Page 149 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4999139146147148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2288

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Couldn't decide if Weber was going to cry at the postgame presser, laugh maniacally while toussling his own hair, or shoot himself in front of everyone like that politician from PA did a few years ago.

Strange moment.
    Yeah it proves how much he cares. It's ****ed up that Illini fans are actually talking shit about him. This dude takes Illini bball as serious as anyone.

I bet there isn't a moment that he's not thinking about how to make our team and players better.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Yeah it proves how much he cares. It's ****ed up that Illini fans are actually talking shit about him. This dude takes Illini bball as serious as anyone.

I bet there isn't a moment that he's not thinking about how to make our team and players better.

-Smak
    Yeah, but it looks to me like those minutes are coming to an end. No way he's there next year. He lost this team.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Yeah, but it looks to me like those minutes are coming to an end. No way he's there next year. He lost this team.
    No doubt. I will still follow him. I really liked Lavin and was happy to see him get St. John's rolling last year. I hope Bruce does well in his next job.

-Smak

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

-Smak
    When you're fighting for your job, you better be thinking about how to perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    When you're fighting for your job, you better be thinking about how to perform better.
    Yea but he was always performing better. That's the sad thing about guys like Weber. They come in and give their all and then shit starts going wrong and people are like YOU BETTER SHAPE UP! It's like man I was already giving everything I could from day 1.

It's weird... fans. I'd like to think of my fanhood as more of a focus on the Illini. It doesn't decide who I like or don't like. I only like people I would have really liked in real life. Like ****ing McCamey that dude was trash... but Weber, I think I could have kicked it with him. I bet he could teach me shit about basketball that I had never thought of. And that's crazy cuz I think about bball all of the time.

It's just sad when you get a guy like Weber... I can not believe they are going to be able to find someone better, but if they do hey... good for them.

-Smak

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Yea but he was always performing better. That's the sad thing about guys like Weber. They come in and give their all and then shit starts going wrong and people are like YOU BETTER SHAPE UP! It's like man I was already giving everything I could from day 1.

It's weird... fans. I'd like to think of my fanhood as more of a focus on the Illini. It doesn't decide who I like or don't like. I only like people I would have really liked in real life. Like ****ing McCamey that dude was trash... but Weber, I think I could have kicked it with him. I bet he could teach me shit about basketball that I had never thought of. And that's crazy cuz I think about bball all of the time.

It's just sad when you get a guy like Weber... I can not believe they are going to be able to find someone better, but if they do hey... good for them.

-Smak
    You weird me out man. You really like Weber that much? To me it sounds like you are more a Weber fan than an Illini basketball fan which is said in itself. I will always be an Illini fan first, no coach especially this current one is going to have me this torn as you are just because you think he's likable. I don't get what you think is so cool about Weber. He is one the most douchery coaches I have seen in a while. He doesn't relate to his players at all and says some strange things to the media. Like this recent news that he admitted this season has been tough. You are just now realizing this Bruce, what's next you are going to tell us the sky is blue.

Weber hasn't done anything to continue to be coach after this season and what mystifies even more is our last AD giving Weber an extension, for WHAT! Missing the tournament and going to NIT. And blaming McCamey,look I think he underachieved throughout his career but if it wasn't for McCamey in some games last year we miss the tournament again. You blaming the players is ****ing joke, the players have changed in the last 6 years, the coach has stayed the same and the results have stayed the same or worse. Getting rid of this bum is the first step in improving Illini basketball and getting it back to where it should be: competing for Big 10 title and playing in the NCAA tournament. We will be better for it in the long run.

-Smak
    Have you ever worked full-time? For awhile? If you have, there are plenty of people you will befriend but they're just not good at their jobs.

No one is saying that Weber is an evil dude. They're saying he's not good at his job. Which is true. He's been our coach since I was a freshman at Illinois and it's been 9 years later now man. Only really three or maybe four of those years have been to the standard that Illinois basketball has set for itself. If you're operating at 50% or over 50% below expectations.. how can you really expect to keep your job? If your subordinate only met expectations 50% of the time, do you just let him keep his job or find someone else who can be performing at a higher level of output? I'm not being fickle here either. It's been 9 ****ing years. He's had more than adequate amount of time since Self's recruits to put together a consistently winning program. Don't act like he hasn't.

No one said he's dumb or lacks intelligence regarding basketball. He's just not the right fit for this job. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand. Loyalty shouldn't blind you from the brutal facts of reality.

And the reality is that we're a bad team. We've been a bad team for most of Weber's career. And when we're struggling to just make the tournament instead of getting a 1-8 seed, there's a serious problem. Just because you like someone doesn't mean they're good at their job. It's just the facts. It's just business. No harsh feelings but the partnership is over and it's time to move on.

He'll find another job. He'll be ok. There are programs out there that would kill for a guy like Weber. For us, there is better out there. We've had better and it's crazier for you to think that we don't deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Have you ever worked full-time? For awhile? If you have, there are plenty of people you will befriend but they're just not good at their jobs.

No one is saying that Weber is an evil dude. They're saying he's not good at his job. Which is true. He's been our coach since I was a freshman at Illinois and it's been 9 years later now man. Only really three or maybe four of those years have been to the standard that Illinois basketball has set for itself. If you're operating at 50% or over 50% below expectations.. how can you really expect to keep your job? If your subordinate only met expectations 50% of the time, do you just let him keep his job or find someone else who can be performing at a higher level of output? I'm not being fickle here either. It's been 9 ****ing years. He's had more than adequate amount of time since Self's recruits to put together a consistently winning program. Don't act like he hasn't.

