Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Why aren't I getting better?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    He's saying drills are a waste of time when you're too old and you should just be contented on how you play with no aims of getting better.

Do it for yourself, it feels so rewarding when you get complimented in the courts saying that you have improved a lot. Heck doing drills is even better than just staring at the computer all day, playing games etc

Just make sure you have other things in your life going on - work, relationships, education. It's all about balance.
    In order to Make improvements you need a mix of skill work and games. At 25 you should be building your career and setting the foundation for your life. Where does putting in 90 minutes doing skill work multiple times per week + games + lifting fit into the greater scheme of things. Improving in a sport to the point of being good takes a lot of time. Working on skill drills so people compliment you on a ball court would be weird. Honestly, I'd laugh at any 25 year old 5"7 dude running through drills by himself at the park.

Guess it comes down to the fact that I see no benefit from this activity. I think you are weird for wanting to do skill work at 25. This is coming from a former gym rat as well. Do something productive with that extra time.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    In order to Make improvements you need a mix of skill work and games. At 25 you should be building your career and setting the foundation for your life. Where does putting in 90 minutes doing skill work multiple times per week + games + lifting fit into the greater scheme of things. Improving in a sport to the point of being good takes a lot of time. Working on skill drills so people compliment you on a ball court would be weird. Honestly, I'd laugh at any 25 year old 5"7 dude running through drills by himself at the park.

Guess it comes down to the fact that I see no benefit from this activity. I think you are weird for wanting to do skill work at 25. This is coming from a former gym rat as well. Do something productive with that extra time.
    Doesn't matter what you do you need to exercise. You could spend all day at work, go home and sit in your nice house and watch tv, go to bed and get up and do it all over again but what does that do for you? Health>money

Yea we see a lot of benefits, thats is the difference. Also, its not like he is devoting a lot of time doing this drills, just when you have some extra time here and there.
    Last edited by Jyap9675; 11-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

Well... most people spend several hours a day in front of the tv or the computer, and they still work 40+ hours a day, have social lives, etc. So it's an even better ambition to become disciplined in a productive activity like sports, exercise, etc. It's a much better investment than just being a parasite to other mindless distractions. There's more than enough time in a day to really focus in an important aspect of your life such as building up your body.

you sound like a bitch

NBA Superstar

all very true. no point in really practicing basketball anymore. More important things in life to focus on at that age

good for them. Point is he should just find games on his level and have fun there. There is no point of doing drills by yourself at age 25. That is just a waste of time. There is no reward.
    I will have to disagree with the notion that there's never a point in practicing basketball at age 25. Playing basketball and improving my game is one of my favorite free-time activities. It's how I enjoy spending a lot of my non-work hours.

I have to wonder though, what are the more important things in life to focus on at that age? I apologize if I looked past it, but was there an indication that the original poster is planning on working on his game in lieu of having a job and paying bills? If so, I agree, surviving should come first. However, if work is in order, practicing basketball seems to be a perfectly healthy way to spend one's free time. In my personal regard, I take comfort in knowing that my basketball playing and practice results in improved self-confidence and overall health. As a bonus, I love doing it. Where's the downside?

As for finding games on one's own level and just having fun, I can't argue with that. There's nothing wrong with going that route either. However for me, at this point, half the fun is discovering new ways to get things done on the court. This often means practicing new moves and implementing them into games. My skill level and ability (and athleticism) at age 28 greatly eclipses my abilities at age 18, and it's been nothing but fun making that jump.

Of all the crappy things we all do in our free time: playing video games, watching TV, watching movies, chilling on the couch drinking beer, posting on internet message boards, practicing basketball seems like one of the few things that actually seems worthwhile.

As mentioned prior, many of us are thankfully allotted a daily amount of free time outside of their jobs. By around 6pm most nights, I'm home free. As such, there's a nice little chunk of time between 6pm and 11pm every night where I can often choose what I want to do. Since I don't have any kids, I enjoy being healthy and in shape and I love basketball, I'll often use some of that free time to lift, run, practice, or play. I personally haven't noticed anyone laughing about me working on my game, but if they did, I'd be prepared to handle it. Performing favorably against high level opponents is a lot more satisfying than correctly guessing the Daily Double on that evening's Jeopardy, which is likely what I'd be doing between 6:30 and 7:30 if I weren't playing ball.

