Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Anxiety/Depression

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    I have a relatively good life, I have good friends and a girlfriend, I live at home and I have a great family. But over the past month something has changed, I've been suffering from some serious anxiety (headaches and such) and some kind of depression, I've also felt no motivation or energy to do anything. I used to have a passion for running but now I feel like it takes too much energy to do, I don't feel like talking to any of my friends because I feel like it takes too much effort. It just sucks because I don't have a shitty life so I have no reason to feel this way, I'm trying to find a job but no one is hiring or ever gets back to me so that doesn't make me feel too good either.

I genuinely like most of you guys here, so I'm just wondering if any of you have been in a situation like this and what you did to make yourself get better.

I don't expect all responses to be serious

Sounds like your friends and family are holding you back, maybe even sabotaging you. In order to fulfil your full potential you need to sever all ties with them immediately.

The less I care, the happier I am.
    Dunno why that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by JebronLames
    How's your digestive system?
    May I ask the pertinence of this question

Don't worry about it bro. Its very common for males between 16-23. Its essentially almost part of growing up. With some people it sticks with them longer than others.
    It all has to do with increased responsibility, pressures of becoming an adult, and just weight of expectation from those close to you and society, that may or may not be real.

Its just your mind and body coming together and saying "shit, I'm getting older, I need to focus and become a proper person". I went through it just as I was about to finish my degree at around 21. It led me to changing to a double degree so I could stay that little longer... I was the same. At one point I didn't feel like hanging with friends, or doing anything for that matter, but eventually you just kind of push through it and find your feet again.

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

Keep your heads up and be positive, clear the things that seems to be the problem. We all went through depression before, you will get through your depression too.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

If it persists for more than two weeks, you should go see a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    May I ask the pertinence of this question
    Your digestive system is underrated when it comes to health. If it's abnormal, it can cause problems including fatigue.

Banned

it happens. depression is a serious thing, not to joke with it and you need to talk about it with other people. sure it will not be fun but you will be glad latter.

try doing something else, even small thing help.

a diet, a workout, healthy eating helps for me when i'm down. embrace your hobbys, watch great movies/documentaries/tv shows, stop wasting time doing nothing etc.

Decent playground baller Ratnik's Avatar

Alcohol and drugs help.

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Don't worry about it bro. Its very common for males between 16-23. Its essentially almost part of growing up. With some people it sticks with them longer than others.
    It all has to do with increased responsibility, pressures of becoming an adult, and just weight of expectation from those close to you and society, that may or may not be real.

Its just your mind and body coming together and saying "shit, I'm getting older, I need to focus and become a proper person". I went through it just as I was about to finish my degree at around 21. It led me to changing to a double degree so I could stay that little longer... I was the same. At one point I didn't feel like hanging with friends, or doing anything for that matter, but eventually you just kind of push through it and find your feet again.
    This definitely pertains to how I feel, obviously there's no excuses when you're an adult but I still feel like there's some fear or worry about growing up. You have to think about finding work in your field and then finding someone to spend the rest of your life with and kids and then making sure they're taken care of.

When it first hit me I kept thinking about death and every little thing that happened to me I thought that I had something serious and that I was going to die, and I'd think to myself that I haven't done anything noteworthy in my life yet so all this time was for nothing.

Thanks for the replies anyways guys, I appreciate it and you've all been helpful

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

good to hear that is normal.
    im recovering from that shit also
    i used to smoke weed like a crazy crackhead for a long time too but im over that for more than a year luckily
    didnt know it was something many people go though tho

Banned

This definitely pertains to how I feel, obviously there's no excuses when you're an adult but I still feel like there's some fear or worry about growing up. You have to think about finding work in your field and then finding someone to spend the rest of your life with and kids and then making sure they're taken care of.

When it first hit me I kept thinking about death and every little thing that happened to me I thought that I had something serious and that I was going to die, and I'd think to myself that I haven't done anything noteworthy in my life yet so all this time was for nothing.

Thanks for the replies anyways guys, I appreciate it and you've all been helpful
    deep post man deep post.
    i now hope the MAgic will be strong very soon again so maybe it will help you a little

5-time NBA All-Star

Also prone to both.

And as others have said it's absolutely useless to talk about external privileges in discussing it.

The poster bdreason gave a in depth thread about it, and there is nothing, literally no amount of dump fukking rhetoric one could do to help someone in that situatino. It's like a dark cloud and mental prison.. a deep dark pit almost impossible to climb up out of.

A starving Somalian is in many ways happier than a legit clinically depressed person.

However I can offer a lifestyle gameplan to slowly but surely ease the suffering.

DR J$

Social Life
    - Find a group similar to Alcoholics Anonymous. I don't care how corney you think they are. It works. Misery loves company and soon that company disperses when the misery does.
    - Find positive, upbeat bros. .they're everywhere and most humans have good hearts. They feel good when they give to others.
    - Love other human beings deeply... friends, family or whatever. Actively love them. I don't care how sad you are you can always be loving. Many fathers have gone through outrageous obstacles because they had sons and daughteres.. think The Road or The Gray for one.
    - Partake in comedy, improv, hiking, and just playing like a child.. Humor is a devastating weapon against tragedy. It is tragedy. Monty Python features that classic skit always look on the bright side of life. and well they're being hung in the sun yet they smiling and laffing. U can do thsi too lol.

