Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast

Default Re: Off-Topic(Anything non-Knicks related) Respectful Of Course!!

Does anyone know something about college programs in NY ?

For example if I wanted to become an engineer,get a degree in information technology,computer science,maths or something like that would I be able to study in NY cheaply ?
    Maybe there are some benefits (like accommodation for students).

Just curious.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

It isn't cheap by any stretch, but by being an international student, you would definitely get taken care of in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    It isn't cheap by any stretch, but by being an international student, you would definitely get taken care of in the states.
    Can you be more precise ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    Can you be more precise ?
    Research and find schools that don't have alot of foreign students, as they probably would be more likely to enhance the student body with a little more global diversity, then they'll devote some money to it.

Google up "Fulbright Scholar Program through the Council for International Exchange for Scholars".

It's one of the most popular that I can think of, and my oldest son wants to study in Japan, so he's looking into pretty extensively, to help me save some bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Research and find schools that don't have alot of foreign students, as they probably would be more likely to enhance the student body with a little more global diversity, then they'll devote some money to it.

Google up "Fulbright Scholar Program through the Council for International Exchange for Scholars".

It's one of the most popular that I can think of, and my oldest son wants to study in Japan, so he's looking into pretty extensively, to help me save some bucks.
    How old is your son if I can know ?
    Probably the same age as me,18.

Thanks for you help,I'll google it. If you can ask your son a little more about it (he probably knows more than you do) I would be very thankful.

I know it's a long shot and unrealistic but studying in the USA would be dream come true.
    I know the language pretty well (at least I think I do) so it wouldn't be an obstacle.

On the other hand,how's your kid planning to learn Japanese ?
    I don't think it's an easy language to learn

How old is your son if I can know ?
    Probably the same age as me,18.

Thanks for you help,I'll google it. If you can ask your son a little more about it (he probably knows more than you do) I would be very thankful.

I know it's a long shot and unrealistic but studying in the USA would be dream come true.
    I know the language pretty well (at least I think I do) so it wouldn't be an obstacle.

On the other hand,how's your kid planning to learn Japanese ?
    I don't think it's an easy language to learn
    My oldest son is 17, and will be 18 in June.

You'd be surprised how well those Rosetta Stone courses work if you really try them out, and stick with them.

He actually is pretty fluent in Japanese, of course not like the natives, but enough to be able to communicate, my oldest daughters both did the German and Italian courses, and my wife has the Spanish set.

I don't have the patience for it, but I can speak some Spanish just because of my work and business.

As far as the scholar program, he can't go now under the scholarship.

The minimum requirement is a bachelors degree, so this is later on for him.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

You should go to a CUNY. They are low cost and very helpful for non traditional students. Also, you should see about scholarship and sponsorships in watever country you r in. I work at a college and most international students there find some sort of aid. The key is persistence. Theres so much free money out there. You just have to bust ur ass to find it. Shoot, theres a scholarship for being left handed.

Thanks to both of your guys. I will research that.
    I know it's a long shot but I have nothing to lose.

Thanks to both of your guys. I will research that.
    I know it's a long shot but I have nothing to lose.
    Its not as farfetched as you think. Ppl come to the US to study all the time. Furthermore, there is an organization thats designed to evaluate and compare foreign grades for schools here to find their appropriate equivalents. In this regard, you can sometimes get credits transferred into american universities.

I posted this on my Facebook and thought I'd share it with you guys. I try not to get to politically charged up, especially on here. I really enjoy talking sports with you guy but I thought you guys might like to read this really quick:

I don't begrudge or disagree with anyone's support or illumination of social issues. I think part of the BEAUTY of social media is the ability to communicate and share on an extremely large platform. However, the BEAST side of social media is when ppl do things just because it's trendy. School yourself on an issue.The stuff Obama talks about, Cornell West has been saying for years. Before Trayvon Martin's untimely death, there was Danroy Henry, Kenneth Harding, Sean Bell etc. I'm just saying, are ppl spreading things because they are genuinely concerned about the issues or because it's the "cool thing to do" ? It's fine to "be Trayvon Martin" but every once in a while, be Kenneth Harding, Danroy Henry etc too while your at it

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I don't begrudge or disagree with anyone's support or illumination of social issues. I think part of the BEAUTY of social media is the ability to communicate and share on an extremely large platform. However, the BEAST side of social media is when ppl do things just because it's trendy. School yourself on an issue.The stuff Obama talks about, Cornell West has been saying for years. Before Trayvon Martin's untimely death, there was Danroy Henry, Kenneth Harding, Sean Bell etc. I'm just saying, are ppl spreading things because they are genuinely concerned about the issues or because it's the "cool thing to do" ? It's fine to "be Trayvon Martin" but every once in a while, be Kenneth Harding, Danroy Henry etc too while your at it
    We're a trend culture. Everybody is about the latest sneakers, the hot namebrand, the "in fashion" statement. No social cause has stuck in years. Even save the planet has died out - the thought of beach weather in the winter is now accomodating. I was speaking to a class of 11th graders and they were asking each other about what was the Ozone!!! Here today and gone tomorrow. I do think it is important to teach history correctly because all things outside of that framework is considered fashionable. If folks don't learn about Emmit Till in school then this Trayvon thing becomes a thing of the moment. People don't bring their hearts and values to what's happening in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    We're a trend culture. Everybody is about the latest sneakers, the hot namebrand, the "in fashion" statement. No social cause has stuck in years. Even save the planet has died out - the thought of beach weather in the winter is now accomodating. I was speaking to a class of 11th graders and they were asking each other about what was the Ozone!!! Here today and gone tomorrow. I do think it is important to teach history correctly because all things outside of that framework is considered fashionable. If folks don't learn about Emmit Till in school then this Trayvon thing becomes a thing of the moment. People don't bring their hearts and values to what's happening in the news.
    Great post! Didn't even read it until today. It's actually crazy how much Till even looks like Martin yet ppl aren't knowledgeable enough to see the similarities. Sad world we live in. Like you said, beach weather in the winter yet Republicans tell us to ignore climate change

Anyone see the Nets new logo and gear? That $h!t is coooooorrrrrnnyyyyy! lmao Super lame. I guess the plan on going black and white too.

NBA rookie of the year

I like it. Although there was a fan-made photoshop alteration that was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    I like it. Although there was a fan-made photoshop alteration that was better.
    Its a rip off of the Raiders logo with a Times New Roman font. Not to mention, you cant get more dull than black and white.