Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default What if we discovered that everytime you fall asleep you died..

..and a new person with all of your memories wakes up in the morning, would you go to sleep tonight?

The new person has no idea they are new and they just assume that they are a continuation of the person that fell asleep the night before. So basically you right now will stop existing if you go to sleep and be replaced by a new you. This also means that the you from yesterday is now dead and you are their replacement. Does impeding death bother you in this scenario and would you try to hold it off or are you willing to give up your existence to the replacement you?

(Yeah.. I am kind of drunk again lol I think this makes sense though.. right!?)
    Last edited by miller-time; 09-15-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Default Re: What if we discovered that everytime you fall asleep you died..

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Who is taking care of all these corpses?
    It is an internal process. Your personality/psyche/soul whatever is being replaced. Not your entire body.

As random as this thread is, it did just help me find out something intresting. I decided to see how many times that woulda been that I fell asleep and died and I found out that today is 9,998 days since I was born

Tuesday is my 10,000th day on earth!

P.S...how would this work with times that you fall asleep when it's not overnight? Ex: falling asleep in class, taking naps, falling asleep during movies etc. Do you die then too? Even when you just doze off for 1-2 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    would be quite awkward seeing killbot walk into your class to take his corpse away.
    It'd look like the Bone Thugs Crossroads music video when that grim reaper in the suit came in and took the body

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    P.S...how would this work with times that you fall asleep when it's not overnight? Ex: falling asleep in class, taking naps, falling asleep during movies etc. Do you die then too? Even when you just doze off for 1-2 minutes?
    Let's say you have to complete one sleep cycle (stages 1, 2, 3 and REM) so about 90 minutes. Once you hit REM you die, although if you go through several cycles in a longer unbroken sleep you only die on the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    ..and a new person with all of your memories wakes up in the morning, would you go to sleep tonight?

The new person has no idea they are new and they just assume that they are a continuation of the person that fell asleep the night before. So basically you right now will stop existing if you go to sleep and be replaced by a new you. This also means that the you from yesterday is now dead and you are their replacement. Does impeding death bother you in this scenario and would you try to hold it off or are you willing to give up your existence to the replacement you?

Wait...the us from yesterday is basically dead. We are not who we were yesterday. The yesterday us (or a second ago) already stop existing.

   

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time

hah, i love it!

anyway, this is already kind of what happens to us, biologically and neurologically.

and IME... each time a new morning rolls around... if you find that you learned something interesting about yourself or the real world the day before, then there is an opportunity to look at yourself as a different person.

with each act and each bit of learning, we are creating ourselves... a process that never ends until we die. people who don't take advantage of that on a regular basis are really short-changing themselves IMO.

in christianity, this is also a big part of the deeper meaning of the cross and easter, etc.

What if there is no lapse in consciousness from your wake state to your sleep state? (WILD)

In theory, you could be consciousness of yourself dying and being reborn into another person altogether.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    What if there is no lapse in consciousness from your wake state to your sleep state? (WILD)

In theory, you could be consciousness of yourself dying and being reborn into another person altogether.
    there isn't. it just runs under different guidelines and is actually more active than during waking states, IIRC.

i know that wasn't your point, but... :P

I wouldnt really care. All we are is our memories anyway. You could choose to believe that anyway. There isnt anything scary about that.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    there isn't. it just runs under different guidelines and is actually more active than during waking states, IIRC.

i know that wasn't your point, but... :P
    Yes, technically, we don't lose consciousness, we just don't form memories at certain times. Which of course is what I was getting at..

Nah **** it

   

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Yes, technically, we don't lose consciousness, we just don't form memories at certain times. Which of course is what I was getting at..
    if that is the case, then i'd say that one notable aspect of your scenerio is that we would go insane rather rapidly.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

I guess this one define the expression "Woke up a different person", but yeah eventually you would have to sleep and that would be that.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Wait...the us from yesterday is basically dead. We are not who we were yesterday. The yesterday us (or a second ago) already stop existing.
    That is true in a sense, but the present us is always accepted as the continuation of the previous versions of us. What I think I found interesting about the question last night is that trying to fend off death is a large part of human behavior. But in some way if we have already experienced death (by dying every night and someone new waking up) we might realize there isn't anything to worry about. If you were to realize the you right now is going to die and be replaced by another you would you still try to fight it or would you just go with it?