Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Save The Sonics

Both teams played hard 2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar

Default Re: Save The Sonics

As an original Charlotte Hornets fan I feel your pain. We loved the team but grew further and further away because of all the tragedies and police blotter. Bobby Phils dying racing David Wesley, all Anthony Mason's arrest, and owner George Shinn scandals put a rift between us and our sports team, especially when combined with the problems with the Panthers (Fred Lane being murdered by his wife, and Rae Carruth murdering his pregnant babys-mother-to-be). At least we got another team but it hurts me to this day when their called the New Orleans Hornets, and that their biggest star was NC born and bred.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
    As an original Charlotte Hornets fan I feel your pain. We loved the team but grew further and further away because of all the tragedies and police blotter. Bobby Phils dying racing David Wesley, all Anthony Mason's arrest, and owner George Shinn scandals put a rift between us and our sports team, especially when combined with the problems with the Panthers (Fred Lane being murdered by his wife, and Rae Carruth murdering his pregnant babys-mother-to-be). At least we got another team but it hurts me to this day when their called the New Orleans Hornets, and that their biggest star was NC born and bred.
    one would think that the nba would learn from the fiasco that shinn had created. he really screwed the great fans of charlotte

there was that famous bumper-sticker "shinn happens"

Sorry Sonics fans...you're getting screwed.

check out:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004266448_sonics07m.html

also--

Sonics rally planned
    Posted by Jayda Evans
    Save Our Sonics planned a rally in Olympia for tomorrow. Organizers admitted to the late notice, but given all the news that has generated this week and how the onus is now on legislators to make a move, the need is now to show support, according to co-founder Brian Robinson. Here's the release.

When: Saturday, March 8, 10-11am
    Please try to be there a few minutes early to account for the drive and parking.
    Where: Between Legislative Building and Capital, Dome
    Please join us in the courtyard between these two buildings.

What: Show support for keeping the Sonics in the region
    Supporters of the legislation to fund a Key Arena Renovation package proposed by Seattle Mayor Greg Nichols and supported by new potential team ownership will gather at the steps of the legislative building encouraging members of legislature to pass the proposal during the current legislative session.
    Participants are encouraged to wear Sonics logo clothing and all participants will receive a complimentary Save Our Sonics T-Shirt.

Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp and George Karl will appear tonight on FSN's Best Damn Sports Show. The show will air at 11 p.m. and replay tomorrow at 12:30 a.m. Payton and Kemp are in the studio and Karl joins via satellite.

Payton on the possibility of the Sonics leaving Seattle:
    "We hope to keep hope alive. We want to get our numbers retired in Seattle. I wouldn't feel comfortable with going nowhere else. I don't think it's fair to the Seattle people for us to go somewhere and have a ceremony in some other city when we started something in Seattle. We love those fans and they love us. We wanna go back to them and let them see our numbers get raised to the rafters in their city and nowhere else."
    Kemp on the possibility of the Sonics leaving Seattle:
    "When Gary came in from Oregon State, we talked about looking up there one day and seeing our jerseys up there in the banner. I think something can happen. The Seahawks went through it a little bit where the team threatened to leave the city and they stayed and I'm hoping the same thing happens with the Sonics where eventually they can get something worked out."

Saw a basketball once

"i was a soph in h.s. when the sonics won it. we went downtown after the game and it was crazy!

what town were you from?"

I grew up in Montesano. A small town who's population was below 3000 at the time. You probably haven't heard of it, its 10 miles from Aberdeen/Hoquiam.

I just remember how excited people were. To be honest i wasn't a big NBA fan then, but i still got excited when i saw how up everyone else was. And of course its what started me liking the Sonics. At that age I didnt realize how rare the championship was going to be to Seattle sports fans. As the saying goes, if i knew then, what i know now...lol, well i think i would have savored it even that much more.

Ive looked around on the web some and i cant seem to find footage of the end of the last game. i wanted to post it here to remind people of how awsome it was. In my mind i remember, i think Gus Williams ( please correct me if im wrong ) dribbling the ball all around trying to avoid the defenders and run the clock down, and as the clock hit the last few seconds he grabbed the ball with both hands and slung it up into the rafters underhand style, and i swear i remember the basketball anouncer ( can anyone confirm this?) saying "And as time runs out the basketball world is upside down, Seattle has won the championship." lol. If so its kind of funny because i think 30 years later the rest of the world would still have that reaction if one of our teams would win a championship. :P

Whats starting to concern me most is that no one seems to be talking about this in the mainstream sports media. I work a job where i drive all day long, and i always have the radio tunned into ESPN sports radio. I dont think i hear even one comment about Seattle's situation in an entire week.

