Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Bustly15A5RU8
    If he could play defense he'd be the best PF of all time.
    That's somewhat of a myth.

I know he jokes about it himself, but he was as good of a defender as he could be for somebody at his height at his position. While he may not have been the best one on one defender, he was still good at other aspects. He's at worst an avg defender and at best slightly better than average considering other aspects he brought to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    He Wasn`t as Bad Defender as People Make Him To Be. He Was Lazy Thats True. He Never had a Great Defensive Anchor Unlike guys like Duncan (Robinson), Malone (Eaton) etc to Make It Easier for him. The Year he Played with Moses just for the Season in 1985-86 he Finished Top 7 In Defensive Rating. Had he Played with a Better Defensive Team or Anchor He Would Have Benefited More So. He was Averaging like 2 SPG and 1.5 BPG when he had a Defensive Anchor but After that He Was Alone. I am Not Saying He Was Great Defender but He Was Certainly Above Average.

If You Wan`t to See Young Charles with Some Nice Defensive Plays Watch This While Defending Bird and McHale:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZYTkjnDlU
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nSA3...feature=relmfu

My dude, how old are you?

Just curious man. N.iggas now a days dont appreciate guys like chuck anymore.

IMO, Chuck with a few rings, would be GOAT PF. Just sucks that Jordan had to exist. (HA!)

But, Chuck was truly, a unique presence. To be honest, the man was 6'4. Just dominating the glass like it wasnt shit. I'm talking, I used to watch Chuck shit on n.iggas twice his size.lol

He would put you on his backside, box you out, and punk the shit out of you.

Chuck is my favorite PF of all time. Love how he was 6'4 and just dominating the paint. like people had to pay him rent.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

This isn't really signature. Ray Allen dunked like this too in his athletic prime. Look up youtube videos. A lot of people used to say how he would dunk like like a monkey/gorilla whatever lol, so it's not really signature to Charles. I don't think Ray Allen was copying Charles Barkley or anything that is just the way he dunked and it's just the way it looked when he dunked two handed.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    My dude, how old are you?

Just curious man. N.iggas now a days dont appreciate guys like chuck anymore.

IMO, Chuck with a few rings, would be GOAT PF. Just sucks that Jordan had to exist. (HA!)

But, Chuck was truly, a unique presence. To be honest, the man was 6'4. Just dominating the glass like it wasnt shit. I'm talking, I used to watch Chuck shit on n.iggas twice his size.lol

He would put you on his backside, box you out, and punk the shit out of you.

Chuck is my favorite PF of all time. Love how he was 6'4 and just dominating the paint. like people had to pay him rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    His signature move was the "chicken wing" in the post. Do your homework OP.

no need to do home work..I'm baseing my opinions from watching his whole career...

- and yes you are correct...he did use the reverse pivot/spin ( while trapping his defender with a "chiken wing")...

- But just as Chris Webber and Shaq said.....Barkley was one of the first PF's who could take the ball coast to coast (off of the dribble and create)....he ushered in a whole new generation of Big Men ( along with Magic and Bird...Big Men wanted to be able to dribble after getting a rebound and take it all the way)

- what you are talking about is a Post move nearly all Big men use.....but Barkley was a pioneer in playing a more versatile game....and thinking about one move is very hard for any player.

- but when I think of Barkley...it's the Gorilla Dunk....him getting a board and creating a nasty attack of the rim and finishing with a two handed Dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    This isn't really signature. Ray Allen dunked like this too in his athletic prime. Look up youtube videos. A lot of people used to say how he would dunk like like a monkey/gorilla whatever lol, so it's not really signature to Charles. I don't think Ray Allen was copying Charles Barkley or anything that is just the way he dunked and it's just the way it looked when he dunked two handed.

Ray allen is a SG who patterns his game mostly after other great shooters....not Charles Barkley .....

- Chuck's abilty to rebound and create off of the dribble was very unique in his generation...and helped influence the next generation of PF's

- of course guy's who dunk aren't copying Barkley.....it's about that one move that you think of when you say the players name.

- example: Ray Allen = screen Rub baseline 3 pointer....does that mean every player who shoots a baseline 3 is copying Ray?...

He was a monster... although i wouldnt put him ahead of Lebron in that coast to coast / transition / fastbreak department, ive NEVER seen anything close to Lebron in that specific department... People keep talking about his strength, speed and so on when he freight trains up, but its his ballhandling (and unique vision/passing aswell) at that size that makes it even more unfair...

Those were highlights for Barkley, but this is what Lebron attempts every single time he grabs that ball at his own rim...
    Last edited by pauk; 10-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    He was a monster... although i wouldnt put him ahead of Lebron in that coast to coast / transition / fastbreak department, ive NEVER seen anything close to Lebron in that specific department... People keep talking about his strength, speed and so on when he freight trains up, but its his ballhandling (and unique vision/passing aswell) at that size that makes it even more unfair...

Those were highlights for Barkley, but this is what Lebron attempts every single time he grabs that ball at his own rim...
    Are you trying to suggest that highlight material for Barkley is but mere "routine" activity for Lebron? If so, No.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

BuffaloBill was here. I can sense his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

- yeah you maybe right...but I was coming from the aspect of ....Barkley was one of the pioneer's ...

