Page 152 of 153 FirstFirst ... 52102142149150151152153 LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2288
    NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    If you want to go back 20-25 years, explain to me why you're better than the following. This is just off the top off my head. Your claim to fame is ONE finals appearance and one final four in the past 23 years:

Kentucky
    Syracuse
    Kansas
    Duke
    UCLA
    Florida
    North Carolina
    Michigan State
    Michigan
    Butler
    Connecticut
    Purdue
    Villanova
    Indiana
    Maryland
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Ohio State

Honorable mention Cincinnati, UNLV, VCU, Louisville, Georgetown, probably more.

Show me the tiers where you're above 3rd.
    You arbitrarily picked 23 years as a marker, though 23 years ago we did make a Final Four (1989), which would make 2 Final Fours. Why not just arbitrarily pick 28 years and then we'll have made 3 Final Fours?

The way you structure your argument is based on arbitrary years that work for it. Nice confirmation bias in action there.

We aren't as great as some Illinois fans think we are, but certainly people like you out to set to make it seem like we're nothing at all is just retarded.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
    Same could have been said about Mark Few at Gonzaga. Look how it turned out for him. Not saying Shaka is the same, but both did it with mostly low tier high school prospects. Gonzaga is consistently in the tourney and have been doing well.
    Is Mark Few a hot commodity these days? No he isn't. There is a reason for that and that is he may be getting to the tournament but he isn't doing anything else besides that. Making the tournament over and over and not going anywhere means very little these days. So if Shaka wants to be that good luck to him. He won't be getting lucrative offers for just making the tournament.

If you want to go back 20-25 years, explain to me why you're better than the following. This is just off the top off my head. Your claim to fame is ONE finals appearance and one final four in the past 23 years:

Kentucky
    Syracuse
    Kansas
    Duke
    UCLA
    Florida
    North Carolina
    Michigan State
    Michigan
    Butler
    Connecticut
    Purdue
    Villanova
    Indiana
    Maryland
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Ohio State

Honorable mention Cincinnati, UNLV, VCU, Louisville, Georgetown, probably more.

Show me the tiers where you're above 3rd.
    This post has so much fail.

Ok so you want to say all of these schools you listed have had more success in the last 20-25 years than Illinois. The schools off your list I'll give you are Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio State, Duke, UCLA, Florida, Michigan St, N. Carolina, Arizona, UConn.

The rest of those schools you mentioned, ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS? Now if you want to say in the last 5 years fine but there is no way Butler,VCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Maryland, Purdue, Villanova, Michigan, Indiana, Arkansas have been as good or better than Illinois in the last 20-25 years(since 1986-87 season).
    Let's go over the list:
    Purdue - 6 conference titles(reg. season), 19 tourney appearances, 7 Sweet 16, 2 Elite 8's, no Final fours

Louisville - 7 conference titles, 20 tourney appearances, 10 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, 1 Final Four, no title game

Butler - 10 conference titles, 10 tourney appearances, 4 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's, 2 Finals Fours, 2 title games, no championships

VCU - 5 conference titles, 5 tourney appearances, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Elite 8, 1 Final Four, no title game

Cincinnati - 10 conference titles, 16 tourney appearances, 5 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's, 1 Final Four, no champ. game

Villanova - 2 conference titles, 14 tourney appearances, 5 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's, 1 Final Four, no champ. game

Michigan - 1 conference title, *SOME OF THESE PROBABLY DON'T COUNT 13 tourney appearances, 5 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, 3 Final Fours, 3 title games, 1 national champ.

Indiana - 5 conference titles, 21 tourney appearances, 8 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's, 3 Final Fours, 2 champ. games, 1 national champ.

Arkansas - 7 conference titles (none since 94-95), 16 tourney appearances, 6 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, 3 Finals Fours, 2 champ. games, 1 national champ.

Maryland - 2 conference titles, 15 tourney appearances, 7 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's, 2 Final Fours, 1 champ. game, 1 national champ.

Georgetown - 7 conference titles, 17 tourney appearances, 7 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, 1 Final Four, no champ. game

UNLV - 8 conference titles(none since 99-00), 12 tourney appearances, 5 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, 3 Final Fours, 1 champ game, 1 national champ.

Illinois - 5 conference titles, 19 tourney appearances, 5 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's, 2 Final Fours, 1 champ. game.

So what makes you conclude that any of these schools has done more or is better than Illinois that you mentioned. i just laid out the best evidence you'll have and all of these schools are either fairly equal or less than what Illinois has done in the last 25 years.

OK give yourself one more final 4. You're reaching. It's not highly held position. No one gives a shit in the top two tiers about making the tournament. You're just proving my point. And so are the VCU and Butler coaches who currently have better programs.

