Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Connie Hawkins highlights:

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    You see a lot of the ABA players in him, Gervin, Doc, Mcginnis and Larry Kenon. All of whom had their own claim to fame but their styles all can be seen in the Hawk. Among the older guys in Harlem the Hawk had the earliest claim to street ball and Rucker Park. Great video.
    Special K is totally forgot. Not just mostly forgot like Hawk but totally forgot. He was terrific

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4Q1L3aDHs

found a new source for a few clips and added them - re-uploaded newer version

Hawkins is one of the best old-school players to watch. So smooth.

I love your video (nothing new there, they're always amazing) but I miss the Marvin Gaye soundtrack that accompanies someone else's Connie Hawkins video on YouTube. That's one of my favourites - the music matches it perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Hawkins is one of the best old-school players to watch. So smooth.

I love your video (nothing new there, they're always amazing) but I miss the Marvin Gaye soundtrack that accompanies someone else's Connie Hawkins video on YouTube. That's one of my favourites - the music matches it perfectly
    I don't KNOW anything about this.... but I suspect CAVS is avoiding the fate of a legendary youtube poster of Wilt Chamberlain films.... by staying away from using 40+ year old songs that some record executive insists is a copyright infringement.
    They must have that very last drop of blood even if that means they lick it off the pavement.

There are lower things on Planet Earth than record executives but you have to go to some mighty smelly places to find them. Fecal devouring bacteria is an apt description.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    I don't KNOW anything about this.... but I suspect CAVS is avoiding the fate of a legendary youtube poster of Wilt Chamberlain films.... by staying away from using 40+ year old songs that some record executive insists is a copyright infringement.
    They must have that very last drop of blood even if that means they lick it off the pavement.

There are lower things on Planet Earth than record executives but you have to go to some mighty smelly places to find them. Fecal devouring bacteria is an apt description.

NBA Superstar

I just finished Foul!, the book documenting Hawkins' life up until '71. I intentionally held off watching clips or looking up statistics until I completed the literature. It was great to see the story come to life in the video here. Were some/any of those clips from '70? That layup at 3:20 around Wilt looked like the one described in the book during their playoff series that year.

Either way, very good stuff here. Connie dropping 25, 10, and 5 in his first NBA season is none too shabby, even on a rickety knee.

NBA Superstar

And sorry for the double post, but for any fans of vintage footage, I thought this amateur floor cam from a 1970 Suns/Lakers regular season matchup was pretty freaking cool. Very nice quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omknPNShOOI

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    And sorry for the double post, but for any fans of vintage footage, I thought this amateur floor cam from a 1970 Suns/Lakers regular season matchup was pretty freaking cool. Very nice quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omknPNShOOI
    Elgin Baylor, Connie Hawkins gahh, footage like this is priceless even if it is only a few minutes of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    This has just about gotta be 1970.
    Mel Counts is playing the whole time at the C for the Lakers in that clip, and that would mean almost for certain it was the year Wilt Chamberlain was out with a season-ending knee injury... because 13 always played just about every minute. Also Wilt was a huge star so you would think a guy that had got a camera in to a game would have some footage of him.

Counts was Chamberlain's backup. Pretty much an average center, 7 footer who could run the floor some and get a few rebounds. He wasn't ever going to see an all-star game, but he was alright.

Also I'm calling it 1970 because that would have basically been Baylor's last season. He played in just 12 games in '71 and '72 and he didn't look anything like he does here. He looked about like Kobe Bryant did this season. There was a kind of a sad silence whenever he went in a game because it was..... well, like it was when Kobe went in this last season. Real bad.

James Worthy before there was a James Worthy.

Is there any ABL footage available of his?

Also of topic, would love videos on Maurice Stokes, Johnny Green? Is there footage of the Easter League with Hal Lear?

I usually hit open layups

whereas I think the music is pretty cool tho

As do I.

NBA Superstar

This has just about gotta be 1970.
    Mel Counts is playing the whole time at the C for the Lakers in that clip, and that would mean almost for certain it was the year Wilt Chamberlain was out with a season-ending knee injury... because 13 always played just about every minute. Also Wilt was a huge star so you would think a guy that had got a camera in to a game would have some footage of him.

Counts was Chamberlain's backup. Pretty much an average center, 7 footer who could run the floor some and get a few rebounds. He wasn't ever going to see an all-star game, but he was alright.

Also I'm calling it 1970 because that would have basically been Baylor's last season. He played in just 12 games in '71 and '72 and he didn't look anything like he does here. He looked about like Kobe Bryant did this season. There was a kind of a sad silence whenever he went in a game because it was..... well, like it was when Kobe went in this last season. Real bad.
    I think it was narrowed down to being early December of the 1969-70 regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Something you also have to keep in mind when watching the majority of those clips on Hawkins is that by the time he reached the NBA his knees were basically shot due to playing on poor surfaces and little medical attention in the prior decade or so.

The reason it's practically impossible to compare Hawkins to any sort of modern is that not only are his physical dimensions just unlike anything basketball has really seen before or since, but he also had an innate flair and creativity for the game coupled with a high basketball IQ (this is something that pros noticed about Hawkins playing against him when he was only 17). He really is one of the more unique basketball players to come through and basketball fans are lucky they got to witness even a little of him, even if it was probably in a diminished form from what he could've been.

Good post. It truly is a shame about The Hawk.....had he entered the NBA when he should have in '63 or '64 no doubt he would be looked on as one of the great legends of the game. He was a great player and a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Is there any ABL footage available of his?

Also of topic, would love videos on Maurice Stokes, Johnny Green? Is there footage of the Easter League with Hal Lear?

Yea.....Johnny Green............Jumpin' Johnny Green. Interesting how you NEVER hear anything about him. He played 14 years and his per 36 averages were over 18 ppg and 13 rpg. I used to listen to Royals games on the radio back in the late 60's when Jumpin' Johnny played for them. I remember the announcers saying he could take change off the top of the backboard. Hehe, not bad for a guy 6'5" or 6'6" IF it was true.