Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas charged with felony gun possession

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    what is the punishment for being found to have a gun without having a permit?
    I dunno but I'd bet that if you took some into your place of work (especially without a permit) you'd be fired. Or... lose your contract.

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 33teeth
    I dunno but I'd bet that if you took some into your place of work (especially without a permit) you'd be fired. Or... lose your contract.
    /Thread

This is stupid. Possessing an unloaded gun is not an immoral act, I don't care where you have it. It's illegal for a good reason, but the outrage you all are feigning over this is ridiculous. And the paranoia over guns I also don't understand. No matter how afriad of it you are, a gun can't shoot you without a bullet in it.

For Arenas to go to jail for this for years would be an outrage. An absolute outrage. As would anyone else going to jail for years for "GUN OWNERSHIP" as a first charge. It would be the only time I've ever rooted for the NRA, if this were to happen.

The "he brought into a place of work" is also bull****. It's a locker room, not an office. If you have a gun behind the counter in the post office, that's a problem. Having an unloaded one tucked away in your locker on the other hand is just... weird and inappropriate. But hardly deserving of jail time. Arenas didn't take this seriously because why the **** would he, he didn't do anything wrong. At the very most, give him a < 1 month to make a point.

Now about the Crittenton stuff... what's up with that? That could be bad. If he drew a gun on a teammate, that's serious. But not "felony gun possession." Give me a f*cking break.
    Last edited by Clifton; 01-15-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    This is stupid. Possessing an unloaded gun is not an immoral act, I don't care where you have it. It's illegal for a good reason, but the outrage you all are feigning over this is ridiculous. And the paranoia over guns I also don't understand. No matter how afriad of it you are, a gun can't shoot you without a bullet in it.

For Arenas to go to jail for this for years would be an outrage. An absolute outrage. As would anyone else going to jail for years for "GUN OWNERSHIP" as a first charge. It would be the only time I've ever rooted for the NRA, if this were to happen.

The "he brought into a place of work" is also bull****. It's a locker room, not an office. If you have a gun behind the counter in the post office, that's a problem. Having an unloaded one tucked away in your locker on the other hand is just... weird and inappropriate. But hardly deserving of jail time. Arenas didn't take this seriously because why the **** would he, he didn't do anything wrong. At the very most, give him a < 1 month to make a point.

Now about the Crittenton stuff... what's up with that? That could be bad. If he drew a gun on a teammate, that's serious. But not "felony gun possession." Give me a f*cking break.

Does Gilbert Arenas get a paycheck?
    Yes.

Did Gilbert Arenas take firearms to his place of employment?
    Yes.

btw, a construction site isn't an office either, but its still an area where work takes place. McDonalds isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place. A lawn isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place.

The building where Gilbert plays basketball,

is where his work takes place.

Super Handsome East River Livn''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    would be a sweet pick up for the lakes.
    Lakers need Arenas like they needed Isiah Rider and Dennis Rodman.

Gotta love all these people comparing NBA players to regular people like they have the same consequences as we do. News flash....for the most part they don't.

We'll see what happens with his contract, though. I still don't believe that they will be able to void it. After his plea deal, give this guy a huge fine and sit him some more. No need for jail time IMO.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    No, I get it. And Arenas should be punished for not obtaining a proper license. We get that. But you think he should be charged with a felony and go to jail for years for it? I don't.

No one was hurt. No one was threatened. No one was in any danger. The guns weren't loaded. Isn't that what we care about most?
    Carelessness with guns is completely serious and should be punished. The world (or actually, just America) would be a much safer, nicer place if guns weren't so easily available.

Yes, nobody got hurt but things oculd have escalated. WHat if Crittenton was a bit crazy like Stephen Jackson? What if Crittenton was is a manic depressive person? He may have snapped and actually used the guns. What if an innocentWizard get shot because of this?

It sounds like a lot of "what ifs" but the fact is, you don't joke around with guns or anything that serious. You just don't. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to guns.

It IS a serious problem. Try watching the news everynight in America. It makes me sick. Gun is the last thing anyone should be joking about.

FINALLY, someone gets what I was trying to say.

If you want to get the message to Arenas, give him a month of jail time. Think about a full month in jail. Trust me, he'll avoid breaking the law ever again. And even THAT is ALOT of punishment.

