Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

I'm not into video games much anymore...besides some NBA 2k13 when my cousin comes over.

But i randomly just saw a walkthrough of The Last of Us on youtube. I got there from a thread on here that linked to a Jason Williams highlight video on youtube.
    Then I clicked on some related videos and eventually got to the Last of Us walkthrough ( i saw the beginning where the girl gives the fixed watch to her dad, then she wakes up in the morning and he's gone, then they have to kill their infected neighbors and drive away).

I didn't even really know i was watching a video game. The sh*t was pure fire.

So i started to wonder about how much control you have in it and stuff...as opposed to just watching a video on screen with no control...so i googled the game and stuff...but then i realized it was ps3 exclusive, and i have xbox360 .

So to all you with a ps3, have fun. This seems like a classic game that can change the industry.

Shitty game. Good characters and voice acting but shitty gameplay.
    COD games are so much better gameplay and character wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Chizdog

Finished it this week. It's the best game I've ever played and I really want a sequel. I haven't been this hooked by a game since FFX

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Lol it's funny how everyone is just now saying Naughty Dog is the best in the business.

If you asked me in 1999 who the best developer ever was I'd tell you it was Naughty Dog....

Still the reigning king of kart racers.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by Chizdog
    That's going too far.

Playing through it right now and while it's not close to the best game I've played in years (it's not even the best of this year, for me) but it's excellent. The story and characters are top quality.

The stealth combat/gameplay is where the big flaw of The Last of Us comes out. It's just not that great and having a companion breaks a lot of the immersion. Too often I'm hiding from clickers, moving slowly and Ellie is jumping around and actually running to the enemies. They of course don't react to her because it's programmed that way. It would be too frustrating otherwise but it kills a lot of the tension for me.

I haven't finished it yet though.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

On normal how long is this game taking you guys to complete? I'm about 10 hours in....just past the point where Ellie and Joel are fished out of the water by Henry and his brother. How much farther is there till the ending?

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    On normal how long is this game taking you guys to complete? I'm about 10 hours in....just past the point where Ellie and Joel are fished out of the water by Henry and his brother. How much farther is there till the ending?
    You're probably around halfway in, I think, or maybe a little bit further ahead. It took me almost 21 hours, but I was exploring quite a lot and trying to find as much stuff as I could.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I took about 26 hours, but I rooted around like crazy and came out with a rediculous percentage of collectables on my first play through.

I'd say you're not quite at the halfway mark.

I'm on my second play through on a new game plus, and I'm ripping through it at a better rate, and am probably three sections in front of you at probably the same 10 hour mark.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

A couple of weapon questions:

Are the holsters necessary? They require a lot of parts points.....just to be able to switch weapons a little faster?

Does the bow improve much with upgrades? The begining level bow just seems to launch arrows like a toy plastic bow.

Are the holsters necessary? They require a lot of parts points.....just to be able to switch weapons a little faster?

Does the bow improve much with upgrades? The begining level bow just seems to launch arrows like a toy plastic bow.
    Yes and yes. Weapons holsters are not necessary per se, but you will find yourself in the middle of gunfights in which you will run out of ammo, and being able to switch weapons fast (without having to access your backpack) is huge. I got the gun holster as my first upgrade and the long arms holster a little further along the way.
    The bow does improve quite a lot. Draw speed is not as important as range imo, because I usually favored the bow in stealth situations. However, the range upgrade is very nice to have, especially when coupled with weapon sway reduction. You can get some crazy shots with some practice.
    In the end it all comes down to your playing style, but I would certainly recommend getting the weapon holsters at some point.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'd say yes and yes too.

I did the weapon holsters, both of them, as my very first upgrades. It did take a lot of points. I thought about it in retrospect, about perhaps upgrading a specific weapon that I fancied more aggressively first, but the truth is you're not going to have the ammo to fancy a particular weapon all that much one way or the other. And that lack of ammo for a specific weapon, combined with the limited clip size they all have, will mean you'll want those holsters. It basically doubles your clip capacity, or more depending on the guys you use.
    The other issue with focusing on a particular gun to upgrade, is that those work benches can be an awfully long way apart. You can go quite some time without seeing one. So I think my strategy of just using up every tool point I had on whatever was the most efficient way to spread them out. It meant everything kind of upgraded at the same rate. Truthfully I didn't use the bow much my first time through. Actually it was someone in here who said the bow was fun and stealthy that got me using it. So I probably could've spread my tools out more aggressively a different way, but it worked.

I just got to the Winter hunting chapter last night on my first New Game+ playthrough. I know I haven't been nearly as diligent looking for stuff. But my main objective was to finish the upgradeing. I just finished off maxing out all the weapons last night. I finished off upgrading Joel pretty quickly the second time through. The weapons took a little longer. Mostly because it takes a while to get to that last weapon.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna play through a new game on the hardest level and go for that trophy, or play a plus game on the easiest level and use a walthrough to find all the items. I'm not missing many. I really wish you could go from level to level like in Uncharted.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'd say yes and yes too.

I did the weapon holsters, both of them, as my very first upgrades. It did take a lot of points. I thought about it in retrospect, about perhaps upgrading a specific weapon that I fancied more aggressively first, but the truth is you're not going to have the ammo to fancy a particular weapon all that much one way or the other. And that lack of ammo for a specific weapon, combined with the limited clip size they all have, will mean you'll want those holsters. It basically doubles your clip capacity, or more depending on the guys you use.
    The other issue with focusing on a particular gun to upgrade, is that those work benches can be an awfully long way apart. You can go quite some time without seeing one. So I think my strategy of just using up every tool point I had on whatever was the most efficient way to spread them out. It meant everything kind of upgraded at the same rate. Truthfully I didn't use the bow much my first time through. Actually it was someone in here who said the bow was fun and stealthy that got me using it. So I probably could've spread my tools out more aggressively a different way, but it worked.

I just got to the Winter hunting chapter last night on my first New Game+ playthrough. I know I haven't been nearly as diligent looking for stuff. But my main objective was to finish the upgradeing. I just finished off maxing out all the weapons last night. I finished off upgrading Joel pretty quickly the second time through. The weapons took a little longer. Mostly because it takes a while to get to that last weapon.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna play through a new game on the hardest level and go for that trophy, or play a plus game on the easiest level and use a walthrough to find all the items. I'm not missing many. I really wish you could go from level to level like in Uncharted.
    Thorpe I think you can do that. I know I found it somewhere just after I finished the game. I'm at work now, so I can't tell you exactly where to find it, but I will have a look again when I get home tonight.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'd say yes and yes too.

You can select chapters bro, I did it.
    Terrific game guys, I beat it on Hard, Normal and Plus already.
    Got all the collectables and maxed out all the guns. Need another week to earn that plat. I'm a god when it comes to Naughty Dog games, been playing the shit out of this game.