While i dont think this is some sort of conspiracy ( Like the Sonics vs Suns final playoff game back in the early 90's where seattle got called for more than 3 times the fouls that the Suns did. But thats another subject. ) I do wonder why this isn't getting more attention. If i try to separate my fan-hood and just look at this objectively i don't understand why this isn't a bigger concern for other small to medium market fans. Part of me also wonders, given the extreme unfairness of the situation, why ESPN and other top sports media that are looking for good stories wouldn't pick this up and run with it. But all i can do is my part and hope the little snowball turns into a full fledged avalanche of Basketball fan outrage.

Keep it rollin peeps. Don't let this thread die.

Save our Sonics!
    Last edited by Weez65; 03-07-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Saw a basketball once

GREAT news Rainer Beach Poet! Thats the kind of thing i was talking about when i said we need to get more high profile people behind the movement to keep the team in town.

Im gonna try to get up to oly tomorrow. Maybe ill see some of you there.

Save Our Sonics!

Saw a basketball once

Btw, anyone know what it takes to get a thread stickied on this board? i looked around last night but didn't see an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Weez65
    "i was a soph in h.s. when the sonics won it. we went downtown after the game and it was crazy!

what town were you from?"

I grew up in Montesano. A small town who's population was below 3000 at the time. You probably haven't heard of it, its 10 miles from Aberdeen/Hoquiam.

I just remember how excited people were. To be honest i wasn't a big NBA fan then, but i still got excited when i saw how up everyone else was. And of course its what started me liking the Sonics. At that age I didnt realize how rare the championship was going to be to Seattle sports fans. As the saying goes, if i knew then, what i know now...lol, well i think i would have savored it even that much more.

Ive looked around on the web some and i cant seem to find footage of the end of the last game. i wanted to post it here to remind people of how awsome it was. In my mind i remember, i think Gus Williams ( please correct me if im wrong ) dribbling the ball all around trying to avoid the defenders and run the clock down, and as the clock hit the last few seconds he grabbed the ball with both hands and slung it up into the rafters underhand style, and i swear i remember the basketball anouncer ( can anyone confirm this?) saying "And as time runs out the basketball world is upside down, Seattle has won the championship." lol. If so its kind of funny because i think 30 years later the rest of the world would still have that reaction if one of our teams would win a championship. :P

Whats starting to concern me most is that no one seems to be talking about this in the mainstream sports media. I work a job where i drive all day long, and i always have the radio tunned into ESPN sports radio. I dont think i hear even one comment about Seattle's situation in an entire week.

While i dont think this is some sort of conspiracy ( Like the Sonics vs Suns final playoff game back in the early 90's where seattle got called for more than 3 times the fouls that the Suns did. But thats another subject. ) I do wonder why this isn't getting more attention. If i try to separate my fan-hood and just look at this objectively i don't understand why this isn't a bigger concern for other small to medium market fans. Part of me also wonders, given the extreme unfairness of the situation, why ESPN and other top sports media that are looking for good stories wouldn't pick this up and run with it. But all i can do is my part and hope the little snowball turns into a full fledged avalanche of Basketball fan outrage.

Keep it rollin peeps. Don't let this thread die.

Save our Sonics!
    never been to montesano-- but i will keep an eye out for it the next time i am near aberdeen

yes--- that is the lasting image of gus throwing that ball in the air as time ran out

for us in the pacific nw, this was a GREAT moment. that is such an ironic hyperbole about the basketball world being upside down because outside of the "sonic" basketball world (and bullet also), no one else really cared. the nba probably was at a low for the decade because of the drugs and the fact that blacks were dominating the league like never before-- white america and media couldnt rally around the personalities of the sonic-bullet finals

regarding the lack of interest in saving the sonics, it isnt on the radar screen of others because they are not personally affected. as i reflect on the charlotte fan's previous comment, i knew about shinn wanting to move the hornets in 2001, but the import of it all didnt really hit me at the time and i only followed it in the two paragraphs that were in the seattle times at the time

the same thing is happening to us now

NBA lottery pick

So give us an update. Does it look like these "private investors" are going to be able to pull this off?

