Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Surprising Combine Results

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    It gives you a false barometer, though, when comparing them to current NBA players, whose heights are based on measurements with shoes on. That is why I prefer to look at the shoes measurement. I mean, if you have the barefoot measurement of every player in the NBA, then fine. But, I had to seek out that barefoot measurement for Williams... He is listed at 6-foot-3, even though he was measured at 6'2.75 at the combine with shoes on.

Does that mean Irving will be listed at 6-foot-4?

Regardless, it is shocking to me that Irving and Deron Williams were the same height without shoes. I wasn't even sure that Irving would crack 6' without shoes. Any way you look at it, those measurables were unexpected.
    I've been hearing a lot of people say they thought Irving was too small or, at least, on the smallish side for an NBA PG. And, like you, I've heard people say they figured he'd measure around 6'0" at the combine without shoes. I remember hearing that Irving was in the 6'2" or 6'3" range coming out of high school but didn't really believe it when I first saw him in a Duke game. Of course it's tough to really judge how tall a player is on TV.

Him being a legit 6'2" means he's got more than adequate size to play PG in the NBA. I still don't know if there are concerns with his toe injury or not. I saw where his body fat was over 10% which isn't exactly great, but it is a little understandable since he sat out almost the entire year.

Default Re: 2011 NBA Draft Combine

It's happening some kind of Draft Combine now at ESPNU?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I've been hearing a lot of people say they thought Irving was too small or, at least, on the smallish side for an NBA PG. And, like you, I've heard people say they figured he'd measure around 6'0" at the combine without shoes. I remember hearing that Irving was in the 6'2" or 6'3" range coming out of high school but didn't really believe it when I first saw him in a Duke game. Of course it's tough to really judge how tall a player is on TV.
    I think part of the reason for that is Irving's build is a bit stocky. The last few years, the point guards of similar size who have come out (Rose, Wall, Knight this year) all have a rangier, longer build to them, so in essence, it makes them appear taller. Even a guy like Deron Williams, whose relatively barrel chested, has longer limbs making him appear to be taller than Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    I think part of the reason for that is Irving's build is a bit stocky. The last few years, the point guards of similar size who have come out (Rose, Wall, Knight this year) all have a rangier, longer build to them, so in essence, it makes them appear taller. Even a guy like Deron Williams, whose relatively barrel chested, has longer limbs making him appear to be taller than Irving.
    Yeah, he definitely doesn't have a "freakish" wingspan. He's only got a 6'4" wingspan and an 8'3" standing-reach.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Yeah, he definitely doesn't have a "freakish" wingspan. He's only got a 6'4" wingspan and an 8'3" standing-reach.
    ...which, once again, are surprising numbers. While the wingspan is shorter than Deron Williams, Irving's reach is actually longer.

Williams' reach -- measured at the combine -- was 8'2".

Let's face it.... Irving doesn't have a single measurable that stacks up poorly against ANY of the elite PGs in the NBA. In fact, his measurables are excellent, across the board.

Saw a basketball once Batkins22's Avatar

Default Re: 2011 NBA Draft Combine

I made highlights of Jimmer at the combine..

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY2Xjc7IgXU