Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I agree with all of this pretty much note for note. I love the change's from night to day, and the weather. It's very much stagnate, in that you can spend 12 hours playing one area and it's gonna be raining the whole time, but that's what sets like this do. And it looks great. I agree it's a little dark in spots, but it gives cause to use the flashlight. They've done some incredible stuff with the lighting in this game. Each Uncharted they always said they wanted to do one element to the nuts. The first was water. The second was fire. The third was sand. In this it seems like they went after lighting. The reflections you catch in windows is crazy.

I also <3 Ellie.

I have the same opinion on exploration as you. That 15 hour play time only holds if you're not digging through the perimeter of every set like I am looking for every scrap of goods. And I've also been burned running into a cut scene when I thought I was just looking around.

And you're right about the music. This is the best game soundtrack since Red Dead. It sets the tone perfectly. Sure it gives you a bit of a heads up about upcoming combat, but that's fine by me. If a musical cue causes me to crouch, then it's definitely doing it's job and then some.

I also had some gripes about the reaction of enemies. The choking out thing being soundless is weird. But so is it that I can't take a hard step but Ellie or whoever can run straight out in front of of them and still go stomping into hiding. But I'd rather have that than have the NPC AI blow my cover, or otherwise affect my gameplay. I suppose that was their simple solution. Once I got used to it, it's been fine.

As for scarcity of supplies, I sort of enjoy it. I'm also playing on Normal, and I'm further along than you, but I've always been a supply horder in games, so it hasn't been that bad for me. Only in one early sequence was I upset I didn't have more gear to use, and really had to skulk my way through and get away.

How is everyone handling upgrades? I'm nearing the end of the game I'm guessing, probably about 80% done. And I'm not near upgrading everything, and I've been pretty thourough in my cleaning out of areas. I've only been able to find the combo to one safe thus far though.
    Anyway, what choices are you guys making? I went health on Joel himself, and I'm working on the shiv. I've picked at the other stuff. I'm a ways in on the hearing, but I've all but skipped the crafting and healing speed upgrades.

On the other hand, the weapon upgrading I've been all over the place with. A little here and a little there. I started with both holsters at a steep 75 bits of tool, but they've been really valuable in switching weapons. Then I upgraded both pistols all the way. Since then I'm choosy, focusing on the shotgun, but the tool skill level closes you out pretty quick, so I wind up spending tool bits on other guns just to use them up because the benches are usually pretty spread out. In retrospect I sorta wished I'd saved my tool money to focus more on the weapons I really use, rather than doing the random rifle or bow upgrade at 15-25 bucks. That money would've added up by now and I coulda done bigger upgrades to the weapons I use more.

Either way I will be going through it a second time and maxing everything out anyway.
    I don't know if you'll believe it, but I was just about to write a post directed at you to ask how make safes you had been able to unlock. You've mentioned before how thorough you usually are when cleaning out areas, so I figured you would make for a good comparison. I only managed to open one as well [COLOR="White"](the one in the metro station)[/COLOR], and it frustrated the hell out of me not being able to open the additional 2 or 3 I've encountered afterwards. What about shiv doors, how many have you opened? I didn't keep exact count myself, but I know I opened three for sure, and a fourth one I'm not sure about. Training manuals? I've got four: [COLOR="White"]upgraded healing kits, upgraded shivs, upgraded melee weapons and upgraded molotovs.[/COLOR]

On the topic of upgrades, I made up my mind quite early in the game about what I wanted to spend pills on, so I saved every last one of them until I had enough. First thing was shiv master (one level), because clickers can be a pain in the ass. After that I went with weapon sway (one level), but I'm not sure it makes that big of a difference, to be honest. My third and last upgrade was increased health, which I got last night. Next one will probably be healing speed, because sometimes I've found myself badly injuried in the middle of a gunfight, and as I taking cover to heal myself, some bastard would come out of nowhere and kill me in the process.

As for weapons, I only managed to find two tool kits, so I'm pretty limited on what I can and cannot upgrade. I got both guns to full level one, with the automatic also level 2 in clip capacity. I (stupidly) put a scope and extended mag on the rifle, but I hardly ever use it anyway. [COLOR="White"]Not really a good weapon at all imo. Very loud, very low fire rate and not as powerful as one would think. I thought it would be almost a guaranteed one shot kill against unarmored enemies, but it's not the case unless it's a headshot.[/COLOR] The bow I do use all the time (well when I have arrows that is, which is not all that often), so I increased the range and drawing speed both to level one. What else...oh yes, both holsters (the pistol one was my first upgrade in the game and the other one I did last night I think), increased ammo and decreased recoil for the shotgun, and I think that's all. I'm pretty satisfied overall, although I could use some more ammo capatity and faster reload speed for the shotgun.

What a fantastic game, I can't wait to get out of work. One moment that impressed me a lot and gave me that "oooohhh shiiiiit" feeling was [COLOR="White"]when you're at the basement of the hotel and all the rats come down the corridor running away from something. [/COLOR]. [COLOR="White"]Another great part was the metro station. I found myself holding my breath a couple of times there. [/COLOR]So many memorable moments, and still plenty left for me.
    Last edited by Lebowsky; 06-18-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Best Game Ever, it officially surpassed Uncharted 2/3 for me and I'm the biggest Uncharted fan on the planet (along side my boy Thorpe). Me and Thorpe have identical taste in video games, it's incredible. I need to play Dead Space, since you really enjoyed those games. I still have not played it but I have the first two.

