Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 50 Music Cities in 50 Days

[FONT=Garamond]In this thread, I will delve into the music contributions of various cities across the globe. I will list native sons and daughters of the locales, and provide links, and bio information where applicable.

City #1: Memphis, Tennessee

Contributions:
    Stax Soul
    Crunk
    Proto-Rock
    Rock N' Roll
    Country

Memphis has a very varied musical history. It first gained renown for Delta Blues. WC Handy, Memphian is credited with taking blues from a little-known regional style, to being one of the most important forces in the history of American music.

Delta Blues Men like Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker, and BB King all refined their craft in and around the famous Beale Street.

Memphis was also the petri dish where artists like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash honed their skill under the guidance of Steve Philips at Sun Records.

Stax Records brought the world the musical stylings of Isaac Hayes, Booker T and the MGs, The Staples Singers, Sam and Dave, and a host of others.

Soul men and women have long called Memphis home. Al Green, Otis Redding, and Aretha Franklin are the most famous of their number.

Southern rap pioneers 8-Ball and MJG called Memphis' Orange Mound neighborhood home, and it served as a inspiration for their very influential work.

Crunk was created in the clubs of Memphis. Hynotyze Camp/Three Six Mafia refined a bass heavy, uptempo style that replaced house as the biggest influence in Southern Hip Hop.

Luminaries:
    BB King-The Thrill is Gone
    Elvis Presley-Hound Dog
    Johnny Cash-Walk The Line
    Hypnotize Camp/Three Six Mafia-Tear Da Club Up 97'
    Isaac Hayes-Theme From Shaft
    The BarKays-Holy Ghost
    Bobby Blue Bland-Aint No Love in the Heart of The City
    Steve Cropper-Green Onions
    8-Ball and MJG-Coming Out Hard
    Aretha Franklin-I Say A Little Prayer
    Al Green-Let's Stay Together
    W.C Handy-*Memphis Blues
    John Lee Hooker-Boom Boom Boom
    Howlin Wolf-Little Red Rooster
    Booker T. Jones-Green Onions
    Jerry Lee Lewis-Great Balls of Fire
    Otis Redding-The Dock of the Bay
    Charlie Rich-Most Beautiful Girl
    Sam And Dave-Hold On
    Ike Turner-Proud Mary
    Rufus and Carla Thomas-BABY

3 Albums You Should Own:

[/FONT]
    Last edited by Dasher; 11-11-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: 50 Music Cities in 50 Days

[FONT=Garamond]City #2 Oakland , California

Oakland, California's music history is rivaled by few cities in the world. It's hip hop imprint alone is enough for it to hold it's own with other music capitals. Rappers who are native to or called Oakland home:2pac, E-40, MC Hammer, Del the Funky Homosapien, ICE Cube, The Hieroglyphics Crew, Too $hort, Mac Dre, Richie Rich, Yukmouth, The Coup, and Digital Underground. I am sure I am leaving some artists out, and that in itself is testament to the depth and diversity of the Oakland hip hop scene.

Soul and Funk music has a strong presence in The Bay, Sly Stone an Oakland native, his pioneering funk greatly influence Motown. Songs like The Temptations-Cloud 9 were made as an answer to the popularity of his work. Tony! Toni! Tone! and The Tower of Power were formed in Oakland. Raphael Saadiq(TTT) and Lenny Williams(TOP) have had solo sucess after splitting from thier respective groups. Underrated songstress Goapele calls the city home. Hardship survivor R&B and reality TV star Keyshia Cole came up the hard way in Oaktown.

The core of Green Day is also from The Bay.

Latin percussion has also found a home in Oakland. Father and daughter Pete Escoved and Sheila E. have gone on to great success.

Oakland also has a great deal of classical music history, but I will not pretend to be an expert on that genre. If you are interested wiki is your friend.

Luminaries include:
    E-40-Sprinkle Me
    Too $hort-**** Tales
    2Pac-Changes
    Digital Underground-Same Song w/2Pac
    Tower of Power-What is Hip
    Lenny Williams-Cause I Love You
    Del the Funky Homosapien-Catch a Bad One
    Green Day-Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    MC Hammer-U Can't Touch This
    Mac Dre-She Neva Seen
    Keak Da Sneak-Super Hyphy
    Sly Stone-Everyday People
    Tony! Toni! Tone-Pillow
    Rapahel Saadiq-Oh Girl
    Heiroglyphics-Soweto
    Yukmouth-Ice Cream Man
    Ice Cube-Today Was a Good Day
    The Coup-We Are the Ones
    Sheila E-A Love Bizarre
    Keyshia Cole-Love

3 Essential Albums:

[/FONT]
    Last edited by Dasher; 11-11-2008 at 03:05 PM.

