Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The tweets were disgusting and I have nothing but rage toward those who issued them. If you want to talk about the specifics of the case or those involved, either directly by allegedly doing the deed or indirectly by talking about it on the Internet, I'm game... And I'm sure we will come to the same conclusions.

I can't describe to you the level of disdain I have for those kids.

What I'm responding to are these broad strokes being used on an entire community without an iota of proof to back-up claims of a city-wide cover-up. Obviously, I'm going to respond to that, because while I no longer live or work in the area, I still consider myself a member of that community and many of my loved ones (family and friends) live or are from there.

These accusations aren't just about some random place I've never heard of. I know the area intimately and I even know some of the people being wrongfully implicated. Of course I'm going to speak to that. It has nothing to do with football.
    You should reserve judgement as well before you defend those people. We all just have to wait and see if that high school is like Penn State.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    That makes sense. When I was stating that I disliked the people of the town, I wasn't accusing them of being accomplices. It was more the lack of support for the victim that I was hearing. I'd still like to see more of a voice of outrage on the part of supporters for the victim in the town in the media. I'm aware the media can manipulate that stuff, but with enough of a push, their voices can be heard, which would also bring more integrity to the town that feels their names are being dragged through the mud.
    The city has been put completely on the defensive by the way this has been handled in the media, myself included... And I don't even live there any more. Still, you will find plenty of support for her from Steubenville residents on social media like Facebook and Twitter... And the rally that was held last week consisted of mostly Steubenville people. That wasn't how it was portrayed because it didn't fit the media narrative, but I happen to know it was the case. There was a massive organizational effort in Steubenville to get people out and to support the girl, many of whom I'm friends with on FB.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

The city has been put completely on the defensive by the way this has been handled in the media, myself included... And I don't even live there any more. Still, you will find plenty of support for her from Steubenville residents on social media like Facebook and Twitter... And the rally that was held last week consisted of mostly Steubenville people. That wasn't how it was portrayed because it didn't fit the media narrative, but I happen to know it was the case. There was a massive organizational effort in Steubenville to get people out and to support the girl, many of whom I'm friends with on FB.
    Well, that is certainly good to hear.

Banned

In a small community like that, somebody usually knows what everyone is up to. Who supplied the kids with drugs? Small community like that, they should be able to know who brings drugs into that town.

We don't know what's going to happen. It may open up a new can of worms. More things may come out about that community.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    You should reserve judgement as well before you defend those people. We all just have to wait and see if that high school is like Penn State.
    I'm not defending any of the people with involvement in this thing. The coach, the sheriff... They aren't on trial. They haven't been formally charged with anything, because there is no evidence they did anything wrong.

I do agree that everyone should reserve judgement until the trial. Unfortunately, that cat is kind of out of the bag, at this point.

How many of the aggressors have been booted from the High School? How much public shaming do they receive on a daily basis?

Or are they still just the High School Football (or Baseball) heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    In a small community like that, somebody usually knows what everyone is up to. Who supplied the kids with drugs? Small community like that, they should be able to know who brings drugs into that town.

We don't know what's going to happen. It may open up a new can of worms. More things may come out about that community.
    There are no accusations of drugs being involved, as far as I know. There was allegedly alcohol at the party. Haven't heard anything beyond that.

And, Steubenville has big-city issues. Drugs have been rampant for decades. It would probably be easier for kids to get than alcohol, to be completely honest.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 01-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Banned

One more thing I got to say for those passing judgement on the town........

Why the fcuk are you guys believing a story from a hacker?

They did right by getting evidence but that doesn't mean they are credible sources. They are hackers after all.

Hackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    How many of the aggressors have been booted from the High School? How much public shaming do they receive on a daily basis?

Or are they still just the High School Football (or Baseball) heroes?
    The public shaming is in progress. I think five kids have been suspended from school.

None are currently involved in any sport.

Banned

The public shaming is in progress. I think five kids have been suspended from school.

None are currently involved in any sport
    Too bad Coach Reno was dragged into this. He seems like a man of integrity.

Decent college freshman

The tweets were disgusting and I have nothing but rage toward those who issued them. If you want to talk about the specifics of the case or those involved, either directly by allegedly doing the deed or indirectly by talking about it on the Internet, I'm game... And I'm sure we will come to the same conclusions.

I can't describe to you the level of disdain I have for those kids.

What I'm responding to are these broad strokes being used on an entire community without an iota of proof to back-up claims of a city-wide cover-up. Obviously, I'm going to respond to that, because while I no longer live or work in the area, I still consider myself a member of that community and many of my loved ones (family and friends) live or are from there.

These accusations aren't just about some random place I've never heard of. I know the area intimately and I even know some of the people being wrongfully implicated. Of course I'm going to speak to that. It has nothing to do with football. This goes way beyond some kids playing a game on Friday night.
    It just seems wrong at face value to me that the two kids who did most of the tweeting are still walking free especially if it's true that one of them was the girl's ex and had an axe to grind. Assuming these facts are correct and about them being from well connected families too, then something seems plainly off to me. maybe it's my own suspicious disposition but with all this public scrutiny now, I will reserve judgement and went for the facts to come out.

I'm at work, guys... I'll be able to talk more later.

Banned

I don't know who to believe. I did my own investigation and the names that were mentioned on that "leak" site were indeed football players. RedandBlack said 5 were arrested and were not athletes.

Here is the school's 2012 roster. If you do a search with the names you will see a majority of the alleged rapist, are on the team.

http://www.rollredroll.com/BigRed2k10.htm

Wait is this even real rape? From what I read in the OP it seemed like they fingered her and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Wait is this even real rape? From what I read in the OP it seemed like they fingered her and that's about it.
    [quote]After being convinced, with some amount of coaxing