Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What if we discovered that everytime you fall asleep you died..

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    ..and a new person with all of your memories wakes up in the morning, would you go to sleep tonight?

The new person has no idea they are new and they just assume that they are a continuation of the person that fell asleep the night before. So basically you right now will stop existing if you go to sleep and be replaced by a new you. This also means that the you from yesterday is now dead and you are their replacement. Does impeding death bother you in this scenario and would you try to hold it off or are you willing to give up your existence to the replacement you?

(Yeah.. I am kind of drunk again lol I think this makes sense though.. right!?)
    But that is what is actually happening... the continuity that it is you is imagined

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    That is true in a sense, but the present us is always accepted as the continuation of the previous versions of us. What I think I found interesting about the question last night is that trying to fend off death is a large part of human behavior. But in some way if we have already experienced death (by dying every night and someone new waking up) we might realize there isn't anything to worry about. If you were to realize the you right now is going to die and be replaced by another you would you still try to fight it or would you just go with it?
    The ego views many things as death like (maybe even worse than death)... public shaming, failing, etc. We have instincts to survive yes, but a fear of death? I don't know if I really buy that. As far as we know, animals don't fear death. They haven't evolved enough to become aware of death... so in that regard there is nothing for them to fear. I mean yes because we are aware of death we can say we fear it somewhat, but it's only because it represents the unknown. Otherwise, why should we fear something that is a part of life? There cannot be life without death.

The fact that we don't know what happens is the beauty of the whole process. If we knew for sure what happened after we die surely we would look at life differently and live it differently. The kicker is, when you go to sleep, you expect to wake up so there is nothing to fear. But what if you never woke up? What if you just died in your sleep and never came back? You would have never been afraid of anything in the first place.

BTW props to you for thinking thoughts like this. Usually when I drink, smoke weed or munch on some shrooms by myself, I start thinking about this kind of stuff too (I do when I am sober as well, but I definitely start thinking more abstractly when my mind is freed from sobriety). Some people might think, well what does it accomplish? And I would answer, a greater understanding of the self and the only things really matter in the end... life, and death.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 09-17-2013 at 04:05 AM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    The ego views many things as death like (maybe even worse than death)... public shaming, failing, etc. We have instincts to survive yes, but a fear of death? I don't know if I really buy that. As far as we know, animals don't fear death. They haven't evolved enough to become aware of death... so in that regard there is nothing for them to fear. I mean yes because we are aware of death we can say we fear it somewhat, but it's only because it represents the unknown. Otherwise, why should we fear something that is a part of life? There cannot be life without death.

The fact that we don't know what happens is the beauty of the whole process. If we knew for sure what happened after we die surely we would look at life differently and live it differently. The kicker is, when you go to sleep, you expect to wake up so there is nothing to fear. But what if you never woke up? What if you just died in your sleep and never came back? You would have never been afraid of anything in the first place.

BTW props to you for thinking thoughts like this. Usually when I drink, smoke weed or munch on some shrooms by myself, I start thinking about this kind of stuff too (I do when I am sober as well, but I definitely start thinking more abstractly when my mind is freed from sobriety). Some people might think, well what does it accomplish? And I would answer, a greater understanding of the self and the only things really matter in the end... life, and death.
    well, let's just say this-- you are a pretty, pretty, pretty amazing motherf--ker to realise all that, IMO.

Haha yea I don't know about that. Sometimes I think you give me too much credit Gigantes but

Local High School Star

You can't stop yourself from falling asleep right? So i'll do whatever I want then go sleep...

   

look... see... different person.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    look... see... different person.

Random ass bump.

cool thread