Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Deadpool's Avatar

Default Re: Some advice for basketball players

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yea I don't see how Tyreke is going to get that shot to work without changing his form. It's just plain ugly. I can see him shooting no better than maybe Pippen... but I just don't feel like he will ever be a serious threat from the midrange... just someone you shouldn't leave wide ass open.

I could very well eat my words tho.
    Tyreke is exceptional. Boy do I love that guys game if he develops a reliable jump shot then that's great but yeah his form on his shot looks a little awkward. Do players actually change the form on their jumpshots throughout their careers in NBA?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    As far as attacking the rim and the ugly-ass jumper, then yeah . Not the worst comparison.
    Damn that sounds like how I'd used to play, until I decided recently that I'd be better off developing a shot if I were to play against bigger players.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yea I don't see how Tyreke is going to get that shot to work without changing his form. It's just plain ugly. I can see him shooting no better than maybe Pippen... but I just don't feel like he will ever be a serious threat from the midrange... just someone you shouldn't leave wide ass open.

I could very well eat my words tho.
    His shot seems alright though, what is particularly wrong with it? To me it just seems like he leans back a little, puts the ball behind his head and doesn't jump that high. But are all those that detracting?

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Damn that sounds like how I'd used to play, until I decided recently that I'd be better off developing a shot if I were to play against bigger players.
    Don't really play against guards who are taller than me.

His shot seems alright though, what is particularly wrong with it? To me it just seems like he leans back a little, puts the ball behind his head and doesn't jump that high. But are all those that detracting?
    It's just plain hideous.

Yea the ball is behind his head, his elbow is flared out, and that elbow is practically at a 90 degree angle

Worked on my 3 point shot for the first time in a long time today. Was airballing quite a bit at first but once I got warmed up and started using my legs I started to hit them.

I'm just going to practice 3s and driving to the rim now. My mid range game is decent but I'm not going to work on it so I can improve on other aspects of my game. My goal is to become a PG with a nasty shot. Steve Nash style.
    Wrong. and big mistake. Everyone ( apparently not) knows you should never never start a workout by shooting 3 pointers. Not even the best NBA shooters like Dell Curry, Stephen Curry, Steve Nash do. They don't wake up go in the gym and start burying 3s from 24 ft out like its nothing.

You know where they start 2 feet from the basket, and they miss also, but they quickly find a rhythm. You honestly shouldn't even attempt a 3 pointer until at least 10-15 minutes into your work out. They start in and slowly progress out, that's how you find your touch and most importantly build confident. I don't know how much, but there is no question some of the game is mental.

There are 3 types of shooting workouts i do right when I enter a gym. This is what I call it

The Steve Nash/Dell Curry/ I basically took their drills and combined them.

start out with Mikans layups
    then 2-3 feet all around shooting get nice form and release.
    10 ft out baseline to baseline
    in the paint- mid fadeaways
    banks shots short- just inside high shool 3 point line. 40 degrees
    elbow to elbow shots
    hestitation pull ups mid range- just inside 3 point line
    step back pull ups mid range-just inside 3 point line
    free throws 10-15 makes in a row
    pick roll situations to pull up ( try to pull up around ft line area)
    HS and college 3 point line shooting
    NBA 3 point shooting.

IDK how long it takes me since I have never timed myself but it takes Steve Nash 20 minutes to do. This is the warm up btw, then you can do whatever you eel you want to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk Steve Nash doing this workout.

Then at the end of my workout I try to do the Kevin Durant drill, which is kinda like aroudn the world, but you move very very slowly. You want to do this just inside the HS 3 pt line so about 18-19 ft. KD says he wants to feel like he can make it from every angle on the court, that's why he does this.

You have the right mindset to play college ball, but you just need to work on how you practice and play, but your halfway there. Remember anyone can play college ball if you really want to there are sooooo many colleges in the states it not even funny NAIA lower division teams you can see every guard on a team between 5-9 and 6'0 and like 165 lbs max and none of them that athletic or explosive. I have seen it with my own eyes.

However if you want to play "real" college ball at a good D2 school or mid major D1 or better you need to start practicing and playing the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    Wrong. and big mistake. Everyone ( apparently not) knows you should never never start a workout by shooting 3 pointers. Not even the best NBA shooters like Dell Curry, Stephen Curry, Steve Nash do. They don't wake up go in the gym and start burying 3s from 24 ft out like its nothing.

You know where they start 2 feet from the basket, and they miss also, but they quickly find a rhythm. You honestly shouldn't even attempt a 3 pointer until at least 10-15 minutes into your work out. They start in and slowly progress out, that's how you find your touch and most importantly build confident. I don't know how much, but there is no question some of the game is mental.

