Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Increase vertical quick

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    There is no such thing man, leaping ability is mostly biological/genetical.... its genetical fast-twitch muscle strings/ligaments/tendons in hips, knees and ankles which sepparates a 50" inch leaper from a 30" inch leaper who have done the exact same training their entire life...

I have a friend who is 5'11" and dunks on a 10 foot rim like nothing... he has never played any basketball or sports really and is very skinny, all he does is jogging....

What you can do is workout and get the vertical leap to the best of YOUR genetical ability.... and that you can do by doing plyometrics, sprints and squats...

But you CANT increase the power/size/ability of your fast twitch strings/ligaments/tendons to ever increasing heights... that there is genetical.... there is a limit in all of us.... just like you cant make your bones grow and become taller.........

Trust me when i say just simply play basketball, work on your game, skills instead.... that you CAN improve to ever increasing heights... THERE IS NO LIMIT TO HOW SKILLED YOU CAN BECOME, BUT THERE IS A LIMIT TO HOW HIGH YOU CAN JUMP....
    Though there may be a genetic peak, I feel 99.9% of people never train hard enough to reach that peak. As such, I think it's very, very frequently possible to increase one's own vertical over an extended period of time. It won't be a matter of jogging a little bit and jumping rope every day then ~ BOOM ~, hitting a genetic peak. It'd take something a lot more frequent, consistent and maximizing. Again, I'd say most of us will never reach that peak in the first place, so there's likely always going to be room to improve.

Perhaps more common is the fact that most of us will push ourselves as far as we're willing to go, thus peaking out where we feel relatively comfortable. I did that. I worked very hard and became a pretty solid dunker. Inside though, I knew I hadn't reached my peak and through increased training, I've bumped my vertical up even higher at age 28. I still don't think I've peaked, but I'm not sure I'll ever push far enough to get there.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.