Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    You know what? I think she is completely right. MLK JR is the type of guy that would not walk around wearing a hoodie.

He is also the type of guy that preached non-violence; everything he stood for and did in his life was based on the study of non-violence. If somebody hit him, he would not hit back. He based his life around the studies of Mahatma Gandhi. He is the type of guy that would rather get arrested and thrown in jail for something he believed in than violate his own beliefs. THAT right there goes against the actions of Trayvon Martin. Sure, he was a kid and you can make the argument that his violent actions were also in self-defense, but don't distort what MLK stood for to make your own activist statement. MLK STOOD FOR NON-VIOLENCE EVEN UNDER OPPRESSION!!

I find it very insulting that people are using MLK in this to get their own biases over this case across. That goes against everything MLK himself believed in. I studied MLK's life very closely, and I find him to be one of the most inspirational people that I have ever studied. And I'm not black.

Lets not act as if Trayvon Martin was like MLK JR. No, there are ZERO similarities and to try to create some sort of connection between the two is in violation of MLK's beliefs and standards.
    If he would be mad at trayvon for fighting back, just imagine how mad he would be at zimmerman for using his gun and killing a kid after profiling him..

If you studied MLK, then you know he would cry if he saw alot of things that went on including the trayvon martin incident..

Not only was MLK against against the kind of profiling that was done to trayvon by zimmerman, he was also a fighter against income inequality, and human rights champion for people across the globe.

If MLK was alive he would be public enemy #1.. People would hate him because he would be calling all these hypocrites from the president on down to the zimmermans..

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Wait, DID she say that, or are you attempting to put words in her mouth?
    I said she probably would. I didn't say I'm positive she would, so no... not attempting to put words in her mouth.

I guess a better way of re-phrasing would be, "It wouldn't surprise me if she were presumptive enough to tell everyone who MLK would vote for if he were still alive."

I guess the point of the picture flew over her head completely.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    If he would be mad at trayvon for fighting back, just imagine how mad he would be at zimmerman for using his gun and killing a kid after profiling him..

If you studied MLK, then you know he would cry if he saw alot of things that went on including the trayvon martin incident..

Not only was MLK against against the kind of profiling that was done to trayvon by zimmerman, he was also a fighter against income inequality, and human rights champion for people across the globe.

If MLK was alive he would be public enemy #1.. People would hate him because he would be calling all these hypocrites from the president on down to the zimmermans..
    Its funny cause last year the US air force used his words in a way targeted at getting people to support their nuclear strike capabilities. MLK is like Jesus now, everybody uses him to promote their cause.

http://gizmodo.com/5978125/air-force...uclear-warfare

Dr. King would be proud to see our Global Strike team - comprised of Airmen, civilians and contractors from every race, creed, background and religion - standing side-by-side ensuring the most powerful weapons in the U.S. arsenal remain the credible bedrock of our national defense. . . Our team must overlook our differences to ensure perfection as we maintain and operate our weapon systems. . . Maintaining our commitment to our Global Strike team, our families and our nation is a fitting tribute to Dr. King as we celebrate his legacy.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 07-16-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1

I never said anything about him being mad at Martin or Zimmerman. I don't know how he would react to those 2 directly, but lets not act as if MLK would fully support Martin like activists out there are trying to make it seem. That's false. I don't think MLK would support either one. Zimmerman wouldn't be supported because of his stupidity and ignoring the community watch rules that he SHOULD know if he was truly a community watch. Trayvon wouldn't be supported because his first action was violence.

He would be out there making sure it never happens again. Maybe fight for integrating same community watch rules across the nation. If somebody violates the community watch rules while on duty that leads to the death or critical condition of somebody, the person would not be allowed to be defended as community watch under the justice system. Something ought to be done.

