Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball Handling!!

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

Default Ball Handling!!

I need so much help with my ball handling. what are some things that'll help it especially my left hand? i heard using a tennis ball, but im not sure what to do aha. but yeahh i need help with that and i cannot make left handed layups i know it sounds pathetic but i just cant seem to do it. appreciate any of the help isn

Default Re: Ball Handling!!

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    I need so much help with my ball handling. what are some things that'll help it especially my left hand? i heard using a tennis ball, but im not sure what to do aha. but yeahh i need help with that and i cannot make left handed layups i know it sounds pathetic but i just cant seem to do it. appreciate any of the help isn
    try and dribble the tennis ball as many times without losing it or dropping it. dont look at the tennis ball. if you cant dont it at first you can look but the point is to train from scratch without having to look at the ball

a lot of people don't make left hand layups because they havent trained their body and footwork to be comfortable in that situation. its really simple. practice your left hand layups at game speed and from different places on the court and off of different moves. again, if you cant do it at first, do it slow and work up to game speed.

i found that carrying around a basketball with me at all times helped improve my touch and feel for the ball. a lot people dont actually have bad handles, they just dont have a good feel for the ball and it forces them to lose the ball or pick up their dribble under pressure.

hope that helped. maybe post a vid of your dribbling and layups, im sure a lot of posters would give you some good feedback

Hume>Kunt.

watch kobe.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    try and dribble the tennis ball as many times without losing it or dropping it. dont look at the tennis ball. if you cant dont it at first you can look but the point is to train from scratch without having to look at the ball

a lot of people don't make left hand layups because they havent trained their body and footwork to be comfortable in that situation. its really simple. practice your left hand layups at game speed and from different places on the court and off of different moves. again, if you cant do it at first, do it slow and work up to game speed.

i found that carrying around a basketball with me at all times helped improve my touch and feel for the ball. a lot people dont actually have bad handles, they just dont have a good feel for the ball and it forces them to lose the ball or pick up their dribble under pressure.

hope that helped. maybe post a vid of your dribbling and layups, im sure a lot of posters would give you some good feedback
    then put the tennis ball in your right hand and toss it up and catch it while dribbling a basketball with your left hand. Also dribble two balls at once.

As for the layups I also agree, work on your feet and start close to the basket then move back as you become more comfortable.

thanks for the help. also when i have the ball in my right and go around my back but directly to my left i can do it but on the other side i cant. my left hand is pretty much useless

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

practice, practice and more practice. The most important thing is to actually use and train your weaker hand. A lot of streetballers don't even bother to train their weaker hand. once you start to train your left hand it will get better. Of course it's very difficult to get it to a point where your left hand is just as good as your right hand, but minor improvements actually can be achieved pretty quickly.

and as somebody has mentioned before it also helps if you carry a ball around a lot. I think my handles improved the most when I used to dribble in our house all the time. But now I live in an apartment and can't do it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift4u
    practice, practice and more practice. The most important thing is to actually use and train your weaker hand. A lot of streetballers don't even bother to train their weaker hand. once you start to train your left hand it will get better. Of course it's very difficult to get it to a point where your left hand is just as good as your right hand, but minor improvements actually can be achieved pretty quickly.

and as somebody has mentioned before it also helps if you carry a ball around a lot. I think my handles improved the most when I used to dribble in our house all the time. But now I live in an apartment and can't do it anymore
    what are some drills/things i could do to get it better? and should i do a daily routine of the same thing to get it better? also, ahaha how bout left hand layups? thanks a ton man

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    what are some drills/things i could do to get it better? and should i do a daily routine of the same thing to get it better? also, ahaha how bout left hand layups? thanks a ton man
    well it depends whether you have a court to work out or whether you just practice at home or somewhere. On a court you could use cones or chairs to simulate defenders and dribble around them and then finish at the rim. try to practice sudden changes of direction on as little space as possible, do crossovers etc and then go for a layup. Do each drill to both sides using both hands. And yes you should work a lot on your left handed layups. It's really important that you can finish with both hands because very often defenders will make you go to your weaker hand. If you do layups from the left side with your right hand they're easier to block. so try to always use your left hand (unless you have a uncontested layup)

I'm sure you can find a lot of ball handling exercises on youtube.

I got better with my left hand by forcing myself to only use my left hand for shootingarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift4u
    well it depends whether you have a court to work out or whether you just practice at home or somewhere. On a court you could use cones or chairs to simulate defenders and dribble around them and then finish at the rim. try to practice sudden changes of direction on as little space as possible, do crossovers etc and then go for a layup. Do each drill to both sides using both hands. And yes you should work a lot on your left handed layups. It's really important that you can finish with both hands because very often defenders will make you go to your weaker hand. If you do layups from the left side with your right hand they're easier to block. so try to always use your left hand (unless you have a uncontested layup)

I'm sure you can find a lot of ball handling exercises on youtube.
    yeah i go to the y and usually they dont have any body there. id feel like a fool practicing dribbling at the y

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I got better with my left hand by forcing myself to only use my left hand for shootingarounds.
    I try to get out and ball in some type of fashion 4 times a week. Once a week I primarily focus on my left hand for everything. Layups, free throws, jumpers, runners, handling, footwork, and whatnot. Helps some.

I'm a coaches son so I can use my left hand just as well as my right hand in most basketball situations. So I'm below average with both

College superstar

Buy a weighted basketball and do drills with it.

At first, your handles seem sloppy because you're not used to how hard you're bouncing the ball. Your dribbling becomes a lot quicker after you train with a weighted ball, and eventually, your handles improve drastically just from developing a harder/quicker dribble with the weighted ball.

Back to Business

i think im weird......i shoot better going to my left but i drive better going to my right.lol....im right handed....i can take one dribble left and pull up like melo.....when i go right tho i go hard to the basket.is that strange?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1
    i think im weird......i shoot better going to my left but i drive better going to my right.lol....im right handed....i can take one dribble left and pull up like melo.....when i go right tho i go hard to the basket.is that strange?
    It's about your balance. When you go right, you're more comfortable so you go hard and have more forward momentum so it's harder for you to pull up going that direction.

Same thing applied to going left. You don't go as hard to the basket going left because you're not as comfortable with it, so you are more upright, making it easier for you to pull up.

Samurai Swoosh

Watch Kyrie / CP3