Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Default Re: Clippers and Wizards Had Trade Veto'd By Sterling At Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    bad veto. ariza is a champion, he was integral when the lakers won in 09. a lot more important than artest was the following year thats for sure. butler also has a ring with the mavs... but we know how much that means when he wasnt even playing for them due to injury

ariza is stinkin it up because look at the team he's on. id love him on the knicks, but instead of the arizas the knicks pick up ronnie brewers and jr smiths. put ariza on a contender... and he could be as big as he was for the lakers in their return to championship form. hes still young and athletic.
    He still helped them for half the regular season.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

NVM Ariza has a 1 year player option. So both technically are on the books for 1.5 more seasons, Butler at 8 mill, Ariza at 7. It's a neutral trade and it's a commonly known thing in sports that you only make a trade that makes you clearly better, this one isn't clear at all.

Clippers forum please, nobody gives a shit about a trade that DIDN'T even go through. There are tons of trades that didn't go through.

Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i
    He still helped them for half the regular season.
    oh definitely. he was good for them. but thats the thing, we can already say they won without him. but we can't say for sure that they undoubtedly still win the championship, if he doesn't get injured and plays. for instance, does marion still guard #6 on the heat as much if butler plays? the mavs beat the heat because of ball movement, im not sure if butler is good at that. does #6 remember all the times in the past he dominated the wizards in the playoffs in years past and a familiarity is there? yeah, im reaching

Quote Originally Posted by mjokc
    Clippers forum please, nobody gives a shit about a trade that DIDN'T even go through. There are tons of trades that didn't go through.
    We are having a good discussion in here, if you don't like the thread GTFO, nobody is making you stay .

Am I the only one who thought the title said "... Veto'd by Stern". I about fell off my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    NVM Ariza has a 1 year player option. So both technically are on the books for 1.5 more seasons, Butler at 8 mill, Ariza at 7. It's a neutral trade and it's a commonly known thing in sports that you only make a trade that makes you clearly better, this one isn't clear at all.
    it's a toss up because imo you can find a couple players on that clippers roster who will put up similar numbers given the opportunity, as Caron.

Caron>Trevor this year. People don't understand that while Caron is streaky in general nowadays he's been good the last month or more for the most part and his leadership and locker room presence is huge. He's one of our 3 main vets who keep guys in line along with CP3+Billups. Factor in that he's an unrestricted free agent this year and it's a no brainer. Sterling won the day.

BTW Butler is one of the best spot up shooters in the NBA this year, much better than Ariza I believe. A shooting chart should be available to verify this.

Again, he's playing on the Clippers and Ariza is on the Wizards. Before that he was on the Hornets.

Butler is a better shooter, but he stagnates the offense. He clutters up the floor. His defense is still pretty solid but it's not particularly good.

In straight basketball terms, the veto was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    it's a toss up because imo you can find a couple players on that clippers roster who will put up similar numbers given the opportunity, as Caron.
    Exactly. Toss up most likely = don't trade. Mainly for the reasons I specified. Butler is a huge part of our locker room and a leader who's constantly mentoring our guys along with Billups and CP3. When you bring in Ariza you lose those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Again, he's playing on the Clippers and Ariza is on the Wizards. Before that he was on the Hornets.

Butler is a better shooter, but he stagnates the offense. He clutters up the floor. His defense is still pretty solid but it's not particularly good.

In straight basketball terms, the veto was terrible.
    No doubt Ariza would thrive a lot more here... but it's STILL a neutral trade at best. Ariza isn't going to shoot nearly 40 percent from 3 even on the Clippers and his defense while slightly better, isn't going to make the difference. Basically you're trading a little defense for better midrange shooting and 3 point shooting. Not to mention the leadership/experience trade off I mentioned. In straight basketball terms it was a great veto IMO.

Am I the only one who thought the title said "... Veto'd by Stern". I about fell off my chair.
    Me too.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    oh definitely. he was good for them. but thats the thing, we can already say they won without him. but we can't say for sure that they undoubtedly still win the championship, if he doesn't get injured and plays. for instance, does marion still guard #6 on the heat as much if butler plays? the mavs beat the heat because of ball movement, im not sure if butler is good at that. does #6 remember all the times in the past he dominated the wizards in the playoffs in years past and a familiarity is there? yeah, im reaching
    Thats true, just saying he still helped them because since he played first half, Marion was more rested for the second half of season and playoffs.

But I agree completely.

Basically you're trading a little defense for better midrange shooting and 3 point shooting.
    You're trading away a guy who needs the ball to be effective and getting back one who doesn't. It's addition by subtraction. It'd be like the Bucks trading Monta Ellis for ... a box of Krispy Kremes. They'd improve.

Except you'd be getting back a guy who can both stay in front of Durant and put a hand in his face, which you don't currently have (unless Grant Hill is somehow in way greater shape than he has any right to be at 40).

Good High School Starter

ariza is literally one of the worst players in the league people are ****ing idiots if they think caron butler isnt better than that brickcity player

No doubt Ariza would thrive a lot more here... but it's STILL a neutral trade at best. Ariza isn't going to shoot nearly 40 percent from 3 even on the Clippers and his defense while slightly better, isn't going to make the difference. Basically you're trading a little defense for better midrange shooting and 3 point shooting. Not to mention the leadership/experience trade off I mentioned. In straight basketball terms it was a great veto IMO.
    Come play-off time, you'll be singing a different tune about defense.