Perhaps, he would teach kids that the first response to an injustice is not violence. A lot of things he would do and say. He was an outspoken guy that truly cared about the community.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I never said anything about him being mad at Martin or Zimmerman. I don't know how he would react to those 2 directly, but lets not act as if MLK would fully support Martin like activists out there are trying to make it seem. That's false. I don't think MLK would support either one. Zimmerman wouldn't be supported because of his stupidity and ignoring the community watch rules that he SHOULD know if he was truly a community watch. Trayvon wouldn't be supported because his first action was violence.

He would be out there making sure it never happens again. Maybe fight for integrating same community watch rules across the nation. If somebody violates the community watch rules while on duty that leads to the death or critical condition of somebody, the person would not be allowed to be defended as community watch under the justice system. Something ought to be done.

Perhaps, he would teach kids that the first response to an injustice is not violence. A lot of things he would do and say. He was an outspoken guy that truly cared about the community.
    My point is that he would obviously have a bigger problem with the profiling since that was a huge part of what his life's work was about. Seeing black people get killed and then seeing the justice system drag their feet to even prosecute the killer is something MLK was all too familar with..

As a matter of fact, MLK's killer walked free a while before the justice sytem decided to prosecute the guy.. Medgar Evers? Emmitt Till? the list goes on and on and on...
    Last edited by Rasheed1; 07-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Its funny cause last year the US air force used his words in a way targeted at getting people to support their nuclear strike capabilities. MLK is like Jesus now, everybody uses him to promote their cause.

http://gizmodo.com/5978125/air-force...uclear-warfare

this is what Im talking about... you also see hypocrites like Barack Obama using MLKs bible to swear himself in when his foreign policy is a disgrace..

MLK would Obama's enemy if he were alive today.. He would be the enemy of alot of people who walk around saying his name while acting like devils

   

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    I guess the point of the picture flew over her head completely.
    exactly. it sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about and has a real agenda to push.

my understanding of MLK is that he was in to solidarity and peaceful protest. if his actions and reputation are any measure, i would guess he very much WOULD wear a hoodie over all this, whether for a photo or something more.

someone above was saying that MLK wouldn't want to have anything to do with martin over principles. that sounds like sheer nonsense. MLK wasn't about expecting everyone to be like him, he was about standing up for peoples rights in a responsible way. IMO, of course.....

"Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We've got to face that. And we've got to do something about our moral standards. We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can't keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves."

-Dr. Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    "Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We've got to face that. And we've got to do something about our moral standards. We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can't keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves."
    He is absolutely right... And I think if white people actually paid any attention to what goes on in the black community they wouldnt make dumb comment abouts black on black crime because they would already know that there is a huge war going on amongst black folks every day to stop the violence....
    'It doesnt excuse or have any thing to with racist crimes against black folks..

Serious playground baller MAC system's Avatar

Milk was a communist piece of shit. Who cares

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by MAC system
    Milk was a communist piece of shit. Who cares
    Wow somebody anti MLK in 2013. You the first person I can remember.

Very good NBA starter

-Dr. Martin Luther King
    It takes a very strong and honest person to point out flaws in their own people, and so many people of all races nowadays are not that.

MLK was admirable, and no doubt he would advocate non violence. His beliefs were such a contrast to, say, Malcom X's militant "eye for an eye" beliefs.

I was just watching a CNN exclusive right now "race and justice" or something, and it's one person after another explaining how victimized black people are (there's truth to it) and how they should instruct their black child to act, but never (in mainstream media) is there courage enough to even remotely address this notion MLK addressed in that quote.

The one person who addressed gang-culture, of all people, was freaking Newt Gingrich.... That's sad to me.

(note: merely replying to that quote, i'm not insinuating Trayvon was in a gang or even deserved to be profiled that night)

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    It takes a very strong and honest person to point out flaws in their own people, and so many people of all races nowadays are not that.

MLK was admirable, and no doubt he would advocate non violence. His beliefs were such a contrast to, say, Malcom X's militant "eye for an eye" beliefs.

