Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    don't got a vid but here's a pic

another 1

Kobe's like "Dayum! That cracker can dunk?!?"

Well, in all seriousness, yes, he can, as answered by a lot of the other posters here. When you're 6'8 and have a standing reach of 8'9, you don't need too much vert to be able to dunk the ball in. Dunking is said to be pretty tiring, although with all the people he's tasked to defend, I doubt he's too tired. It's probably just not his style to do so.

The End Is Near

I'm used to seeing Kobe hate, Lebron hate, Dwight hate, Nash hate, KG hate, etc. on here, but... freaking Shane Battier? Of all the players in the league, you decide to hate on one of the most likable players currently playing. This one just puzzles me.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalyptic0n3
    I'm used to seeing Kobe hate, Lebron hate, Dwight hate, Nash hate, KG hate, etc. on here, but... freaking Shane Battier? Of all the players in the league, you decide to hate on one of the most likable players currently playing. This one just puzzles me.
    yeah you're right. my bad. he's mr. nice guy. mr. hustle yada yada.

those guys are future HOFers BTW. not to be mentioned in the same breath. even AC Green yoked one every now and then. and he was virgin. geesh.

found this on youtube:

zaleenbaba (8 months ago)
    +2
    i didn't know that he can dunk. he doesn't do that in the nba

anyway this started for me when I heard he was another Grant Hill. I kept watching and waiting and realized this guy couldn't hold G. Hill's jockstrap.

I know he "can" dunk but refuses to go in hard on PFs and Cs or anyone. I just want him to pull one back and put his nuts in somebody's face JUST ONCE!

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Kobe's like "Dayum! That cracker can dunk?!?"
    When Battier can't dunk, he's white.

When Battier's a great defender, he's black.

[QUOTE=Rafael Delaget

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Penny4MVP2k's Avatar

I think this should put the debates regarding his athleticism and his dunking ability to rest:

via http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...062301aac.html
    "Shane has gotten better in his career and he will continue to get better on using the dribble to get shots," Drum added. "There is some rap about what kind of athlete he is. Well, he's not a Vince Carter or a Corey Maggette type of athlete, but he's good enough and he's better than a lot of athletes in this league."

Battier's individual workouts may have changed the opinions of some general managers. In Atlanta, Battier beat Michigan State underclassman Jason Richardson in a "Superman" drill, dunking the ball 70 straight times without missing or quitting.

At the other end of the court, Richardson dunked 63 times before falling to the floor from exhaustion.

"I could have kept going but I messed up my footing and missed a dunk," Battier said. "After that I turned to the GM and said, `I guess I'm a little more athletic than you thought, huh?' He smiled and walked away."

The feat "doesn't surprise me at all," Drum said. "In a lot of ways that's not pure athleticism, it's that mentally he is tougher and more prepared than anyone in this draft."
    Granted this was done around 2001, but considering that he hasn't suffered any major injuries, he couldn't have fallen off too hard...

Value Ape.

So the answer is yes.

I've seen Shane Battier block Brandon Roy from behind when Roy had the ball above the rim.

I would be anything that he can dunk.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.
    Stupidest thing I've read all day.

You had (maybe) valid points for most of that post, but the last line is basically "he's a disgrace because he doesn't dunk"

how is he a disgrace for not dunking?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I never would have guessed that even a quiet, professional player like Battier has haters.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I never would have guessed that even a quiet, professional player like Battier has haters.
    As long as there are children who follow the NBA, it will happen.

One other thing is that dunking also takes more energy, -wasted- energy, to dunk unnecessarily. And let's face it, many dunks are unnecessary but they're still spectacular displays of athleticism to enjoy. But why waste your legs trying to dunk when you've got to chase around your opponent's best scorer all night? That's not his job. He doesn't have anything to prove, he doesn't get caught up in juvenile ego and headgames, he's not concerned with padding stats or getting on posters, he just plays to win. It's not flashy, it's not pretty, it doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he also isn't a detriment to his own team. Every team needs a guy like Battier. He's an intelligent, hard working, easy to please glue guy, what team wouldn't want him?

I guess I could write another 10,000 words about how pathetic, ignorant and clueless it is to equate dunking and scoring with being a great NBA player, and to eschew both means you suck, regardless of how good you are at other things or how important you are to team chemistry and winning. But even the majority of people here on ISH already know this and supports this point of view. We all recognize that it is an immature, juvenile point of view that will evolve and eventually mature with time and experience.

South Africa 2010

OP is right. I mean WTF is Shane doing in the league. Cant dunk, cant create his own shot, never has averaged double digits points in a season. Heck, Gerald fuc king green is easily a better player than Shane. Forget that bull**** hand in the face crap that doesnt work, at the end of the day people want to see highlights. Highlights=winning games.
    Houston without Shane= 20 win season
    Houston with Shane = 40 win season.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMG
    When Battier can't dunk, he's white.

When Battier's a great defender, he's black.

Yessir!

Okay, you got me there.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JalenRawley
    As long as there are children who follow the NBA, it will happen.

One other thing is that dunking also takes more energy, -wasted- energy, to dunk unnecessarily. And let's face it, many dunks are unnecessary but they're still spectacular displays of athleticism to enjoy. But why waste your legs trying to dunk when you've got to chase around your opponent's best scorer all night? That's not his job. He doesn't have anything to prove, he doesn't get caught up in juvenile ego and headgames, he's not concerned with padding stats or getting on posters, he just plays to win. It's not flashy, it's not pretty, it doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he also isn't a detriment to his own team. Every team needs a guy like Battier. He's an intelligent, hard working, easy to please glue guy, what team wouldn't want him?

I guess I could write another 10,000 words about how pathetic, ignorant and clueless it is to equate dunking and scoring with being a great NBA player, and to eschew both means you suck, regardless of how good you are at other things or how important you are to team chemistry and winning. But even the majority of people here on ISH already know this and supports this point of view. We all recognize that it is an immature, juvenile point of view that will evolve and eventually mature with time and experience.
    Juvenile? hardly. been watching this game a LONG time and never seen a guy with Shane's length and body type who won't throw it down hard on a big. show me where nice 6' 8" guys that don't dunk (including defensive stoppers) win ships in this league. I appreciate intangibles as much as the next guy. I could go on about great defenders and rebounders you probably never even heard of but this a man's game not the WNBA.

Has nothing to do with him being an intelligent player. he just doesn't have the explosiveness.

"Throw it down young man. throw it down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG49uVLoVUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1p46_uc7Q

OP had me for a quick second.

I could see duke 1/2-having a moral aversion to dunking....on some "It's unecessary" type sh!t.