There are 3 types of shooting workouts i do right when I enter a gym. This is what I call it

The Steve Nash/Dell Curry/ I basically took their drills and combined them.

start out with Mikans layups
    then 2-3 feet all around shooting get nice form and release.
    10 ft out baseline to baseline
    in the paint- mid fadeaways
    banks shots short- just inside high shool 3 point line. 40 degrees
    elbow to elbow shots
    hestitation pull ups mid range- just inside 3 point line
    step back pull ups mid range-just inside 3 point line
    free throws 10-15 makes in a row
    pick roll situations to pull up ( try to pull up around ft line area)
    HS and college 3 point line shooting
    NBA 3 point shooting.

IDK how long it takes me since I have never timed myself but it takes Steve Nash 20 minutes to do. This is the warm up btw, then you can do whatever you eel you want to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk Steve Nash doing this workout.

Then at the end of my workout I try to do the Kevin Durant drill, which is kinda like aroudn the world, but you move very very slowly. You want to do this just inside the HS 3 pt line so about 18-19 ft. KD says he wants to feel like he can make it from every angle on the court, that's why he does this.

You have the right mindset to play college ball, but you just need to work on how you practice and play, but your halfway there. Remember anyone can play college ball if you really want to there are sooooo many colleges in the states it not even funny NAIA lower division teams you can see every guard on a team between 5-9 and 6'0 and like 165 lbs max and none of them that athletic or explosive. I have seen it with my own eyes.

However if you want to play "real" college ball at a good D2 school or mid major D1 or better you need to start practicing and playing the right way.
    I think I worded it wrong, what I meant was that once I got warmed up shooting 3s they started to drop. I stretch first then I shot shots right next to the basket so I can get form down, then I slowly move out and spend a good amount of time at the mid range really working the form and my jump. If I tried to shoot 3s when I first enter a gym cold I'd be airballing every single one of them.

Thanks for the workout, I'll definitely check it out tomorrow since I'm about to sleep right now. Right inside the HS 3 point line, or deep mid range is really my comfort zone. I can pull up, spot up or come off a screen there and feel absolutely confident in my shot. Hopefully I can adjust quickly and get used to the longer range of 3s.

My goal right now is D3 because I don't have the time or commitment to travel and practice with a D1/D2 squad, but I'm still training max out because I'd rather be safe than sorry on getting better.

I think I worded it wrong, what I meant was that once I got warmed up shooting 3s they started to drop. I stretch first then I shot shots right next to the basket so I can get form down, then I slowly move out and spend a good amount of time at the mid range really working the form and my jump. If I tried to shoot 3s when I first enter a gym cold I'd be airballing every single one of them.

Thanks for the workout, I'll definitely check it out tomorrow since I'm about to sleep right now. Right inside the HS 3 point line, or deep mid range is really my comfort zone. I can pull up, spot up or come off a screen there and feel absolutely confident in my shot. Hopefully I can adjust quickly and get used to the longer range of 3s.

My goal right now is D3 because I don't have the time or commitment to travel and practice with a D1/D2 squad, but I'm still training max out because I'd rather be safe than sorry on getting better.
    To play at the next level ( in college) you have to be committed. A lot of guys are good enough to play at a college level, but one of the reason they don't is they are committed to it. You pretty much have to be in the gym playing or practicing almost everyday to get at that level, so you can't really use practice as an excuse, because your doing it already. Travel can be an issue, but most teams in your conference are from the same region so it doesn't usual take more than 2 hours to get there.

Lastly, NCAA D3 doesn't give athletic basketball scholarships which is part of the reason the lower teams in this division are so bad. NAIA D1 is way way better than NCAA D3. However, they do give " academic scholarships" though so most people on sports teams are on that.

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    To play at the next level ( in college) you have to be committed. A lot of guys are good enough to play at a college level, but one of the reason they don't is they are committed to it. You pretty much have to be in the gym playing or practicing almost everyday to get at that level, so you can't really use practice as an excuse, because your doing it already. Travel can be an issue, but most teams in your conference are from the same region so it doesn't usual take more than 2 hours to get there.

Lastly, NCAA D3 doesn't give athletic basketball scholarships which is part of the reason the lower teams in this division are so bad. NAIA D1 is way way better than NCAA D3. However, they do give " academic scholarships" though so most people on sports teams are on that.
    Yeah I have no problems right now being in the gym everyday but I'm not sure how my schedule will look when college comes around so I can't say yet. It does bug me though that lots of kids I know say they want to play in college and that they had a hard workout which consisted of shooting around for half an hour after playing pickup, when they only go play basketball maybe once or twice in the summer. I haven't seen anyone on any of the levels of my HS team playing ball seriously let alone practicing this entire summer.

I might try and get an academic scholarship. School and academics comes naturally to me so it gives me more opportunities to work on basketball.