Anyways in-depth review I will write soon, just such a spectacular and mesmerizing game. The Hunt level with Ellie was breathtaking. I just love all the "quiet" periods in the game where I just get to see the characters develop. It is a hybrid between AAA game and an academy award winning movie.

I love you Naughty Dog, you are my favorite developers on the planets now. PLEASE deliver Uncharted 4, I miss my boy Drake!!

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    I don't know if you'll believe it, but I was just about to write a post directed at you to ask how make safes you had been able to unlock. You've mentioned before how thorough you usually are when cleaning out areas, so I figured you would make for a good comparison. I only managed to open one as well [COLOR="White"] - [/COLOR], and it frustrated the hell out of me not being able to open the additional 2 or 3 I've encountered afterwards. What about shiv doors, how many have you opened? I didn't keep exact count myself, but I know I opened three for sure, and a fourth one I'm not sure about. Training manuals? I've got four: [COLOR="White"] - .[/COLOR]

On the topic of upgrades, I made up my mind quite early in the game about what I wanted to spend pills on, so I saved every last one of them until I had enough. First thing was shiv master (one level), because clickers can be a pain in the ass. After that I went with weapon sway (one level), but I'm not sure it makes that big of a difference, to be honest. My third and last upgrade was increased health, which I got last night. Next one will probably be healing speed, because sometimes I've found myself badly injuried in the middle of a gunfight, and as I taking cover to heal myself, some bastard would come out of nowhere and kill me in the process.

As for weapons, I only managed to find two tool kits, so I'm pretty limited on what I can and cannot upgrade. I got both guns to full level one, with the automatic also level 2 in clip capacity. I (stupidly) put a scope and extended mag on the rifle, but I hardly ever use it anyway. [COLOR="White"] - .[/COLOR] The bow I do use all the time (well when I have arrows that is, which is not all that often), so I increased the range and drawing speed both to level one. What else...oh yes, both holsters (the pistol one was my first upgrade in the game and the other one I did last night I think), increased ammo and decreased recoil for the shotgun, and I think that's all. I'm pretty satisfied overall, although I could use some more ammo capatity and faster reload speed for the shotgun.

What a fantastic game, I can't wait to get out of work. One moment that impressed me a lot and gave me that "oooohhh shiiiiit" feeling was [COLOR="White"] - [/COLOR]. [COLOR="White"]Another great part was the metro station. I found myself holding my breath a couple of times there. [/COLOR] - .
    One of your favorite moments, and your safe, is the spot I've referred to as the spot I had to bail on:
    [COLOR="White"]The Metro Station - It was the first run in with a clicker. I was not flush with supplies, like shivs, as I am now. You are right, there was some deep breaths. That was the first spot I started getting flustered with Ellie and Tess too. I crawl at more than a whister and the thing comes and rips my face off ... but Ellie is stomping across from beam to beam freaking me out. Anyway, I skulked around, found the note regarding the safe, and as I continued to skulk around, I stumbled out of the set piece. I wasn't happy with my showing in there. I look forward to going back and shivving the hell out of all of those bastards. I couldn't even replay it because it saved right at the cutscene. [/COLOR]

I defintely made the concious choice to focus on the health first, then the shiv, and then the weapon sway. Although after the first upgrade to weapon sway I wasn't wildly impressed, and I decided to do more of the cheaper ones.
    I've found a ton of manuals. Health twice. A couple weapon ones.

Where are you in the game?

Being hurt I've done some binge sessioning over the weekend, and feel like I'm probably further along than most at this point, even though I play pretty slowly.

In Pittsburgh. [COLOR="White"]I saved right after the cutscene when you find the guy and his kid and decide to tag along with them.[/COLOR] I would've gone on and on, but it was almost 4 A.M. already. This game is messing up my sleeping patterns so badly...thank god I work US hours, so I don't have to wake up early in the morning.

What's everyone's favorite weapon btw? Mine is probably the bow. I'm big on stealth, so it's obviously the perfect choice. It is, however, quite hard to use. It took me a while to get decent with it, which lead to many a death since enemies react to the sound of missed arrows ricocheting. Now I can hit some pretty nice long range shots against moving targets, but there's still a significant chance of missing. Furthermore, arrows are way scarcer than other types of ammo, so every shot counts.

On an unrelated note, how's your recovery going?

In Pittsburgh. [COLOR="White"]I saved right after all The Starks die at The Red Wedding.[/COLOR] I would've gone on and on, but it was almost 4 A.M. already. This game is messing up my sleeping patterns so badly...thank god I work US hours, so I don't have to wake up early in the morning.

