its out of our dimension...

*thinks of something wittier to say*

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I absolute love the series too. I haven't seen an episode in probably three years though. I bought that complete series DVD set and watched it all over a month or so.

I find this rating a lot tougher than The Wire (which I also absolutely love), because the seasons are so much more distinct in The Wire. In Sopranoes, the story is far more linear, and it sort of bleeds together in my head over time. Some of that is just my distance from it, but it's still much more true than it is of The Wire.

I'll say that season 1 has some definite lulls, and far less commitment to the characters. You can almost tell that it was written as a movie script and fattened up to stretch it out. There's a few episodes that are nearly complete non-sequators, like the stuff with AJs football coach, which as the series progressed, felt so out of place. I remember rewatching it and thinking how small time it made them seem compared to my recollection of them over the years.

Each season has some extreme highs, and some definite lows. Season two I really hated the way they dealt with Nancy Marchant's death, the women who played Tony's mother, by editing together some gibberish to get some closure (Marchant actually lived next door to a friend of mine, and was a pain in the ass in real life too, a real "get off my lawn" type old lady).

I'll also say that as much as I loved it as it was going on ... I was one of the appointment TV guys who gathered with friends on Sunday nights ... watching the show in whole form over a short stretch and a not new, was a completely different experience, and one that made me enjoy much more. Knowing what was coming allowed me to not focus more on the smaller details, and while it took from that suspense element the show had, I also wasn't always looking for stuff to happen that wasn't going to happen, like waiting for the shoe to drop on the missing Russian in the pine barrens.

Its a close race between 2nd and 3rd and I agree that Ralphie was the best guest character.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I absolute love the series too. I haven't seen an episode in probably three years though. I bought that complete series DVD set and watched it all over a month or so.

I find this rating a lot tougher than The Wire (which I also absolutely love), because the seasons are so much more distinct in The Wire. In Sopranoes, the story is far more linear, and it sort of bleeds together in my head over time. Some of that is just my distance from it, but it's still much more true than it is of The Wire.

I'll say that season 1 has some definite lulls, and far less commitment to the characters. You can almost tell that it was written as a movie script and fattened up to stretch it out. There's a few episodes that are nearly complete non-sequators, like the stuff with AJs football coach, which as the series progressed, felt so out of place. I remember rewatching it and thinking how small time it made them seem compared to my recollection of them over the years.

Each season has some extreme highs, and some definite lows. Season two I really hated the way they dealt with Nancy Marchant's death, the women who played Tony's mother, by editing together some gibberish to get some closure (Marchant actually lived next door to a friend of mine, and was a pain in the ass in real life too, a real "get off my lawn" type old lady).

I'll also say that as much as I loved it as it was going on ... I was one of the appointment TV guys who gathered with friends on Sunday nights ... watching the show in whole form over a short stretch and a not new, was a completely different experience, and one that made me enjoy much more. Knowing what was coming allowed me to not focus more on the smaller details, and while it took from that suspense element the show had, I also wasn't always looking for stuff to happen that wasn't going to happen, like waiting for the shoe to drop on the missing Russian in the pine barrens.
    I think that was season 3.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

OP is right on.

The last 2-3 seasons were complete trash and took place over such a long period of time that I decided that the show had always sucked. Recently rewatched the first 2 and was gripped just like the first time I saw them.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I remember all the frustration of those last couple seasons. The long waits, and all the seemingly unanswered questions, and untied ends. People constantly tuning in to get resolution, and only getting more questions. But when I went back and watched it over a shorter span, and didn't have the frustration of anticipating things I knew weren't coming, those last couple seasons aren't nearly as bad as I remember when they were happening. In fact there's a lot of good stuff in there. The dream stuff when Tony was in the coma is actually pretty compelling stuff, but at the time I remember people being incredibly frustrated by it.

The gay Vito stuff wasn't very good, not even for it's being so overtly gay as much as it's distance from the rest of the ensemble. I remember reading that there was some issues upon contract negotiations regarding how much work people would do for the rate they were being offered, and because of that there was a need to push another story line to occupy the time, so there was some thinking that had something to do with it at the time. I don't really believe it, but it's an interesting notion.

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

I have all of those seasons...(I think my favorite is 2nd Season)

The worst is 6th where the Vito with gay shit, I can't stand it but still good show.

I'm glad most agree with me on Season 2 being the best. The last 2 episodes of that season were amazing & unexpected.