No one said he's dumb or lacks intelligence regarding basketball. He's just not the right fit for this job. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand. Loyalty shouldn't blind you from the brutal facts of reality.

And the reality is that we're a bad team. We've been a bad team for most of Weber's career. And when we're struggling to just make the tournament instead of getting a 1-8 seed, there's a serious problem. Just because you like someone doesn't mean they're good at their job. It's just the facts. It's just business. No harsh feelings but the partnership is over and it's time to move on.

He'll find another job. He'll be ok. There are programs out there that would kill for a guy like Weber. For us, there is better out there. We've had better and it's crazier for you to think that we don't deserve better.
    I think you can scroll back in this same thread and find the time you used the exact same argument. You can probably find my response as well.

Weber will be OK. lol. Exactly, there are programs that would kill for him. I'm selfish in worrying about Weber. We are going to regress even more without him. Eventually, we will get our footing, but the way this team is coming together, the way we are already so talented and going to lose none of the main Illini guys next year, we are going to have this team... that is ridiculous.

Assuming that Leonard doesn't go, but I think he will, our team will be sickeningly stacked. And our new coach will have the same expectations as Weber does but without a chance to really teach his system.

But really, it can't be compared to your 9-5 job because Weber is not a worker. He is in an authority position. It's like when people start talking about impeaching the president because the economy is bad when they don't understand that the economy is something larger than just the president's power. And, in the same way, to go through change in that type of a crisis just creates more chaos.

-Smak

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

WTF are these Reggie Theus rumors?

I know it may be a long answer, but can any Illinois fans explain at what exact point did things go wrong for Bruce Weber and the Illinois basketball program?

Seems like a long time ago but this was a team who won 37 games and was a runner-up in a NC Game.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Twitter noise says Weber's officially gone.

edit: ESPN's got it, Weber's gone. Now hire Reggie Theus. Please.
    Last edited by InspiredLebowski; 03-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    I know it may be a long answer, but can any Illinois fans explain at what exact point did things go wrong for Bruce Weber and the Illinois basketball program?

Seems like a long time ago but this was a team who won 37 games and was a runner-up in a NC Game.
    Not an Illinois fan but in college (both football and basketball) recruiting is everything. If you can't bring in great players in the big conferences, success will be difficult to sustain.

Weber is a good coach, but from the little bit I've read about him and Illinois basketball they don't do a very good job of recruiting Chicago.

Honestly, a program like Illinois should be up there with Ohio State and Michigan State in that conference. They just need a coach that can potentially recruit like a Thad Matta.

I think you can scroll back in this same thread and find the time you used the exact same argument. You can probably find my response as well.

Weber will be OK. lol. Exactly, there are programs that would kill for him. I'm selfish in worrying about Weber. We are going to regress even more without him. Eventually, we will get our footing, but the way this team is coming together, the way we are already so talented and going to lose none of the main Illini guys next year, we are going to have this team... that is ridiculous.

Assuming that Leonard doesn't go, but I think he will, our team will be sickeningly stacked. And our new coach will have the same expectations as Weber does but without a chance to really teach his system.

But really, it can't be compared to your 9-5 job because Weber is not a worker. He is in an authority position. It's like when people start talking about impeaching the president because the economy is bad when they don't understand that the economy is something larger than just the president's power. And, in the same way, to go through change in that type of a crisis just creates more chaos.

-Smak
    Comparing a head basketball coach to the president is more egregious than a manager of a firm if you ask me. Besides, no matter what job you work, you will have external factors beyond your control, so you're analogy is just terrible overall.

I know you're a Weber enthusiast, and I can understand that. I hope he succeeds. But sometimes you need to fail to learn your lesson. Everyone does. No one is just a constant hit of success.

Quote Originally Posted by dak121
    Not an Illinois fan but in college (both football and basketball) recruiting is everything. If you can't bring in great players in the big conferences, success will be difficult to sustain.

Weber is a good coach, but from the little bit I've read about him and Illinois basketball they don't do a very good job of recruiting Chicago.

Honestly, a program like Illinois should be up there with Ohio State and Michigan State in that conference. They just need a coach that can potentially recruit like a Thad Matta.
    This is not exactly true. While Weber had his troubles recruiting to start his Illini career, he has certainly turned it around as of late. DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, Meyers Leonard, Jereme Richmond are high quality recruits.

Since the hiring of Jerrence Howard, our relationship with Chicago has been strong. He's a fantastic recruiter and now our Interim Head Coach. He'll be a great Head Coach one day (hopefully with Illinois).

But the reason Weber was fired was expectations. We're a storied program with a history of winning. Making the tournament is an expected. With Weber, we had to guess whether we're making the tournament and we have only won 1 tournament game since Dee Brown and James Augustin graduated. 1 tournament game since the 2006 season. We've missed the tournament 3 times including this season and he has a below .500 record in the Big 10. Given the depth and talent of this team, we shouldn't be this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Twitter noise says Weber's officially gone.

edit: ESPN's got it, Weber's gone. Now hire Reggie Theus. Please.
    I think I may be ok with Jerrence getting the HC job though he needs more experience. If not him, then Shaka Smart please. I know nothing about Reggie except he was terrible with the Kings