Learning to shoot layups

Default Driving the Lane

This is probably my biggest weakness. I have a good handle, great shot, good defense. But my ability to take contact and having the ball stripped from me is becoming a plaguing issue. It may seem natural for people to drive and honestly im not scared of contact but when i drive usually i get the ball stripped from me. or i cant take any contact

Im only 5'11 158 so i know i need to get bigger. If yall have any tips for driving/ protecting the ball it be appreciated. Im gona try to find a video to give yall a better understanding of how i drive

Default Re: Driving the Lane

When I drive, I try to take 1 or 2 hard dribbles, then cradle the ball, or press it against my chest. I works most of the time, so you can try it out and see if it works for you.

Here's a video that helped me when I had the same problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnkp9KQcN4c

Learning to shoot layups

Yea i cradle the ball alot, that usually when it happens. but i just do it naturally and i only have 1 hand on the ball so when i get stripped i dont have the strength to rip through it

* Looking at the video you posted, i probably keep the ball too low... every time he has it chest level. im gonna try it our Tomorrow

Saw a basketball once

i need help about this too im not good at driving the lane but have a okay handle and great shot what i do about this situation is post up and spin from there but i sometimes cradle the ball and it sometimes basket is made or not but i got to improve though.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Brandon Roy's Avatar

I'm not an expert, but I do have a few tips.

1. I think alot of it has to do with mentality. Make sure you attack the basket aggressively. That means, with force. Practice this before you do it in a game.

2. When driving, pound the ball hard into the ground. Stay low. Take long strides, if possible.

3. When you pick up the ball,protect the ball with your body and head. For example, if your defender is to your left, hold the ball with two hands around where your right cheek and right shoulder are. Stick your left elbow out. When you do this, you are protecting the ball with your face, left elbow and your torso. You might get hit in the face, but it's better than losing the ball.

4. Don't avoid contact; invite it. When you let everyone know that your open to being physical, many players will respect that and even back off at times. Don't be a dick, but be solid and tough.

5. Keep it unpredictable. Mix it up with layups, floaters, and passes. If the defense knows you're always going to pass, their hands will stay low and they will try to strip you.

Also, don't be conscious of being on the smaller side. Work on it, but don't show weakness. Some of the best drivers ever were small guys (i.e. Allen Iverson, Kevin Johnson, etc.).

I hope that helps.

Learning to shoot layups

Appreciate all the help from everyone. I practice then used all the tips and ive pretty much been successful. I think making sure i keep the ball close to me really help. I had a tendency to leave it out there, which is why i got stripped a lot.

I'm gonna keep driving more as it opens it up for my jump shot. but good looking out to every1 who posted

Scal
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I was having problems with this too up until recently. Not so much on playgrounds, but in the rec league I play in I was consistently missing lay-ups in traffic in the half-court and on the break (2-on-1 situations - made me begin to pass up to a teammate no matter what in these situations).

But I think Brandon Roy ( ) knocked the nail on the head in his first point. I think I actually read a post on here and realized I had to have the right mentality when going to the hoop. I realized that I had, not neccessarily been afraid of contact, but avoiding it (part of being a more finesse than power player) and not going up agressive enough.

I changed my mindset to 'I'm going to score, or at the very least draw contact and get fouled'. Finally starting making them in traffic, and like that video in the link, using my body to protect the ball (which has lead to a ton of free throws), and I also found out that only the most determined shot blockers will actually truly contest you - guys that aren't girfted tend to just look to stop you from getting the 2 and fouling or just give it to you - particularly on the break.

Serious playground baller I.Malcolm's Avatar

For me it became a two part problem:

1)Physically how I chose to attack.
    2)Mentally how I prepared myself when I drove.

I'm 5'10 150, so I'm a small guy and I play with some taller guys which isn't all a bad thing. After I got over my fear of contact and made the conscious decision to go THROUGH people (because before I was afraid of contact, but if you run at the guys I play with... they give up ground) I was able to drive better.

The second thing for me was just getting low. I got real good at getting my body low and a few hard dribbles and a burst of speed would have me by the guys guarding the paint.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by I.Malcolm
    I'm 5'10 150, so I'm a small guy and I play with some taller guys which isn't all a bad thing. After I got over my fear of contact and made the conscious decision to go THROUGH people (because before I was afraid of contact, but if you run at the guys I play with... they give up ground) I was able to drive better.
    Good call. Basketball rules have long been set up greatly in favor of the offensive attacker in this regard. If an offensive player runs over someone standing still, it'll be a charge. And if an offensive player goes out of their way to intentionally elbow or kick the defender, it could be an offensive foul. Otherwise, it's nearly free reign for a player attacking the rim. If the defender is not standing still, it's fair game to attack them as hard as you want to.

Offensive players can dictate outcomes a lot more often than many think they can. It doesn't mean we're free to call defensive fouls every time we seek out contact and attack, but it does mean we shouldn't worry about having to try to avoid defenders all the time, as if they're a danger to us. Like you said, I think it's most effective when a player takes it to them (intelligently).

I suppose a lot of that type of attack might have to do with size though. I think it's a good frame of mind regardless though. Allowing the defender to come at you as opposed to you going at the defender is a real power shift.