Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Default Re: Gordon Joins Deng on GB roster

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Your waaay off topic now. Every single team in the world wants to be the best at basketball. Where did I say we want to be the best? Sorry but it really irritates me when people make assumptions like you are! You are completely misunderstanding everything. Of course we aren't the best, and never will be. But we can give it a damn good go! That's what we call british spirit.

Good grief...

If you read my post PROPERLY next time, you will see I said the agenda for the British basketball programme is to 'perform well'. Nobody except YOU said about winning, which we will never do. Talk about irony..
    Finch said he was expecting to be in the fight for a medal in London,its not me saying it!For a team that has never qualified for the eurobasket I call that arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    Finch said he was expecting to be in the fight for a medal in London,its not me saying it!For a team that has never qualified for the eurobasket I call that arrogance.
    It's called self belief

You really expect GB to just go in half assed and not at least try? Pfft gimme a break..

Nothing wrong with setting goals is there? Maybe he is going a bit OTT I agree, but calling it arrogance is beyond belief

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    It's called self belief

You really expect GB to just go in half assed and not at least try? Pfft gimme a break..

Nothing wrong with setting goals is there? Maybe he is going a bit OTT I agree, but calling it arrogance is beyond belief
    You set goals granted.but to say they are going for a medal when they have never been to a major competition is arrogance.

Learning to shoot layups

Hi all, this is my first post!

On paper how will GB fair against, Israel, Bosnia, Czech Republic, & other top european nations if there starting 5 is something like this for Eurobasket A

PG: RICHARD MIDGELY
    SG: BEN GORDON
    SF: LUOL DENG
    PF: POPS MENSA BONSU/ROBERT ARCHIBALD
    C: ANDY BETTS

I know myself they will definately compete, but do you think they can beat the best?

[COLOR="Red"]SUPPORT TEAM GB SPREAD THE WORD[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by inaminute23
    Hi all, this is my first post!

On paper how will GB fair against, Israel, Bosnia, Czech Republic, & other top european nations if there starting 5 is something like this for Eurobasket A

PG: RICHARD MIDGELY
    SG: BEN GORDON
    SF: LUOL DENG
    PF: POPS MENSA BONSU/ROBERT ARCHIBALD
    C: ANDY BETTS

I know myself they will definately compete, but do you think they can beat the best?

They have a good chance against the teams you have mentioned as none are top teams in europe.I would say Israel would be the toughest,I personally think Israel are better.As for against Spain,Croatia,Greece,Russia,Lithuania etc they will struggle

Learning to shoot layups

Gordon is in the 27 man squad for Florida trainig camp in early August. As Chris Finch says, this is the strongest Squad GB has ever assembled. Good luck boys!!

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/05062008/...ing-squad.html

Gordon is in the 27 man squad for Florida trainig camp in early August. As Chris Finch says, this is the strongest Squad GB has ever assembled. Good luck boys!!

27 man? what the hell are they doing with 27 man? A league?

Learning to shoot layups

i think the squad is that big because he needs to start blooding a couple of the younger players in preparation for the 2012 olympics. An added plus is that the camp will be very competitive, with obviousley half the squad cut down at the end of it.

Are you from the UK Berraco?

Isnt it the only GB squad ever? as they have never taken part in the olympics and for european comps in the past they have as scotland,england etc.Anyway even if they have had GB teams in the past I am sure it wasn't difficult to get a better team!I think they'll have a good team and my country man Archibald is there so i wish them the best but Please, more realism,say that they want to have a good comp,but to come out and say that they have a chance of a medal is arrogance.

Learning to shoot layups

Looks like Gordon will definately play as long as his NBA contract is sorted out (insurance reasons).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sbbask110.xml

Good article i'd say.

Are you from the UK Berraco?
    Spanish.

I am Chris Wilcox

I hope we do well, but something just tells me won't. Just like every other sport.

Learning to shoot layups

I honestly think we will qualify! I don't think we will win the group but 2nd place will do me (be one of the best 3 runners up). When England last played Division A about 8 years back we were competitive then! We now have a far stronger squad. Our starting 5 back then was not bad, but there was very little coming off the bench. This years squad will have more options & hopefully can hang in especially if games become tight down the stretch. If we are to suceed i think it comes down 2 a couple of things.

1. We need to defend the perimeter well. Israel & co will no doubt have some of the best 3 point shooters around. However we were magnificent defensiveley last year & hopefully this will stand us in good stead.

2. we need to work on 3 point offense. Obviousley if Gordon does play that will take care of itself hopefully. If not though we still have shooting guards who can hit 45-50% 3 pointers on any given night.

It will be a tough task don't get me wrong but these guys now are more determined than ever to put the UK firmly on the basketball map!

I honestly think we will qualify! I don't think we will win the group but 2nd place will do me (be one of the best 3 runners up). When England last played Division A about 8 years back we were competitive then! We now have a far stronger squad. Our starting 5 back then was not bad, but there was very little coming off the bench. This years squad will have more options & hopefully can hang in especially if games become tight down the stretch. If we are to suceed i think it comes down 2 a couple of things.

1. We need to defend the perimeter well. Israel & co will no doubt have some of the best 3 point shooters around. However we were magnificent defensiveley last year & hopefully this will stand us in good stead.

2. we need to work on 3 point offense. Obviousley if Gordon does play that will take care of itself hopefully. If not though we still have shooting guards who can hit 45-50% 3 pointers on any given night.

It will be a tough task don't get me wrong but these guys now are more determined than ever to put the UK firmly on the basketball map!

England in division A 8 years ago??I cannot honestly remember england in the A division in the last 25 years!I could be wrong but I doubt it as I have always followed european basketball.In fact England qualified for the 1946 euro championship and played 2 and lost 2
    England 27 holland 48
    and England 11 france 65
    .1955 played 4 lost 4
    England 50 france 97
    England 44 poland 140
    Yugoslavia 98 England 53
    Austria 69 England 48.
    1961 played 3 lost 3
    Poland 78 England 34
    England 58 Yugoslavia 122
    Greece 78 England 43.
    1981 lost all 2 or 3 games played.
    In fact only british team ever to win a eurobasket game is scotland.
    they took part in 2 events.1951
    scotland 18 czechoslovakia 103.
    Belgium 87 Scotland 25
    Scotland 25 West Germany 69.
    Scotland 44 czechoslovakia 123
    Scotland 39 Yugoslavia 89
    Scotland 65 Albania 42.(only ever win by a british team)
    So all in all last time england played in division A championship i.e Eurobasket was 1981! not 8 years ago. looking at their history they have never been competitive.look at some of those scores,and thats prior 3 point shooting!

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Is mediazone going to broadcast the qualification tournament and the eurochampionships this summer