Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Donatas Motiejunas...

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Yeah I dont think anyone disputes his talent and potential. Its the work ethic, attitude, character, motor. Those things people are questioning. I read too much where this dude disappears in games. Gets frustrated easily and checks out. Thats enough to turn someone away. So we'll see how he responds to the criticism. He's away from his comfort zone now. The media, coaches, players will be at him. Lets see how he handles it.

Darko was hyped up as the euro KG. And now he is nothing more than a servicable big man (backup center). You gotta be mentally and emotionally prepared to deliver. Hopefully this dude can do that in Houston or he might be on a plane ticket back home.
    Motiejunas is far more talented, he plays for one of the best teams in Europe and he's faced better opponents than any other player in the draft..

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Motiejunas is far more talented, he plays for one of the best teams in Europe and he's faced better opponents than any other player in the draft..
    What does him being far more talented have to do with my point?

I just think the Rockets saw an opportunity to get Flynn and a guy they saw as being good enough to be a lottery pick for Brad Miller. No planning beyond just being another trade piece in their quest to trade for a top guy. He isn't even coming over right?

Quote Originally Posted by RoTM
    I just think the Rockets saw an opportunity to get Flynn and a guy they saw as being good enough to be a lottery pick for Brad Miller. No planning beyond just being another trade piece in their quest to trade for a top guy. He isn't even coming over right?
    They want donatas more then they want flynn

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Well people who haven't played organised basketball at at least a semi-high level tend to have no clue. This should be a new thread, but it's funny to see so many people convinced the know everything about basketball while most of their experience of the sport comes from watching a screen.

Well, Chuck is a free agent, and Hill kinda sucks so it might not be that hard.

C - Hill/Motiejunas/Thabeet
    PF - Scola/Patterson
    SF - Morris/Budinger/Parsons

I figure he could get away with playing the center position now that it's all but dead. But, even if Hayes is re-signed, I could still see Motiejunas getting minutes at center or power forward because Hayes played center last year. Jordan Hill and Thabeet need to improve A LOT.
    I think Morey will ship Lee/Scola/Picks/Hill for a decent center + some bad contract.

We should be rolling with:

C: New Center/Hayes/Thabeet
    PF: Motie/Patterson
    PF: Morris/Budinger/Squid
    SG: Martin/Dragic/Squid
    PG: Lowry/Dragic//Flynn

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    Well people who haven't played organised basketball at at least a semi-high level tend to have no clue. This should be a new thread, but it's funny to see so many people convinced the know everything about basketball while most of their experience of the sport comes from watching a screen.
    And AGAIN, people that do play can not have a clue. That's why I'm saying bringing that up is somewhat irrelevant as it doesn't prove anything. Especially when you factor in that his criticisms are coming from scouts and people paid to evaluate talent, many of whom have played the game at a sem-high level.

Or am I off somewhere?

I thought Houston did an amazing job of picking him up for a later pick and the now useless Miller (and a future first, but knowing Morey it was prob highly protected). Houston should really try to flip one or two of their solid PFs into a center. No need for Scola now with Patterson, Motie and Marcus all being able to play PF.

I was really hoping that NY would've been able to flip Doulgas and cash for Flynn and #20 like had been rumored. Then coming out with Shumpert and Donatas (and Flynn), we would've done amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    I thought Houston did an amazing job of picking him up for a later pick and the now useless Miller (and a future first, but knowing Morey it was prob highly protected). Houston should really try to flip one or two of their solid PFs into a center. No need for Scola now with Patterson, Motie and Marcus all being able to play PF.

I was really hoping that NY would've been able to flip Doulgas and cash for Flynn and #20 like had been rumored. Then coming out with Shumpert and Donatas (and Flynn), we would've done amazing.
    It was Memphis' 2013 first round pick (lotto protected until 2016)

So Morey traded a non-lotto first for Motie
    Miller + Cash (bought back 38th pick for cash) for Flynn

Fantastic move

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

And AGAIN, people that do play can not have a clue. That's why I'm saying bringing that up is somewhat irrelevant as it doesn't prove anything. Especially when you factor in that his criticisms are coming from scouts and people paid to evaluate talent, many of whom have played the game at a sem-high level.

Or am I off somewhere?
    I agree. But people who play MIGHT have a clue, while those who don't almost never do. Anyway it's off topic.

The scouts are so often wrong, especially when it comes to foreign players, that I don't take this argument that seriously. You'd think most of them spend their days visiting the country instead of watching the games, and when they have to write something they invent whatever story sounds believable to make their boss happy.

Have you ever seen a draft report for a euro that DOESN'T look like this?

"Good shooting ability and flair, but it remains to be seen if he has the body to play defense in the NBA. He's a little small for his position. He needs to put on some weight, too".

I think there's a template somewhere, and these guys just change the names. I'm sure somewhere you can find a guy writing about how Schortsanitis needs to put on some weight.

Edit: to answer your point more directly, I don't disagree with you, it's just funny to see people so sure of themselves and saying things like "he'll be a bust" or "he's the next Olajuwon" when they have no idea.
    Last edited by Nero Tulip; 06-24-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Motiejūnas not lazy, he works hard. Is another reason.
    [QUOTE]Scouts remain concerned about several aspects of Lithuanian power forward Donatas Motiejunas

NBA sixth man of the year

I'm not going to lie here - I am literally expecting for this kid to be a disappointment.

If he turns out to be good, great. He was projected to be a lottery pick and we got him at 20, got rid of Brad Miller's contract (he's worthless), and we got Jonny Flynn (who has sucked so far but does still have potential). I like the trade, but my hopes aren't that high for Motiejunas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    Have you ever seen a draft report for a euro that DOESN'T look like this?

"Good shooting ability and flair, but it remains to be seen if he has the body to play defense in the NBA. He's a little small for his position. He needs to put on some weight, too".
    Jan Vesely (except for put on some weight part)

And for Donatas...
    Guy is really, really talented and his career depends just on his mental toughness and will. He looks kinda cocky (a la Gallinari), that means that he's more interesting to watch than most of the other players. We'll see how good will he be in the NBA.

bump

just read that he led the euroleague in rebounding. that was the big knock on him right? poor rebounder, and lack of toughness

how did he do this year, and how is he looking as a prospect?