Technically I can't think of any reason why Bennet _has_ to sell the team, unless the NBA steps in.

I'm pulling for you though. I think letting him get away with this hurts the league, not just the Seattle fans who are getting raped by this a-hole.

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    So give us an update. Does it look like these "private investors" are going to be able to pull this off?

Technically I can't think of any reason why Bennet _has_ to sell the team, unless the NBA steps in.

I'm pulling for you though. I think letting him get away with this hurts the league, not just the Seattle fans who are getting raped by this a-hole.

Mathius
    looks like there is some dragging of the feet with regard to the legislature. there are almost out of session and their agenda seems full and there is a reluctance by some to rush this issue

you are right, bennett does not have any reason to sell-- especially since his main goal was to get a team for okc. the only thing we can hope for is a court decision that the sonics must honor the lease until 2010. this would give s more time to pressure him into selling (especially if anything opens up with any other teams moving)

Saw a basketball once

Ill bet if this had not been announced the day before the event, so people could plan, the number would have been much higher. I know i couldn't get out of work to go even though i really wanted to.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....36b541d0.html

Anyone that was able to go to the rally?

As far as the lawmakers goes, I will not vote again for anyone that does not get behind this. I know there is a sect ( usually people that hate sports ) that believes the money would be better used in other areas. Ive never understood how they cant see past the initial investment to the more enriched community that results in having or keeping such a part of local history

And lastly, ill ask it once more. Anyone know how we get a thread stickied here? i think this one is important enough and obviously is one that will continue to be discussed for months. I probably should just PM a mod i guess.

Saw a basketball once

I also noticed when watching the video clip that Slade Gorton is back trying to help save the Sonics. To those of you outside the Seattle area that are trying to keep track of this, Slade is the man that was HUGELY responsible for saving the mariners from moving to Tampa Bay/St. Petersburgh.

In fact the conditions were nearly identical. New ownership( Jeff Smulyan ) had promised from the beginning that it was keeping the team in town. It followed up with a DEMAND for a brand new stadium. Then a very sudden announcement that the team was leaving. All attempts to talk to the new owner were stonewalled. It was later revealed by a former employee of Jeff Smulyan that the day he finalized the purchase of the mariners he told his staff to start making preparations, The team was moving to Tampa. So...just another Cash-us Clay.

Heres the kicker though, what stopped Jeff Smulyan? While Slade Gorton and the group of heavy hitters he rounded up to keep the M's in Seattle certainly helped and were required for a save to happen, it may not have mattered at all if it were not for the fact that MLB did NOT want the Pacific Northwest to be devoid of a team.

So if we have reliable local ownership lined up, A great plan for a top league arena, AND the commish of the NBA on our side, i dont see how he can take the team. REMEMBER, Jeff Smulyan didnt want to re-sell to local ownership either. In the end his hand was forced.

Oh...wait. Thats right, David Stern is a mindless puppet for the whims of Cash-us.

But...its still good to see ol Slade get in there and fight for the Sonics. it sure cant hurt.

He's the man that sued Baseball over the loss of the Seattle Pilots and brought the M's into town in the first place. AND, he saved them when someone tried to steal them.

Lets hope he really sinks his teeth into this.

SAVE our SONICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Weez65
    Ill bet if this had not been announced the day before the event, so people could plan, the number would have been much higher. I know i couldn't get out of work to go even though i really wanted to.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....36b541d0.html

Anyone that was able to go to the rally?

As far as the lawmakers goes, I will not vote again for anyone that does not get behind this. I know there is a sect ( usually people that hate sports ) that believes the money would be better used in other areas. Ive never understood how they cant see past the initial investment to the more enriched community that results in having or keeping such a part of local history

And lastly, ill ask it once more. Anyone know how we get a thread stickied here? i think this one is important enough and obviously is one that will continue to be discussed for months. I probably should just PM a mod i guess.
    i didnt get to go-- i am out of state

you can try to pm a mod on the sticky, it might work and we would be no worse off than now

Saw a basketball once

Well Ive been trying to contact a mod, but everytime i click one of there names i get a msg that says i do not have sufficient privileges. My guess is im too new to the boards.

Ill keep workin on it though. This thread needs and deserves a sticky. Maybe one of you members with a longer history here can send a msg.

Save our SONICS!