Tier 3 at best, and you can't say other wise, if you want to pick 10 or 20 teams, it doesn't matter. Two Final 4's does not make one top 1-2 tier and apparently top coaching candidates agree with me.

Keep up your fantasy land that your program means anything. At least as a Michigan fan I know where we stand, and we have 3 final games and a championship in my lifetime. You guys got D-will; lol.

Maybe you can get Billy G to leave TT.

A Michigan fan who also roots for Kentucky? Yeah we know exactly where you stand you tool bag.

OK give yourself one more final 4. You're reaching. It's not highly held position. No one gives a shit in the top two tiers about making the tournament. You're just proving my point. And so are the VCU and Butler coaches who currently have better programs.

Tier 3 at best, and you can't say other wise, if you want to pick 10 or 20 teams, it doesn't matter. Two Final 4's does not make one top 1-2 tier and apparently top coaching candidates agree with me.

Keep up your fantasy land that your program means anything. At least as a Michigan fan I know where we stand, and we have 3 final games and a championship in my lifetime. You guys got D-will; lol.

Maybe you can get Billy G to leave TT.
    Can you read well. I gave you the last 20-25 years which is what YOU mentioned as a barometer for all the programs you listed you moron. I laid it out there for you: THE FACTS. You gave me some off the wall opinion that had no merit and still doesn't.

Good college starter

Groce from Ohio?

Kind of embarassing when a bottom of the SEC basketball school like South Carolina just made a significantly better hire than the flagship school of a basketball-rich state like Illinois.

Groce might pan out but his resume doesn't look nearly as good as Weber's did at S. Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    A Michigan fan who also roots for Kentucky? Yeah we know exactly where you stand you tool bag.
    I grew up in Michigan and went to Kentucky you douche. Keep talking. Your program is a never was and all this proves it.

Bill Self ain't walkin' through that door.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dak121
    Groce from Ohio?

Kind of embarassing when a bottom of the SEC basketball school like South Carolina just made a significantly better hire than the flagship school of a basketball-rich state like Illinois.

Groce might pan out but his resume doesn't look nearly as good as Weber's did at S. Illinois.
    Groce is a good hire and realistic Illini fans should not be disappointed whatsoever. I'd bet a good chunk of money that 3 years from now people realize that Frank Martin's a mediocre basketball mind at best and Groce is in the discussion for big jobs.

The thing with Frank Martin is if he could recruit to Kansas State like that, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to bring the same level recruits to South Carolina. I'm not sure if he will have more success at South Carolina than he did at Kansas State but I can see him equaling it and that should be enough for South Carolina people. If he can get them in the tournament every year and be a threat to make a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run every four or five years, South Carolina fans won't be able to complain.

I like the Groce hire for Illinois. He damn near took his team to the Elite 8 this year and they got in the tournament as a double digit seed a couple of years ago and beat Georgetown. He's not a sexy or flashy hire but I think it's a good one for Illinois. I have no idea what kind of recruiter he is but if he can get the Chicago area on lock I think he'll do just fine.

I grew up in Michigan and went to Kentucky you douche. Keep talking. Your program is a never was and all this proves it.

Bill Self ain't walkin' through that door.

I don't give a **** what your roots are or how you came to become a self-righteous asshole. Having reasons to be the fan of a team and being a huge tool bag are not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by wang4three; 03-28-2012 at 06:38 AM.

lol, beyond basketball when people try to say my program is better than yours... it's ****ing stupid. Even if it is, who cares?

Does that somehow make you a more valuable person?

Most of us have some investment in Illinois whether attending the school or having family that attended or just living nearby.

If the Illini were in the Final Four I wouldn't be more of a fan. I support Illinois basketball because I grew up in Urbana and used to go to all of the games.

Although I'm still mad at what is going on now.

You see what I mean, man? It's not about how good our team is or isn't. We are fans. We watch the games. We aren't on the team. We don't get any prize when they win. It's not like we go out and troll other fans like LOLOL MY TEAM BEAT URS.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by dak121
    Groce from Ohio?

WHAT HELL HAS FRANK MARTIN DONE? I'll tell you NOTHING. He hasn't done anything better than Groce. The guy to me is an underachiever and inherited what Bob Huggins built and from the looks of it went out and found the first job he could because he know the shit is about to hit fan at K State.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Honestly the only real home run hire would have been Shaka Smart, and that ship has sailed. After that, I'll wait and see till I pass judgement. You can't evaluate how good a hire is till they are at least two or three years in. You never know if a coach is going to pan out or not, big name or no big name.

I'm an Ohio alum and a huge Bobcats fan. You guys got yourself an EXCELLENT coach. He is a superb motivator, great with X's/O's, and in dealing with various personalities. I have followed him very closely. Not bitter that he left, as I realize that a place like OU is a stepping stone.

Best of luck with the Illini.