Saw a basketball once HeatWITNESS's Avatar

I am 22 and about 6'0" with shoes, and i can touch rim if i try hard. I weighed about 188 lbs last time i checked. I am trying to increase my vert, with an overall goal of dunking (who isnt). ive been doing alot of leg workouts, squats, burpees, etc, but i was seeing if anyone has any insight into what i should be doing, how often, and for how long.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatWITNESS
    I am 22 and about 6'0" with shoes, and i can touch rim if i try hard. I weighed about 188 lbs last time i checked. I am trying to increase my vert, with an overall goal of dunking (who isnt). ive been doing alot of leg workouts, squats, burpees, etc, but i was seeing if anyone has any insight into what i should be doing, how often, and for how long.
    Yeah check out the "By next year I will be dunking thread", it's got a lot of info on increasing vertical, proper workouts and maintenance. Probably more info than anyone would ever need but definitely a good read.

School just started and it's getting tougher to get to a gym, my local rec center's closed for 2 weeks, my parents won't drive me to the Celtics practice facility (even though I got a free membership there), the town tore up the courts for rebuilding, so I've been doing some shoot around on my hoop outside. It's pretty crap, the backboard's plastic and too forgiving and the rim is pretty forgiving as well. I'll definitely hit up the Celtics facility this weekend though, tomorrows my last day of school before a long weekend.

One thing I wanted to remember to share was something I got from Point Guard College and I remember thinking about it as I was wrapping up my summer reading before school started.

LIFE ISN'T FAIR.

That was the truth they tried to pound into us by deliberately making terrible calls, cutting no slack and making us do stuff we'd think was pointless. And in reality, I'd probably still be on my couch trying to read a book and complaining at the same time. Here's what I mean:

A lot of people really just don't care about your basketball dreams and goals. I know for a fact my teachers and parents don't care that all the work they assigned bit into my time in the gym. Kids who want to run a pickup game and take up the only baskets at your local court don't care that you want to shoot around and actually improve.

Life isn't fair but you have to accept that. Try and stop complaining about anything: just like in a basketball game, complaining about something that happens WON'T change the call. What happened just happened and the best way to recover from that is to stay on your grind.

Don't waste time and energy complaining or trying to feel sorry for yourself, take action and make it happen. Learn to be unstoppable so that no matter what happens, whether it's pouring out or you have to read 50 pages by tomorrow that you do it and you still have time to train. No one is going to tell you you're free from working and you can knock yourself out training for basketball. You have to do that yourself!

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

yes yes we just need to focus on our goals and have the right state of mind.

By the way, what do you think is the ultimate basketball training program to do in 1 hour? My time is getting used up by school now. First day of school and I'm aleady coming home at 4 pm without any extra classes(joining basketball prob next week). I could stretch it to a max of 2 hours though.

Yea I know I need to work on my attitude. I am kind of a toot to my own horn kind of guy... so I like doing things myself. Obv I don't know everything tho. I also have a bad attitude if I'm missing shots in practice. I feel like I should make dam near everything if nobody is guarding me. Life indeed isn't fair and when things go array it's all about how you respond. It's better to have a good attitude and move on.

Update from yesterday: Shot 50 3's. I was planning to make 50 but I realized it would've been counter intuitive because after a while I was getting fatigued and form was getting sloppier. I had just lifted so I focused on getting good form in and if the shots went in, great.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyflay
    yes yes we just need to focus on our goals and have the right state of mind.

By the way, what do you think is the ultimate basketball training program to do in 1 hour? My time is getting used up by school now. First day of school and I'm aleady coming home at 4 pm without any extra classes(joining basketball prob next week). I could stretch it to a max of 2 hours though.
    1 hour: What are you trying to get better at? I'd pick one or two skills you feel you really should improve and just hit those hard. It's alot more efficient than trying to do everything for too little time.

For example, if you chose shooting and passing, I'd spent 35-40 minutes shooting and 20 minutes passing, emphasizing the left hand. Have an 80/20 split working your offhand for passing/ball handling because when you work your left you also work your right subconsciously.

Don't forget to warm up and stretch when finished.

Ya know it's hard to say with practice cus I'm still trying to find out how to do it best. I'm still not practicing, but with my friend, it seems like just working on 1 or 2 things for about 60-90 minutes works the best. He's not the most natural player so he really has to do things over and over again if he doesn't get the move from the beginning. For example, on Thursday I showed him this move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y580jXnbp4I and it wasn't coming naturally to him at first.... Quite a few times he went behind his back instead cus that's what felt natural. It took him about 20 minutes to get it where I felt like it would actually work... then for the next 20 he just kept practicing that move and pulling up for a jumper... then I had him do that move, go under his legs again, go right, and then finish with a layup... then the move and cross over left and finish with either pull up jumper or a lefty layup. That took up about 65 minutes, and then for the next 15 minutes he just did the move and then did whatever he wanted to ... so either pull up, cross over, cross over to spin... anything.

So yea that took about 80 minutes... and the whole time he was doing one move and then counter moves based off that move... and to me it was necessary and a great practice session. Now he has a new move that he can continue to practice and then use in games.

So yea I honestly think that just getting in some warm up shooting and ball handling, and then picking 1 or 2 moves that you really want to hit hard might be the best way to do it. Once you feel completely comfortable with the move, then you can take it to 1 on 1 with a buddy, and then a game.