Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Hobbit will be shown in 2D, 3D and high-rate-frame 3D

As you may know Peter Jackson shot The Hobbit at a frame rate of 48 frames per second. Traditionally film was shot at 24 FPS and video is under 30 FPS. I'm curious as to how this looks. A lot of folks didn't like the look where they first showed some preview material, but I don't know if it that was using the same setup they are going to be using in theaters. They are not going to show a 2D version at 48 FPS. So you have to see it in 3D if you want to see how the high frame rate version looks. I'm also wondering if they are going to charge three different prices as the 48 FPS version is going to require that the theaters get new projectors. The new projection system uses two projectors and creates 3-D that is much brighter than current 3D.. They say it's 90% as bright as 2D, regular 3D can be as low as 1/3 as bright.

[QUOTE]PETER JACKSON: I think HFR is terrific. As a filmmaker, I try to make my movies immersive. I want to draw the audience out of their seats, and pull them into the adventure. That is the experience I hope to offer moviegoers no matter which format they choose at the theater. While I personally prefer watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D, I can assure you that every format will provide you with an incredible and immersive experience.

HFR 3D is

Default Re: The Hobbit will be shown in 2D, 3D and high-rate-frame 3D

This could be PR spin, but Warner Brothers is saying the film will look much, much better than the earlier previews. Also it tickets will be the same price as 3D.

He adds that the images that struck some viewers at the time as being too cold, similar to videotape, look a lot different now. Jackson “hadn’t had time to do color correction” or add graininess and filtering, Fellman says. “The reels I’ve seen knocked my socks off.” AMC Theaters says it will have 98 venues offering The Hobbit in HFR-3D and Regal Entertainment has 91. Tickets for the HFR screenings likely will cost no more than the theaters already charge for conventional 3D films.

Some folks are loving 48 fps and some are hating it.

Loving it
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/pet...buts-in-48fps/
    The experience I had watching The Hobbit the first time was on of utter fascination: was I seeing a glimpse at the future of cinema? A glorious, grand, epic, fun adventure about a small little Hobbit and thirteen of his Dwarf friends running across the hills and valleys of Middle Earth to reclaim some mountain taken over by a dragon. Was the HFR distraction just a temporary interference or greater hindrance? The one thing I can say:...I've never experienced visuals like this.
    Mixed Feelings
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_2233959.html
    my feelings about the format are very mixed. With all that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and answer every question I had about the format before seeing it for myself.

Q: How does the 48-FPS format differ from most other films?

A: It has twice as many frames per second. This gives it an incredibly clear picture. Which is part of the problem.

Q: Why would a clearer image be a problem?

A: Because, as it turns out, it's possible for an image to look so clear that it no longer looks real. Or so real that it takes you out of the film. As in: that film set looks like ... a film set. Put it this way: the picture is so clear that in one scene I could see Ian McKellen's contact lenses. I won't claim to be a Tolkien expert, but I am pretty sure Acuvue does not exist in Middle Earth.

Q: Did you enjoy watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 48 FPS?

A: Yes and no, for completely different reasons. I'll admit, it was fascinating to watch a movie in 48 FPS because, honestly, I've never seen anything like it. Ever. So, from a technology standpoint, I enjoyed it quite a bit. But! To the extent that I simply wanted to watch a movie and be immersed in another world, it was distracting.

Q: How was it distracting?
    .......Click link for much more
    Hating it
    Some viewers told the Sunday Times that the filming technique made them nauseous and dizzy, with some even complaining of migraines.

I don'teven know how to imagine this

Samurai Swoosh

Totally not interested in another film about little midget fakkits walking around, with talking trees and magicians.

Not to mention Peter Jackson, and his overly self indulgent 3 hour caliber films, with material that doesn't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Totally not interested in another film about little midget fakkits walking around, with talking trees and magicians.

Not to mention Peter Jackson, and his overly self indulgent 3 hour caliber films, with material that doesn't deserve it.
    I'm glad you made it clear you're an imbecile so I can dismiss any other drivel you will undoubtedly conjure in the near future

i personally hate 48 FPS

the claims that it makes shit look fake are true.

you can blatantly tell its a movie set.

you can friggin see the damn make up caked on actors faces its so bad.

its basically the same as how some of the newer TVs are so good you have to go into their settings and downgrade the ****ers b/c they make it easy to see how the lighting and sets are obviously fake.

48 FPS essentially makes a movie look like an expensive stage play.

i get that it will eventually be the standard but until people relearn how to do lighting, sets, makeup, etc, its going to look like ass.

Well that sucks, why only offer the higher framerate in 3d?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    I'm glad you made it clear you're an imbecile so I can dismiss any other drivel you will undoubtedly conjure in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    i personally hate 48 FPS
    What have you seen projected at 48fps?

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    What have you seen projected at 48fps?
    Being projected at 48 fps and being shot at 48 fps are two different things. I think films are shot at 24 fps, and each frame repeated twice, projecting it at 48 fps. The difference is we have each slide capturing a different image at 48 fps. Less motion blur means less imperfections making people see it as "too real that it's fake."
    Last edited by shlver; 12-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    Being projected at 48 fps and being shot at 48 fps are two different things. I think films are shot at 24 fps, and each frame repeated twice, making it 48 fps. The difference is we have each slide capturing a different image running at 48 fps. Less motion blur means less imperfections making people see it as "too fake."
    Lmao what. That doesn't happen, all that would do is make the whole thing look janky.

When people talk about 48fps they obviously mean the entire thing, so shot in 48fps and projected in 48fps. Not one or the other.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Lmao what. That doesn't happen, all that would do is make the whole thing look janky.

When people talk about 48fps they obviously mean the entire thing, so shot in 48fps and projected in 48fps. Not one or the other.
    Yes it does. Couldn't find a reliable source but this an excerpt from a professional cinema equipment seller
    With 24 fps, movie projectors typically show each frame 2-3 times for an overall refresh rate of 48-72 Hz.
    http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/high-frame-rate-video
    It was poorly worded anyways. I fixed it.
    Last edited by shlver; 12-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23

i don't even know where to begin

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare

i don't even know where to begin
    Yes, that put's his comments about breaking bad into a new light.