I was just watching a CNN exclusive right now "race and justice" or something, and it's one person after another explaining how victimized black people are (there's truth to it) and how they should instruct their black child to act, but never (in mainstream media) is there courage enough to even remotely address this notion MLK addressed in that quote.

The one person who addressed gang-culture, of all people, was freaking Newt Gingrich.... That's sad to me.
    George Zimmerman's acquittal of murder charges in a Florida court has been followed by predictable calls for America to have a "national conversation" about this or that aspect of the case. President Obama wants to talk about gun control. Civil-rights leaders want to talk about racial profiling. Others want to discuss how the American criminal justice system supposedly targets black men.

All of which is fine. Just don't expect these conversations to be especially illuminating or honest. Liberals in general, and the black left in particular, like the idea of talking about racial problems, but in practice they typically ignore the most relevant aspects of any such discussion.

Any candid debate on race and criminality in this country would have to start with the fact that blacks commit an astoundingly disproportionate number of crimes. African-Americans constitute about 13% of the population, yet between 1976 and 2005 blacks committed more than half of all murders in the U.S. The black arrest rate for most offenses—including robbery, aggravated assault and property crimes—is typically two to three times their representation in the population. The U.S. criminal-justice system, which currently is headed by one black man (Attorney General Eric Holder) who reports to another (President Obama), is a reflection of this reality, not its cause.

"High rates of black violence in the late twentieth century are a matter of historical fact, not bigoted imagination," wrote the late Harvard Law professor William Stuntz in "The Collapse of American Criminal Justice." "The trends reached their peak not in the land of Jim Crow but in the more civilized North, and not in the age of segregation but in the decades that saw the rise of civil rights for African Americans—and of African American control of city governments."

The left wants to blame these outcomes on racial animus and "the system," but blacks have long been part of running that system. Black crime and incarceration rates spiked in the 1970s and '80s in cities such as Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia, under black mayors and black police chiefs. Some of the most violent cities in the U.S. today are run by blacks.

The jury's only job in the Zimmerman trial was to determine whether the defendant broke the law when he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last year in a gated community near Orlando, Fla. In cases of self-defense, it doesn't matter who initiated the confrontation; whether Mr. Zimmerman singled out Martin because he was a black youngster in a neighborhood where there had been a series of burglaries by black youngsters; or whether Mr. Zimmerman disregarded what the police dispatcher told him before he got out of his car. Nor does it matter that Martin was unarmed and minding his own business when Mr. Zimmerman approached.

All that really mattered in that courtroom is whether Mr. Zimmerman reasonably believed that his life was in danger when he pulled the trigger. Critics of the verdict might not like the statutes that allowed for this outcome, but the proper response would not have been for the jury to ignore them and convict.

Did the perception of black criminality play a role in Martin's death? We may never know for certain, but we do know that those negative perceptions of young black men are rooted in hard data on who commits crimes. We also know that young black men will not change how they are perceived until they change how they behave.

The homicide rate claiming black victims today is seven times that of whites, and the George Zimmermans of the world are not the reason. Some 90% of black murder victims are killed by other blacks.

So let's have our discussions, even if the only one that really needs to occur is within the black community. Civil-rights leaders today choose to keep the focus on white racism instead of personal responsibility, but their predecessors knew better.

"Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We've got to face that. And we've got to do something about our moral standards," Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. told a congregation in 1961. "We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can't keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves."

Mr. Riley is a member of the Journal's editorial board.

A version of this article appeared July 16, 2013, on page A15 in the U.S. edition of The WSJ

the author of this article happens to be a black.
    Last edited by rezznor; 07-16-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Very good NBA starter

the author of this article happens to be a black.
    Good. I didn't say nobody is talking about it at all. I applaud any and all talks. But lets be real, it's largely avoided in left and right mainstream media, because it's not sensational or a narrative that'll draw in ratings. For every piece like that, there are 10 shying away from these problems.