- Barkley helped redifine the role ( along with Magic and Bird)...Barkley was one of the first PF's who could do all those things...he helped change the traditional position to a more open / skilled game.

without Barkley and Magic..Lebron would be a 6'9" PF who just rebounded and post up.

NBA Superstar

Just to throw my hat into the ring about the whole Charles Barkley height thing - I tend to use his mugshot as a very loose reference. First, I figure he's wearing shoes in the picture, which is most often how heights are listed in the NBA. Second, I figure even if the mug shot weren't entirely accurate, it likely wasn't off by 3+ inches:

If nothing else, I compare him to a player of similar height. Here he is standing directly next to 6'6'' Michael Jordan.

And if it helps further, here's 6'6'' Michael Jordan looking down at listed 6'4'' Gary Payton:

Depending on a player's true barefoot height, there's a pretty wide window of height claim variance. For instance, if Barkley truly was listed at 6'4'' and 3/4ths, that could theoretically give him claim to 6'4'' (if he rounds down), 6'5'' (if he rounds up), and 6'6'' (in shoes). There might even be a push for 6'7'' a media guide decides to take the shoe height and jump it up a notch.

I personally do the same thing. I'm 6'2'' and 3/4 (barefoot). I call this 6'3''. However, there's times I claim 6'4'' due to my shoe height. And in the past, there were actually times I'd claim 6'2'' so people thought the fact I could dunk was even cooler.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Why is it so Hard for People to Believe he was Just 6`4 3/4 ft or 1.95 mt.?

That was the Olympic Listing and Himself he says that he is 6`4 3/4 ft only.

Though Listed at 6`6 ft or 1.98 mt Doesn`t Mean He Was that Height. In Shoes he was probably at best 6`5 1/2 ft, below 6`6.

The Thing is that Other Players like Karl Malone who was really 6`8 3/4 ft (2.04 mt) and at 6`9 ft (2.05 ft) If You Round Up etc Its Ok But Its Stupid to Say Barkley was 6`6 ft (1.98 mt) While When He Standed Next to Guys that are Actually 6`6 ft or 1.98 mt like Chris Mullin, Mark Aguirre, Thunder Dan etc he Looks Way Smaller.

Also His Bulky Frame Makes Him Look Taller Too (more like around or over 260 lbs than his official listing 252 lbs)

Barkley was Better than Lebron James in Coast to Coast because he had Superior Lateral Movement. Lebron James Lacks That. But in the Open Floor Can`t Go Wrong With Either of Them.

Also Barkley was a Rebounding Power Machine and his Post Game was Godly and the Most Effective In the NBA besides Shaq.

He was the Perfect Mix of Leaping Ability (39 inches), Weight, Natural Strength, Power or Potence, Agility, Speed and That Combined With Great Post Game Skills

The Best Combination of Power and Finess The NBA has Ever Seen.
    Last edited by Round Mound; 10-08-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Just to throw my hat into the ring about the whole Charles Barkley height thing - I tend to use his mugshot as a very loose reference. First, I figure he's wearing shoes in the picture, which is most often how heights are listed in the NBA. Second, I figure even if the mug shot weren't entirely accurate, it likely wasn't off by 3+ inches:

If nothing else, I compare him to a player of similar height. Here he is standing directly next to 6'6'' Michael Jordan.

And if it helps further, here's 6'6'' Michael Jordan looking down at listed 6'4'' Gary Payton:

Depending on a player's true barefoot height, there's a pretty wide window of height claim variance. For instance, if Barkley truly was listed at 6'4'' and 3/4ths, that could theoretically give him claim to 6'4'' (if he rounds down), 6'5'' (if he rounds up), and 6'6'' (in shoes). There might even be a push for 6'7'' a media guide decides to take the shoe height and jump it up a notch.

I personally do the same thing. I'm 6'2'' and 3/4 (barefoot). I call this 6'3''. However, there's times I claim 6'4'' due to my shoe height. And in the past, there were actually times I'd claim 6'2'' so people thought the fact I could dunk was even cooler.

- I wouldn't take too much stock into the Mugshot...those cameras are not accurate...and easily could have been taken from the camera bieng mounted lower ( looking up)..rather then level ( as it is mounted to take photo's of the average hieght)...

- I would just go off of what Barkley himself says...."no taller then 6'4" "

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - I wouldn't take too much stock into the Mugshot...those cameras are not accurate...and easily could have been taken from the camera bieng mounted lower ( looking up)..rather then level ( as it is mounted to take photo's of the average hieght)...

- I would just go off of what Barkley himself says...."no taller then 6'4" "
    I do go by what Barkley says, and unlike you I don't take quotes from his book out of context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDz2yGoK_xk&t=1m

Chick Hearn: "Actually your not even 6-5!"

Barkley: "I'm almost 6-5" ..."I'm 6-4 and 3/4"

which is exactly what me and RoundMound have been saying... Chuck isn't 6-4 unless you have a bad habit of rounding down 3/4 of an inch... In his book if he does say 6-4 and doesn't include the fraction than I'm sure he means 6-4 the same way Bill Russell meant 6-9 (Bill was actually 6-9 and 5/8ths... closer to 6-10 - but he considers himself "6-9" because he wasn't quite 6-10 despite the counter intuitive rounding)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Barkley's new signature move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJ1V...layer_embedded

Falling asleep on camera.