I suppose it depends on one's own personal life view. I think life should be comprised by doing what we love when we're afforded the opportunity. If someone has the time and that's what they enjoy doing, why wouldn't they do it?
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-08-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I will have to disagree with the notion that there's never a point in practicing basketball at age 25. Playing basketball and improving my game is one of my favorite free-time activities. It's how I enjoy spending a lot of my non-work hours.

I have to wonder though, what are the more important things in life to focus on at that age? I apologize if I looked past it, but was there an indication that the original poster is planning on working on his game in lieu of having a job and paying bills? If so, I agree, surviving should come first. However, if work is in order, practicing basketball seems to be a perfectly healthy way to spend one's free time. In my personal regard, I take comfort in knowing that my basketball playing and practice results in improved self-confidence and overall health. As a bonus, I love doing it. Where's the downside?

As for finding games on one's own level and just having fun, I can't argue with that. There's nothing wrong with going that route either. However for me, at this point, half the fun is discovering new ways to get things done on the court. This often means practicing new moves and implementing them into games. My skill level and ability (and athleticism) at age 28 greatly eclipses my abilities at age 18, and it's been nothing but fun making that jump.

Of all the crappy things we all do in our free time: playing video games, watching TV, watching movies, chilling on the couch drinking beer, posting on internet message boards, practicing basketball seems like one of the few things that actually seems worthwhile.

As mentioned prior, many of us are thankfully allotted a daily amount of free time outside of their jobs. By around 6pm most nights, I'm home free. As such, there's a nice little chunk of time between 6pm and 11pm every night where I can often choose what I want to do. Since I don't have any kids, I enjoy being healthy and in shape and I love basketball, I'll often use some of that free time to lift, run, practice, or play. I personally haven't noticed anyone laughing about me working on my game, but if they did, I'd be prepared to handle it. Performing favorably against high level opponents is a lot more satisfying than correctly guessing the Daily Double on that evening's Jeopardy, which is likely what I'd be doing between 6:30 and 7:30 if I weren't playing ball.

I suppose it depends on one's own personal life view. I think life should be comprised by doing what we love when we're afforded the opportunity. If someone has the time and that's what they enjoy doing, why wouldn't they do it?
    I have only said that I don't understand skill work at that age. I guess I come from a different perspective than many of you on here. I've already put in the skill work to build a game(that is how I paid for my college education). Nothing is really needed. It is hard for me to actually find good competition outside of leagues. So maybe for someone who doesn't have a game yet a little bit of skill work could help. But I know how much skill work it takes to be really really good and that combined with playing games doesn't make sense in my point of view. However, if it makes you feel good than more power to you.

Personally, when I play basketball I'm at the courts running games for 2.5 hours. I couldn't imagine doing that and then doing skill work on top of that. Then you add in lifting etc. Seems like a lot of work to put into basketball. But again, if it makes you feel better to go from bum to average than good for you.

But, if you self confidence is tied to your jumpshot than is just odd. But again more power to you. I don't knock anyone for playing ball. I just think actively focusing on improving as a player is a little much. I mean I'll shoot some before games to get in rhythm but the idea of heading to a gym ONLY to put in skill work is crazy to me.

NBA Superstar

I think it might help to understand or remember that everyone comes from a different environment with different circumstances.

I have only said that I don't understand skill work at that age. I guess I come from a different perspective than many of you on here. I've already put in the skill work to build a game(that is how I paid for my college education). Nothing is really needed.
    I think a lot of us have already put in a lot of skill work, we're just not as satisfied with where we stand as you seem to be. Personally, if I ever got to the point where I felt like there was nothing else I could improve upon, basketball would lose a lot of its fun and purpose. I was a college level ball player at 18, I was better at 20, more so at age 23 , so on and so forth.

At some point, I know my athleticism will begin to wane, but it won't stop me from finding other aspects of the game I could still improve upon. It's fascinating to add new dimensions to my game or improve ones that already existed. And what I've found through the years is a lot of times, improvement can come in games, but sometimes true progress comes from a little pre-planning and pre-work. Could I just randomly decide to start doing Kobe's reverse pivot during pick-up games? Yes. But would it help to work a little bit on my own on the steps and finish? Absolutely.