But two years? three years? Insanity.......

Dunking on everybody in the park spree43's Avatar

Just a question, how many work places (moreso jobs they are linked to) have guarenteed contracts

You can''t just fire an NBA player because you arent happy with his performance or he makes a mistake

That is the difference

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    choking PJ is not the same as a felony conviction. The morals clause clearly covers this and the players union can go to hell. The union was designed to protect the innocent from the bully boss not the stupid guilty from being correctly fired.
    This isn't true.

I could be stated in the contract, it probably is, and that would give the NBA the right to void Arenas' contract. True.

But.

If it goes to court, and it will if the NBA follows through, the court will take a new look at the validity of this. That both parties signed on something does not mean that it is absolute.
    The court will take into consideration that Arenas will not do any jail time for instance, that this felony conviction will not incapacitate him to do his job. Not significantly anyway.

It's also pretty clear that if the Wizards were to void his contract, the biggest reason is not the morals aspect. The biggest reason is i the amount of money they can get back for a player that isn't worth nearly that amount anymore.
    In court this will be considered as well, and this is hugely in favor of Arenas.

Personally I'm thinking if they try to void it's not going to hold up.

Dunking on everybody in the park spree43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    This isn't true.

I could be stated in the contract, it probably is, and that would give the NBA the right to void Arenas' contract. True.

But.

If it goes to court, and it will if the NBA follows through, the court will take a new look at the validity of this. That both parties signed on something does not mean that it is absolute.
    The court will take into consideration that Arenas will not do any jail time for instance, that this felony conviction will not incapacitate him to do his job. Not significantly anyway.

It's also pretty clear that if the Wizards were to void his contract, the biggest reason is not the morals aspect. The biggest reason is i the amount of money they can get back for a player that isn't worth nearly that amount anymore.
    In court this will be considered as well, and this is hugely in favor of Arenas.

Personally I'm thinking if they try to void it's not going to hold up.
    Agreed, the Wizards should be doing all they can to help Arenas, they aren't and this doesnt look good

Its pretty obvious why they want to void the contract and I'm pretty sure it isnt a valid reason

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

I do agree that the outrage is a little silly. But he clearly broke both the law and the nba CBA. If you dont like it, work on changing the laws in DC (which has some of the toughest gun laws in the country). For a guy like GA, who has enough money to build a million $ pool (or whatever), to not bother to call a lawyer to figure out the proper and legal way to possess a gun in DC is just idiotic. There is a huge network of gun advocates who can help you figure out how to legally own guns where you live.

Hes a moron and he broke the law. He should expect the same treatment as anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    No, I get it. And Arenas should be punished for not obtaining a proper license. We get that. But you think he should be charged with a felony and go to jail for years for it? I don't.

No one was hurt. No one was threatened. No one was in any danger. The guns weren't loaded. Isn't that what we care about most?
    Sorry, BREAKING NEWS! the penalty for not having your gun properly licensed is a felony (in DC). so, if he should be punished, but not charged with the felony that was specifically set up for this, what? He should be outside the law?
    Last edited by boozehound; 01-15-2010 at 11:43 AM.

but he didnt just have the guns in his locked locker (if he had, no one would have ever known about it. Its obvious, based on crit's quick response, that a lot of nba players probably carry in the arenas - discretely).

He took 4 guns (which may have been loaded for all crit knew) and placed them in his cubicle, in public view. That could be construed as a direct threat to crit. and is obviously potentially dangerous.

Hes a moron and he deserves whats coming to him (which wont be much anyways).

as for the voiding of the contract not holding up in court, thats nonsense. The only reason the contracts are fully guaranteed is because of the cba. It will go to arbitration, not a court, and the cba clause will be upheld.

One last thing and then Im pretty much done on the topic.
    I keep seeing quotes in the media that he didnt know it was illegal. Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Hes obviously a very poorly educated and trained gun owner (like a lot of people who have gold plated desert eagles, guns are about fitting an image for him). I saw somewhere that he owns "hundreds" of guns, yet he cant take the time out to figure out the proper way to register them? make one phone call and get a lackey to do it for you.

**** him, its people like him who make gun owners look bad (along with all the gunshow dealers who sell semi-auto arms to mexican cartels with no background checks).