What's everyone's favorite weapon btw? Mine is probably the bow. I'm big on stealth, so it's obviously the perfect choice. It is, however, quite hard to use. It took me a while to get decent with it, which lead to many a death since enemies react to the sound of missed arrows ricocheting. Now I can hit some pretty nice long range shots against moving targets, but there's still a significant chance of missing. Furthermore, arrows are way scarcer than other types of ammo, so every shot counts.

On an unrelated note, how's your recovery going?

You've still got a little ways to go before you hit the safe that I got. And I have opened a ton of Shiv doors. I've made it a point to always have a shiv handy for that reason. They remind me of the power node doors in Dead Space. It's possible I've missed one, but I don't think so. I dug high and low for the safe combo by Bill and found nothing.

I'm healing alright. It's a horrible recoup. They also found a nasty blood clot a couple Fridays ago. That wasn't fun. It was like four weeks after the surgery and all of a sudden I'm looking for pain meds outta nowhere. It swelled up something fierce. I was put on some pretty hardcore blood thinners that first week. The word amputation was even tossed around a little more than I wanted to hear.
    But with that now under control, it's back to just the achilles. I've got another three weeks before I head back to orthopedist and we start working on rehab, stretching it out, and trying to get me back to normal. That process is sposeda be in 8-12 week range too. So I gotta long way to go still, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Thorpesaurous; 06-18-2013 at 12:48 PM.

You've still got a little ways to go before you hit the safe that I got. And I have opened a ton of Shiv doors. I've made it a point to always have a shiv handy for that reason. They remind me of the power node doors in Dead Space. It's possible I've missed one, but I don't think so. I dug high and low for the safe combo by Bill and found nothing.

I'm healing alright. It's a horrible recoup. They also found a nasty blood clot a couple Fridays ago. That wasn't fun. It was like four weeks after the surgery and all of a sudden I'm looking for pain meds outta nowhere. It swelled up something fierce. I was put on some pretty hardcore blood thinners that first week. The word amputation was even tossed around a little more than I wanted to hear.
    But with that now under control, it's back to just the achilles. I've got another three weeks before I head back to orthopedist and we start working on rehab, stretching it out, and trying to get me back to normal. That process is sposeda be in 8-12 week range too. So I gotta long way to go still, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for asking.
    Good to hear you're doing well and that blood clot incident ended up just fine. Convalescence is always the hardest part of the recovery process, keep your head up and stay strong. You know it gets much brighter once the physical therapy starts. At least videogames will keep you entertained for a while :) Anyway, best of luck to you.

You can't fully upgrade everything on one play through. Naughty Dog came out and said it'll take at least two play throughs, and maybe more to do it. And that's why they designed it so you could carry your weapons over when you play the game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    You can't fully upgrade everything on one play through. Naughty Dog came out and said it'll take at least two play throughs, and maybe more to do it. And that's why they designed it so you could carry your weapons over when you play the game again.
    Yeah, but I like their Plus addition.
    Meaning you can start a new game with the upgraded arsenal, which adds value, IMO.

I played on Normal and found the game somewhat difficult. Will start a fresh game on Hard, and then Survivor.

This is definitely a great game to do a walkthrough for.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by Rose

For me that's a huge motivation to play through a second time. I believe you can't play the plus version of the game on a difficulty higher than where you've already beaten it. Which means I'll still be motivated to press through again on the highest difficulty after beating it a second time to max out my weapons.

I can totally get three to four fullfilling playthroughs out of this game. Something motivated in part by it's relatively short play time that people thought would be a problem, and I find to be a strength to a degree.

Good to hear you're doing well and that blood clot incident ended up just fine. Convalescence is always the hardest part of the recovery process, keep your head up and stay strong. You know it gets much brighter once the physical therapy starts. At least videogames will keep you entertained for a while :) Anyway, best of luck to you.

Thanks a lot man.

Thanks a lot man.
    Yes bro, best of luck with your recovery.
    Achilles are the worst injuries man, huge rehabilitation process.

Wow, this thread is making me want to dust off my PS3 to play Uncharted 2 and Last of Us.

I DL'd Uncharted/Uncharted 2 over the winter but I only recently finished up Uncharted. The week I started playing I got the stomach flu so I ignored the game for a week and forgot I even had it. Finished Uncharted 1 last month and thought it was good but not great. Because of that I've been dragging my feet regarding Uncharted 2 but I'll have to make it a priority.

Last of Us seems like a great game top to bottom. I'm a big fan of games with a really compelling narrative and story to it.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

I'm about 2 hours into it. I'm liking it a lot. I'm not at the....I'm loving it stage yet. The mood and atmosphere of the game are great.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    I'm about 2 hours into it. I'm liking it a lot. I'm not at the....I'm loving it stage yet. The mood and atmosphere of the game are great.
    The game takes a while before it picks up. You're just going through the tutorial mostly and introductory stage. It will pick up, all Uncharted games were the same way.

Jail: U2 is substantially better then Drake's Fortune in every single area. I can put U2 in my system right now and have a blast, but Drake's Fortune won't have nearly the same effect on me.

I think U3 is my favorite game though...
    At first I didn't think it was even better then the first Uncharted but after all the patches came out and I played it more & more; I started to really love it. It's my favorite game of all-time; right there with San Andreas, RDR, Uncharted 2 & TLoU.