Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I sense a Duncan bias.

Same question was thrown out there when Lebron James was drafted. Yet somehow i doubt anyone would trade Bron for any established player in the NBA. Duncan included. But whatever.
    I'd take LeBron over Oden.

And I don't know if I would trade Oden for Duncan. Duncan produces rings, but what about the team surrounding him? Coaching? Those elements have to be there, IMO.

There is no Duncan bias other than the fact that I don't see Oden ever being as good as Duncan. But that isn't the argument. I like Oden as a player. I was for OSU all the way in the tourney. Picked them in my bracket. Everyone else down here was all about UNC or Florida. I think he's a monster, but I'm questioning his fire.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I think a point that many aren't considering is, would Tim Duncan be willing to play the teacher role? I know he was kind of a douche toward Tony Parker during Parker's first year so I don't know.

However, if Duncan would be a willing teacher you have to also remember that the Blazer's already have LaMarcus Aldridge. Having him learn from Duncan might be worth parting with Oden.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    I'd take LeBron over Oden.

And I don't know if I would trade Oden for Duncan. Duncan produces rings, but what about the team surrounding him? Coaching? Those elements have to be there, IMO.

There is no Duncan bias other than the fact that I don't see Oden ever being as good as Duncan. But that isn't the argument. I like Oden as a player. I was for OSU all the way in the tourney. Picked them in my bracket. Everyone else down here was all about UNC or Florida. I think he's a monster, but I'm questioning his fire.
    Questioning his fire on what basis? Cant judge a book by its cover because the player named Duncan looks like you could bytch slap him with a roll of pennies and he wouldnt be moved. Unless the ref didnt blow a whistle of course.

Questioning his fire on what basis? Cant judge a book by its cover because the player named Duncan looks like you could bytch slap him with a roll of pennies and he wouldnt be moved. Unless the ref didnt blow a whistle of course.
    That's just it. That's all I have against Oden. He seems like he is too nice. Just like Duncan and just like Yao.

But Duncan had the complete skill set to make up for it.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

depends on my team. IF i want to win now (say Im the pistons or PHX,etc - a team on the cusp) then I absolutely do. If Im the bobcats or portland, probably not.

That's just it. That's all I have against Oden. He seems like he is too nice. Just like Duncan and just like Yao.

But Duncan had the complete skill set to make up for it.
    Yeah but Duncan skills were also developed. He wasnt Tim Duncan at age 19 either. But he does seem too nice personality wise. Reminds me of Drob. But watching him actually perform at OSU I didnt get that sense. Eh, hopefully his personality isnt something that conflicts his game/attitude on the court.

Yeah but Duncan skills were also developed. He wasnt Tim Duncan at age 19 either. But he does seem too nice personality wise. Reminds me of Drob. But watching him actually perform at OSU I didnt get that sense. Eh, hopefully his personality isnt something that conflicts his game/attitude on the court.
    Well, I think Oden will be more on the Alonzo Mourning path as a player. Should be interesting to see.

I just can't put Oden in that "rarefied air" category. Since '85, only four players go in that category: Jordan, O'Neal, Duncan, and James. Could Oden be the fifth? Maybe. I just don't see it. I still think he has a HOF career and maybe a ring or two ahead of him.

Well, I think Oden will be more on the Alonzo Mourning path as a player. Should be interesting to see.

I just can't put Oden in that "rarefied air" category. Since '85, only four players go in that category: Jordan, O'Neal, Duncan, and James. Could Oden be the fifth? Maybe. I just don't see it. I still think he has a HOF career and maybe a ring or two ahead of him.
    I agree.

I don't think Oden will have the career Duncan has had, but I wouldn't trade him for TD either mainly because I'd rather have 15 good years from my center then 4-5 GREAT years. Especially since the team that trades for TD will be young and won't have the experience to win a title right away anyways, with Oden they have time to grow and learn.

I just can't put Oden in that "rarefied air" category. Since '85, only four players go in that category: Jordan, O'Neal, Duncan, and James.
    How the hell are you going to name LeBron and not mention players like Hakeem, Kobe or even Pippen...you give LeBron way too much credit, he is NOT better then Hakeem or Kobe, and might never be as good as them...like I said before, how the hell has LeBron improved over last season? To me he declined slightly, the only real hype I heard of him this season is the fact he managed to bring his team to the finals in a weak ass eastern conference.

I think he's already at his climax, if not...he ain't far from it, he isn't a great defender...he will never make a 1st team All-Defense...I just find it amusing you would bring his name and not mention someone like Hakeem or Kobe. One is arguably the most talented big man in history of this game and the other is a player who can play both sides of the court and is ARGUABLY the greatest scorer to ever play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    How the hell are you going to name LeBron and not mention players like Hakeem, Kobe or even Pippen...you give LeBron way too much credit, he is NOT better then Hakeem or Kobe, and might never be as good as them...like I said before, how the hell has LeBron improved over last season? To me he declined slightly, the only real hype I heard of him this season is the fact he managed to bring his team to the finals in a weak ass eastern conference.

I think he's already at his climax, if not...he ain't far from it, he isn't a great defender...he will never make a 1st team All-Defense...I just find it amusing you would bring his name and not mention someone like Hakeem or Kobe. One is arguably the most talented big man in history of this game and the other is a player who can play both sides of the court and is ARGUABLY the greatest scorer to ever play this game.
    Hakeem only lead his team to [COLOR="Red"]a championship[/COLOR] twice.........when Jordan was retired. Keep in mind, this is a Rockets fan speaking.

Pippen? What did he do without Jordan?

Kobe? What has he done without Shaq?

"Rarefied air" is being unstoppable. Duncan has 4 rings. Shaq has 4 rings. Jordan has 6 rings (maybe could have had a couple more). I am being a bit presumptuous by putting LeBron in that so fast, but I'd say he has a claim seeing as how he's only 22 and has already led his team to the NBA Finals. You can get me on the LeBron, but that doesn't mean that Hakeem, Kobe, or Pippen belong in the same category as Jordan, O'Neal, and Duncan.

*[COLOR="Red"]EDIT[/COLOR]
    Last edited by fatboy11; 06-10-2007 at 07:03 PM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I question Oden's "fire" also.

Dude is meek. He's very Yao Ming-ish to me. I would not be shocked if in three years I'm reading an article detailing Oden having a training session with Hakeem Olajuwon were the theme of the entire workout is "You should be dominating".

He did not dominate a single game in college. Not one. Before you even bring up the Championship game go watch it again. You'll see that while it far and away the best game of Oden's life he didn't dominante.

Oden's doesn't have the fire needed to be an all timer to me. He looks on the verge of becoming a shrinking violet when players similar to him in build/athleticism/skill go aggressively at him.

I do think he'll be good but I really do not see him becoming the world beater everyone is expecting. Alonzo Mourning with better size at the very best.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Alonzo Mourning with better size.
    I think that would be dominant enough.

Zo was a multiple DPOY winner, all star and MVP candidate, 3 inches on top of that would make him at least as good as Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedy Central
    I think that would be dominant enough.

Zo was a multiple DPOY winner, all star and MVP candidate, 3 inches on top of that would make him at least as good as Duncan.
    You can be serious?

Can you?

Not airballing my layups anymore J-Roc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
    Yeah but are they all in Portland and more so, are they just solid, good or are they great. Because Duncan has probably 3 more of great and MVP and a couple more after that where he isnt what he was but still merits a double and impacts the game. Will Oden ever do that is a realistic question?
    We'll see... Not in his first years but I think he can do the same as Duncan...