Diet and Supplementation
    - Up your Vit D intake and Niacin intake.
    - Increase your healthy fat intake (avocado, peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, egg yolks, lean meats etc.)
    - HEAVILY increase your dark leafy green intake (kale, broccoli, spinach, swiss chard, mustard greens)
    - Increase your tryptohan intake (turkey, good meats, bananas)
    - Drink lemon/alkaline water.
    Take these 3 steps.

Travel
    - The vast majority of depressive thoughts.. think of it as flurries occur when someone's standing still or feeling "trapped" in a situation. Humans were meant to move and not have sedentary lifestyles.
    - BE. ON. THE. MOVE. Explore. Rekindle that old childhood spirit. Take on a curiosity mindset hmmmm what can I laern? so many places to see.
    - That old lyric from the Queen song I want ti all raelly helped .."I'm a man with a one track mind so much to do in one lifetime...."

Exercises
    - Look up Alex Lloyd's Healing Codes. There are 4 certain barins. That and Emotional Tapping. Both are effective in releasing trapped up emotions, and help "liberate" you so to speak.
    - A combination of cardio, weights, and yoga does wonders in slowly curbing it. Neurogenesis BDNF, Testosterone, Somatotropin, endorphins, blood circulation.. fukk yes.

Creative Life
    - Many artists are extremely depressed, yet smash through their days with utmost ferocity because they have an intrisntic motivation to EXPRESS.

FIND YOUR MEDIUM. Poetry. Easel and paint. Sculpture. WHATEVER. and EXPRESS YOURSELF THROUGH IT.

Beliefs
    I would recommend believing in God, but since most of ISH is atheist; I'd suggest delving more into spirituality and things like Pantheism.. the belief that we're all intertwined and come from an original source.
    - Remember kings were given a ring. And everytime something good happened they said "This too shall pass" and everytime somethign bad happened they touched it and said "this too shall pass"
    Stoicism.
    Do not ressit your depression.. understand it is natural like winter.. cherish the human experience. It's perfectly normal and it's a okay

Mentality
    Scientists, warriors, priests, and romantics are usually upbeat because rather than focusing on things like unhappiness they are literally built trained and conditioned to obey and surrender to a highe rpower. The first, Truth, the second, Victory, the third, God the foruth, Love. By allowing yousrelf to embody an abstract idea or principle you'll go far man.

Godspeed.

I'll be honest. I'm also naturally anxious because I did not have a good childhood (relatively speaking) was dirt-poor, alienated, confused, raised on fear rather than love etc. but what had gotten me through the day was to take personal responsibility and pride. Think of one part of your life.. your identity as having a relationshpi with fear/anxiety. Think of it as an imaginary construct in your head and something you just gotta STACK AND PUSH through and become immune.

Batman was deadly scared of bats and Ras told him to harness it.. become it.. embody it. As opposed to thinking of himself as a separate entity he saw fear as part of his consciousness and became it. speaking very hokey pokey here but its hard to express throug hwords. i have to kinda show u how to do this

A lot of public speakers only needed to just climb and inoculate themselves to stage fright step by step; akin to a vaccine.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 02-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by TylerTheCreator
    Good point. I hate when people say "Look how kids in African are living".

Just cause you have it better than some people doesn't mean you are gonna be happy 24/7.
    This rhetoric is one of the filthiest fukking myths taht have ever come to fruitition.

I consider it a filthy disgusting useless ineffective lie that ranks right along with other imbecilic pop culture conventional advice like "u can be whatever u wanna be when u grow up" or "lions are the king of the jungle" or "honestly...preceding a lying statement" or "work smarter" or "u need 2X protein per bw" or "nice guys always get the girl at the end" or other fibs that circulate an otherwise highly evolved human race. Dresta or DD feel free to chime in with other dumb fukking sh!t. Who the fuuk tells a guy after having a divorce and being broken to man up? What good comes of it? His relative happiness point is at an extreme trough.

If I want someone to successfully turn from uninspired to animate, then would not the most efficient thing be to express empathy and follow up with baby steps to bring them back to becoming a stallion?

NBA lottery pick

I have a relatively good life, I have good friends and a girlfriend, I live at home and I have a great family. But over the past month something has changed, I've been suffering from some serious anxiety (headaches and such) and some kind of depression, I've also felt no motivation or energy to do anything. I used to have a passion for running but now I feel like it takes too much energy to do, I don't feel like talking to any of my friends because I feel like it takes too much effort. It just sucks because I don't have a shitty life so I have no reason to feel this way, I'm trying to find a job but no one is hiring or ever gets back to me so that doesn't make me feel too good either.

I genuinely like most of you guys here, so I'm just wondering if any of you have been in a situation like this and what you did to make yourself get better.

I don't expect all responses to be serious
    If there are truly no extrinsic factors causing you to feel this way then it could be a serotonin deficiency in the brain. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is a treatment with no side effects that has led to long term remission in many patients that have suffered from chronic anxiety and depression. Since it has been only one month I would wait it out. TMS is very expensive and it is usually recommended only when medication has failed(poor efficacy or too much side effects). Goolgle TMS therapy and look up the Dr. OZ segment on it on youtube if you want more info.
    Last edited by Ca$H; 02-22-2014 at 04:10 PM.