It is hard for me to actually find good competition outside of leagues. So maybe for someone who doesn't have a game yet a little bit of skill work could help. But I know how much skill work it takes to be really really good and that combined with playing games doesn't make sense in my point of view. However, if it makes you feel good than more power to you.
    I don't discriminate too much with my competition. Sometimes it can be tough to find opponents on my level, but I can live with that. If I do play against folks at or above my level, it's fun. And if my opponents aren't quite on my level, I still enjoy it.

And you're right, it does take a lot of skill work to be really, really good. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I don't always have pick-up games readily accessible to me every day of the week, particularly in the winter months, so there's a lot of open time to work on one's game and attempt to work toward mastering certain aspects. Sometimes, in the winter doldrums, putting up 600 shots or working on my ball handling is the most basketball I can put in for a day. Perhaps I lift alongside, or run but again, the basketball often serves as a piece of the general idea of staying in shape and fit, so that's why it makes sense. I'd rather get my exercise by working on basketball than mindlessly running laps around the gym.

Personally, when I play basketball I'm at the courts running games for 2.5 hours. I couldn't imagine doing that and then doing skill work on top of that. Then you add in lifting etc. Seems like a lot of work to put into basketball. But again, if it makes you feel better to go from bum to average than good for you.
    Again, playing basketball games for 2.5 hours every day is not realistically possible for a lot of us. In the summer, it becomes a lot more possible, but still not a certainty. But living in the midwest, 2.5 hours of competition and games in a mid-sized town just isn't there in winter. There's even times in the summer when people just don't show up, or only for a certain period of time. I think it's helpful to remember that not everyone lives in a basketball hot bed where games are a certainty 365 days a year.

Moreover, I'm not sure it's just about going from bum to average. As I mentioned earlier, I certainly think it's possible for good players and great players to continue improving as time goes on. I am not familiar with your level of basketball so I cannot speak for you, but I'd reckon to say even pro basketball players continue improving as they age, as well as any level of ballplayer below them, and it doesn't take playing ball for a living to make many of those improvements.

But, if you self confidence is tied to your jumpshot than is just odd. But again more power to you. I don't knock anyone for playing ball. I just think actively focusing on improving as a player is a little much. I mean I'll shoot some before games to get in rhythm but the idea of heading to a gym ONLY to put in skill work is crazy to me.
    It is my belief that self-confidence is tied to a lot of the things we do. I would agree things might be askew if someone's entire sense of self worth were tied to their jumper, but I don't think anyone's suggesting that here. I just haven't a doubt in my mind that often, when someone becomes skilled or talented in a certain arena, it feels good, and it feeds the ego to some respect. If I was a boss at Scrabble, and my friends knew that, that'd make me feel good. If I cooked a mean batch of french toast, that'd make me feel good. It's similar with basketball. Knowing the work I put in has paid off in me being able to perform well is something I enjoy doing, that feels good.

I respect your manner of playing ball (shooting a few warm up jumpers then diving in). You are certainly not alone in that regard. But I'm taken a little aback by the idea of not being able to understand why other people may want to improve their games. We do so because it's fun and it's neat to get better, even if we were a college level athlete prior.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

It is my belief that self-confidence is tied to a lot of the things we do. I would agree things might be askew if someone's entire sense of self worth were tied to their jumper, but I don't think anyone's suggesting that here. I just haven't a doubt in my mind that often, when someone becomes skilled or talented in a certain arena, it feels good, and it feeds the ego to some respect. If I was a boss at Scrabble, and my friends knew that, that'd make me feel good. If I cooked a mean batch of french toast, that'd make me feels good. It's similar with basketball. Knowing the work I put in has paid off in me being able to perform well is something I enjoy doing, that feels good.
    I don't even know if its self confidence but it makes you feel good for working on something and getting better at it. I never really played basketball but I competed in power lifting in and after college then mountain biking and for the last few years I've been playing and coaching basketball. I gives me something to work for and a release from work. It's definitely not my life but its a nice break from it

Why tell a guy he shouldn't improve?

Michael Jordan took up baseball in 1994 at age 31.

Ok when was 25 OLD. A 25 year old is still consider young, my goodness, if you compare an athlete at that age then yes but a 25 year old working man is still young by any standards.

Dude just look for some vids about what you think you need to improve. If you think your dribbling still sucks then look for some drills and do that.