Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Reggie has longevity on his side. Kevin Johnson doesn't. If Kevin Johnson sscored 25k points, he'd be in too. Or was number 1 forever in 3 pointers, he'd be in too. But he aint.

All Kevin Johnson has is a high APG. That's it. He's 18th on the all time list in APG. (And he will passed shortly by several others such as Paul and Deron Williams... maybe even some other guys like John Wall....)

He has made 3 all-star teams. No rings. No first team all-nbas.
    Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight; 04-26-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    i agree with this.... if reggie gets in then you gotta let just about everyone in.
    Who's Kevin Johnson again ... Cats in Sacramento don't even know he played ball probably. Hell, homie in Sac Town Mitch Richmond was on his level.

Everyone knows Reggie.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Who's Kevin Johnson again ... Cats in Sacramento don't even know he played ball probably. Hell, homie in Sac Town Mitch Richmond was on his level.

Everyone knows Reggie.
    Exactly.

It's a popularity contest, career stats aren't everything in the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by bingoa
    Exactly.

It's a popularity contest, career stats aren't everything in the HOF
    No, there is a reason we all know Reggie. What reason did KJ give us to remember him by, a dunk over Hakeem?

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    No first team all-nbas.
    Not sure that should be counted against him though. He had a couple of guys named Jordan and Stockton being voted over him.

Beyond that he had a few elite seasons, but not sure he otherwise did enough to get in. In terms of peak play though, he was an amazing point guard.

College star

If Rodman made it, anyone can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto

THIS

Very good NBA starter

KJ was legit all-star level, but that's it. not HOF.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Absolutely.

Top 10 all-time. Better peak and prime and career than Tim Hardaway.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    You sure, they are about even.
    I don't think advanced stats are perfect but they are useful, and at very least remind you to take into account stuff like shooting %s and turnovers which are often ignored.

Johnson's PER (and Win Shares) are significantly above Hardaway and a large part of that is that he shot a lot more accurately (fg% .493, ts% .585 to .431 and .531).

Johnson was a very high percentage shooter for a high usage point guard (frankly he was an efficient scorer regardless of position).

Mark Price is probably the best comp for Johnson (they played together in Cleveland briefly), different styles but both super efficient scorers but also still good passers, both struggled with injuries both would have had more acclaim/awards if they hadn't played in the same era as Magic and Stockton (as well as the already mentioned Hardaway). Johnson lasted a little better is probably the main difference.

Of course Johnson was all-star level, he would have had more appearances but for injuries (not specific games that he missed and was replaced, just that he made more all NBA teams than he did All-Star games), HOF I'd guess he's borderline but given some of the recent inductions he should be in.

Local High School Star

Probably not. He hasn't had that much of an illustrious career because of injuries. He's a HOFer in terms of ability though. Peak wise, I consider him better than a first ballot guy like Stockton.

As for KJ vs Tim, they're on the same tier to me but I'd take KJ because I wouldn't have to worry about him settling as much. I can't see Riley calling KJ out for his shot selection. KJ had an attack first mentality that I'm a fan of and he only settled when the defense sagged off of him.

But I think Tim's more decorated in terms of whe he achieved (finishing 4th in MVP voting, led to a team to 60+ as the best player, made first team All-NBA).

College superstar

I don't think so. As has been mentioned, he was definitely a hall of fame talent, but didn't have a hall of fame career. This was greatly due to injury though.

Good High School Starter Nashty's Avatar

In his prime 9 playoff years in 92 games he was averaging 21 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds on 47% shooting and was twice in WCF and once in big finals, I think he is.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Probably not. He hasn't had that much of an illustrious career because of injuries. He's a HOFer in terms of ability though. Peak wise, I consider him better than a first ballot guy like Stockton.

As for KJ vs Tim, they're on the same tier to me but I'd take KJ because I wouldn't have to worry about him settling as much. I can't see Riley calling KJ out for his shot selection. KJ had an attack first mentality that I'm a fan of and he only settled when the defense sagged off of him.

But I think Tim's more decorated in terms of whe he achieved (finishing 4th in MVP voting, led to a team to 60+ as the best player, made first team All-NBA).
    I think Hardaway's being more decorated has a lot to do with timing though. 3 consecutive All-NBA second teams behind MJ and Magic is nothing to be sniffed at (plus one further 2nd team and one 3rd team). As for best player on that Heat team, he was more of a star, more skilled perhaps and played more (than Alonzo) but statistically its close (I'd take Mourining) and Zo was a much, much better defender. Even if you prefer Tim Bug's entangiables/leadership I can't see how that puts Timmy ahead.

As before, he's not what I think of when I think HOF, he's definitely at the borderline but I think given that Miller and Rodman are in (and his peak is so much better than theirs) I'd find it hard to deny him.

if chris mullin is, then KJ most definitely is

but the basketball HOF is so useless it's not really worth arguing about. some women's assistant coach from the 1956 portuguese olympic team will get in before a top 10 NBA point guard

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

if chris mullin is, then KJ most definitely is
    Chris Mullin was a 5 time all-star. (That's two more than KJ)
    He has a first team all-nba award. (That's 1 more than KJ)
    He was a Gold Medalist on the dream Team. (That's more than what KJ has)
    He was a stud at St. Johns back when college meant something. (More than KJ ever was....)

Rodman won the DPOY year award twice.
    He only has 1 less all-star appearance than KJ.
    He was a 5 time NBA champion.
    Perhaps the greatest rebounder (at least Top 5) ever.....

Posters on this board are just getting dumber and dumber. Look at the stats and history before you spout off bullsh*t. It would be much more worthwhile.