Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Kevin Durant in the playoffs: 31.1 PPG, 9.5 Reb, 4.5 AST, 45.8% FG, 4.1 TO

His numbers seem good on the surface, but I don't see him impacting the game in ways that other players who put up similar numbers did. He IS playing 44 MPG, so his stats might be a little inflated. Per 36, he's 25/7.7/3.5, compared to LeBron per 36: 25.8/6.8/4.3 (56% FG though)

I felt like even prime Kobe had a much higher impact even playing as the second option on the Shaq/Kobe lakers. When he wasn't scoring, Kobe was a good passer, and also played solid perimeter defense. I can hardly notice Kevin Durant is playing unless he has the ball/taking a shot. I mean not to jack the term from Kobe stans, but he definitely plays within the flow of the game, and doesn't really have the ability to dictate tempo/play making or defense too. LeBron will often spark the teams energy w/ a steal or defensive play leading to a fast break and those plays change the energy of the whole game.

I guess what I'm really asking is if Durant's numbers are expressive of his actual impact on the floor or not.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Kevin Durant in the playoffs: 31.1 PPG, 9.5 Reb, 4.5 AST, 45.8% FG, 4.1 TO

0 impact outside of scoring.

He needs to work on his passing this offseason.

Also needs to eat more

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Kevin Durant in the playoffs: 31.1 PPG, 9.5 Reb, 4.5 AST, 45.8% FG, 4.1 TO

lol @ "even'' Kobe. Kobe is one of the best all-around players in history.

smh ignorant ass cheat fans.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

clear case where numbers can be deceiving. KD has not dominated like those numbers would suggest.

and yes, Kobe most certainly was a far better playmaker and defender... and I would attribute his impact for the 3-peat Lakers and that team's success as much to his playmaking and defensive ability, as his scoring. Even though at times his scoring outbursts put other teams in the grave.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

lower after tonight's game

-smak

Decent college freshman

45% shooting. No shame in that KD. Your worst shooting season would be a good year for Kobe.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Anybody who has actually watched the games can see that LeBron has been much better than KD in the playoffs.

"even" prime Kobe?

Good god this place is ridiculous sometimes.

lol @ "even" prime kobe.

so many retards on this forum.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

to be fair shaq kobe wasnt prime kobe

-smak

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    to be fair shaq kobe wasnt prime kobe

-smak
    2001 Kobe put up 29/7/6/2/1 on 56% TS, with elite perimeter defense.

Absolutely trashed the Spurs in the Conference Finals for 33/7/7/2/1 on 57% TS.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    "even" prime Kobe?

I'm not trying to talk shit on Kobe's all around game. I just think it's interesting that Kobe had a much stronger impact in the game even when Shaq is taking 25 shots in the paint a game. Imagine Durant in place of Kobe on the Lakers. They wouldn't have a good ability to set up other teammates, or play elite perimeter defense.

That's why I said "even prime Kobe w/ Shaq", and not just "even prime Kobe"... but there are some Thunder fans here who were trying to say Durant > prime Kobe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    "even" prime Kobe?

got worse when jan14 came robert-saw, magicman, starkerforlife and many more so stfu.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    I felt like even prime Kobe had a much higher impact even playing as the second option on the Shaq/Kobe lakers.
    Give Durant Shaq/Gasol and Phil Jackson and you'll also see this "higher impact" from him.

When he wasn't scoring, Kobe was a good passer, and also played solid perimeter defense.
    I agree that KD is an overrated defender(RAPM has him as a negative defender this year) but using Kobe as an example of a good defender? Kobe's been a negative defender for his entire career.

I can hardly notice Kevin Durant is playing unless he has the ball/taking a shot. I mean not to jack the term from Kobe stans, but he definitely plays within the flow of the game, and doesn't really have the ability to dictate tempo/play making or defense too.
    How come Kobe has been unable to play "within the flow of the game" without Phil Jackson? Couldn't adapt to a D'Antoni offense, or play defense under a Mike Brown system. Couldn't make the playoffs under Rudy Tomjanovich or Frank Hamblen. Was a horrible player when he played for Del Harris and Rambis. Kobe's doesn't understand how to adapt his game to suit other playing styles. He needs the triangle in order to be effective. A system player. Durant has not had the benefit of playing in a system at any point in his career.

To be fair he was referring to 3peat kobe, not his 06-08', 03' version (even tho 01 kobe was great). But yes durants numbers overstate what he's doing on the court. I don't want to say he's 1-dimensional because he has proved he is much more than that these past 2 seasons or so, but there are times when he isn't impacting the game enough when his shots aren't falling.