Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Portland Offers Roy Hibbert Max Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Career low in almost every statistic last year. His first season was arguably his best. You figure it out . At worst he's stayed the same which doesn't sound like a young player you give a max deal to if he's already not a true all star caliber player to begin with. I group him with borderline all star caliber players like Rudy Gay etc.
    Don't know where you get your stats, but last year he had career highs in points, rebounds, FG%, blocks and steals. He also commited fewer fouls and turnovers than the year before.

Oh and his rookie season was definitely the worst of his career.

You consider him the level of Rudy Gay, how much does he make???

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    This is just straight ignorance. The guy's gotten better every single year.

Anyway, as a Pacers fan, this is good. It means once we match it's 4.5% annual raises instead of 7.5%.
    Why didn't the Pacers trade up to draft John Jenkins?
    Would have fixed the shooting guard problems.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

This is just straight ignorance. The guy's gotten better every single year.

Anyway, as a Pacers fan, this is good. It means once we match it's 4.5% annual raises instead of 7.5%.
    By how much? Not as much as any other star in the NBA that commands a max salary. Dude is going into his 5th season and is 25 years old. Funny thing is dude came into the league more polished than 99 percent of modern day bigmen yet he still hasn't improved at a good enough pace. What's more is physically dude has an advantage over pretty much everybody being 7'2" 280 pounds.

College star

Which is why I admitted my inaccurate statement. I retract it and go from saying regress to slow progression. Hibbert isn't a baby. He's a very skilled, polished player going into his 5th season that's always had a skill based game. He was never raw like Griffin where he needs a lot of time to really put it together.

Nothing has indicated high upside or big leap in improvement.
    I think with more touches he could probably put up 18 PPG. He has to be more assertive in the post, and make sure he establishes himself on the block earlier in the shot clock.

He's definitely the best big that's been available the last two off seasons (not including Dwight's "availability" the last year or so), so though he's certainly not worth a max contract, I can understand the reasoning to overpay him, considering guys like DJ get $10 million dollar just to sit on the bench in the fourth quarter and lose minutes to the likes of Reggie Evans in the playoffs.

He should get paid. Just not paid like he's a first ballot HoFer.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Why didn't the Pacers trade up to draft John Jenkins?
    Would have fixed the shooting guard problems.
    Because John Jenkins is Kyle Korver if he's lucky. They bought Orlando Johnson's who much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Don't know where you get your stats, but last year he had career highs in points, rebounds, FG%, blocks and steals. He also commited fewer fouls and turnovers than the year before.

Oh and his rookie season was definitely the worst of his career.

You consider him the level of Rudy Gay, how much does he make???
    Gay also got a contract he didn't deserve and Grizzlies fans as well as others admit that. I'm not saying Roy WON'T get a max deal or won't get overpaid... doesn't mean every time it happens I'm not going to think it's ridiculous, just like any other fan. My point was, fringe all star (made it by default last year) doesn't deserve max deal, Gay included.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    I think with more touches he could probably put up 18 PPG. He has to be more assertive in the post, and make sure he establishes himself on the block earlier in the shot clock.

He's definitely the best big that's been available the last two off seasons (not including Dwight's "availability" the last year or so), so though he's certainly not worth a max contract, I can understand the reasoning to overpay him, considering guys like DJ get $10 million dollar just to sit on the bench in the fourth quarter and lose minutes to the likes of Reggie Evans in the playoffs.

He should get paid. Just not paid like he's a first ballot HoFer.
    So we agree . You disagree with me about his potential but the idea that he will be far overpaid is something we agree on. I understand the whole big man premium deal but he should still be under max. What is the exact number for this contract anyways with new CBA? Like 4 years/60 mill or something?

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

By how much? Not as much as any other star in the NBA that commands a max salary. Dude is going into his 5th season and is 25 years old. Funny thing is dude came into the league more polished than 99 percent of modern day bigmen yet he still hasn't improved at a good enough pace. What's more is physically dude has an advantage over pretty much everybody being 7'2" 280 pounds.
    You're just laughably wrong. He was embarrassing as a rookie, and well into his 2nd year. He wasn't polished in any way other than being big (and out of shape, which has been corrected).

If his improvement isn't a good enough pace then I don't know what the hell you expect. Paying Roy Hibbert ~13.5 mil next year isn't the problem. The problem is max contract that make him "comparable" to guys like Durant. There should be no "max" contract. That's an entirely different discussion though.

Saw a basketball once Mr. Feeny's Avatar

Because John Jenkins is Kyle Korver if he's lucky. They bought Orlando Johnson's who much, much better.
    This guy was the ONLY player worth watching here at UCSB, hoping he'll get to see some playing time this season!

College star

So we agree . You disagree with me about his potential but the idea that he will be far overpaid is something we agree on. I understand the whole big man premium deal but he should still be under max. What is the exact number for this contract anyways with new CBA? Like 4 years/60 mill or something?
    Yea pretty much

Not sure about the contact, but it'll definitely weigh much heavier on the year to year salary, and just end sooner.

You're just laughably wrong. He was embarrassing as a rookie, and well into his 2nd year. He wasn't polished in any way other than being big (and out of shape, which has been corrected).

If his improvement isn't a good enough pace then I don't know what the hell you expect. Paying Roy Hibbert ~13.5 mil next year isn't the problem. The problem is max contract that make him "comparable" to guys like Durant. There should be no "max" contract. That's an entirely different discussion though.
    Embarrassing because he was as weak as a fish and is a pathetic rebounder for his size. You realize at Georgetown the dude was known for his variety of post moves and killer hook shot right? Excellent touch at the rim? Good passer and solid jumper. You'll find that on scouting reports on Draftexpress as well as DraftNet too.

He was FAR from a "raw" prospect as most bigs from Georgetown rarely are.

13.5 mill a year is about right in the way of the recent trend of overpaying centers but he's worth 10-11 tops as Quizno said already.

Bottom line is... he's not worth 13.5 mill a year or w/e but WILL get it because he's a skilled center who's still young. I understand tons of players are overpaid but still surprises me every time. Max deals should be reserved for legit all star caliber players.

Love this move. If we get Hibbert it's a sweet move for Portland. If not we just screwed Indiana over hard.

Portland screwed Utah over before, now we're doing it again to another team.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Maybe Portland did this (knowing Indy would match) to screw the Pacers over in cap space?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan

If the Pacers lose Hibbert, then who do they have to play center?
    Al Jefferson! They have money to take him on.