BB king is from memphis? i thought he was from mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by hito da god
    BB king is from memphis? i thought he was from mississippi
    [FONT=Garamond]He was born in Mississippi, but Memphis claims him because it was there that he refined his craft and gained his fame. It is T.I, Jeezy, and Gucci Mane claiming Atlanta when they are not natives.[/FONT]

rank sentamentalist

Cool stuff. Do one a day or something, just so I can keep up. :)

Dasher, how could you leave out these artist.

Maurice White
    Memphis Slim
    Justin Timberflake

Cool concept though.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    Cool stuff. Do one a day or something, just so I can keep up. :)
    "50 Music Cities in 50 Days" That's the name of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Next Stop:Oakland , California

IS you doin' both Oakland and San Fran?

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    "50 Music Cities in 50 Days" That's the name of the thread.

I reserve the right to call myself an idiot, at least before you (rightfully) do.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    IS you doin' both Oakland and San Fran?
    [FONT=Garamond]Oakland will be done separately because of I wanted to go into detail about Oakland's funk, R&B and multiple hip hop movements. I am trying for 50 cities and I am going to need San Fran to make it across the finish line.[/FONT]

dasher stays on point with his music sh*t

Hellbound

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    [FONT=Garamond]Oakland will be done separately because of I wanted to go into detail about Oakland's funk, R&B and multiple hip hop movements. I am trying for 50 cities and I am going to need San Fran to make it across the finish line.[/FONT]
    Are you implying that you can't just do one city from each state, and that Anchorage, Des Moines, and Billings don't have famous musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    Are you implying that you can't just do one city from each state, and that Anchorage, Des Moines, and Billings don't have famous musicians?
    [FONT=Garamond]I AM implying that those cities are not important. I am not limiting myself to the US. Havana, Nassau, London, Birmingham, Paris, Port Au Prince, Kingston, and other international locales will receive love. Doing it by state would have made some of the posts laborious. The Cali, Florida, and Texas posts alone would be massive. As far as middle of nowhere cities are concerned Omaha will get some attention.[/FONT]

Good High School Starter

Great idea Dasher. Memphis was really a breeding ground for advancing black music. I never realized how many people came out of there.

[FONT=Garamond]City #3 Muscle Shoals, Alabama

Muscle Shoals, Alabama is probably the world's most unassuming and underrated music capital. Muscle Shoals has had a hand in the development of Country, Soul, Rock,Blues, and Gospel music. Two studios are largely responsible for it's contributions to American music. FAME Studio and The Muscle Shoals Sound Studio are those studios. Artists go to Muscle Shoals to tap into it's signature sound, and to escape the limelight.

Duane Allman once pitched a tent and camped out in the parking lot of FAME studios in an effort to be near the recording sessions occurring there. He soon befriended the studio owner Rick Hall and Wilson Pickett. During a lunch break, Allman taught Pickett "Hey Jude". Duane and Wilson's version of the song was eventually recorded with Allman on lead guitar. Upon hearing the session, Pickett's label Atlantic Records. asked who had played the guitar solos on the record. Hall responded with a hand-written note that read "some hippie cat who's been living in our parking lot." Shortly afterwards, Allman was offered a recording contract. The audition for The Allman Brothers Band were held at The FAME Studios.

Recording his Christian records in Muscle Shoals was thought to give Bob Dylan's records credibility. During the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, the area was a hotbed of creative talent as both white and black artists worked side-by-side. While this "desegregation" of artists is usually praised for its innovation, it was nothing new for most artists in North Alabama. In fact, the common practice of white and black musicians working together in Muscle Shoals can be traced as far back as the 1930s, regardless of racial tensions elsewhere in the American South.

The Swampers who were the session rhythm musicians at FAME Studios. Lynyrd Skynyrd gave them a shoutout in their classic song "Sweet Home Alabama". "Muscle Schoals has got The Swampers, and they've been known to pick a song or two."

Links To Come Later

Artists Who Have Recorded in Muscle Shoals:
    Aretha Franklin
    Bob Dylan
    The Rolling Stones
    Paul Simon-Still Crazy After All These Years
    Rod Stewart
    Eric Clapton
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Wilson Pickett
    The Staples Singers-I'll Take You There
    Bill Haley and His Comets
    Bobby Womack
    Millie Jackson
    Traffic
    Lulu
    Boz Scaggs
    Willie Nelson
    Bobby Blue Bland
    Z.Z. Hill
    Shirley Brown
    Sawyer Brown
    Bob Seger
    Glenn Frey
    The Oak Ridge Boys
    Delbert McClinton
    Little Milton
    Alice in Chains
    Melissa Etheridge
    Paul Anka
    Etta James
    The Osmonds
    Shenandoah
    Otis Redding
    Clarence Carter
    Candi Staton
    Mac Davis
    The Osmonds

[/FONT]
    Last edited by Dasher; 11-12-2008 at 11:18 AM.